Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bought NEX-6 - feel bulkier

Just bought NEX-6 as an impulse purchase although I have NEX 5 & 5n from a friend who decided against it in just one day after buying it.

Viewfinder is excellent, and camera is overall very responsive. However, I am a bit disappointed by the weight and the bulk compared to my 5/5n even with an external viewfinder attached. I loved 3/5 series, they are so compact and lost a bit of that advantage with NEX 6. I really failed to understand what made it noticeable bulkier - built-in viewfinder which I also had with 5n, a built in flash which I don't use, any other things? On a side note, missing touch screen is an another disappointment

QuoteQuote:
From Compare camera dimensions side by side

Sony NEX-5N is 8% (9.1 mm) narrower and 12% (8.1 mm) shorter than Sony NEX-6.
Sony NEX-5N is 10% (4.4 mm) thinner than Sony NEX-6.
Sony NEX-5N [269 g] weights 22% (76 grams) less than Sony NEX-6 [345 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

12-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a NEX-5R and NEX-6, as well as a K-3 (acquired in that order). I also notice the difference in size between the 5R and the 6, and I also miss the 5R's touch-screen. Looking on the bright side, though, these differences in cameras enable me to rationalize owning all three The 5R is my go-to camera at home. I usually have the 50mm f/1.8 lens on it and I use it a lot to photograph our cats. Being able to move the focus point by touching the screen and to crouch down on the floor with the screen tilted to be parallel with the floor makes it a great camera for pet portraits. It's also a good camera for short trips when I don't expect to be photographing outdoors much (the lack of an optical viewfinder makes it harder to use outside). For example, I recently took it on a trip to Toronto when I didn't want to carry much and I only expected to be doing a little shooting (some candid shots at a party and some pet/kid portraits at a brunch).

The K-3 is my "serious" camera. I take it with me almost any time I have a photographic adventure planned, and I like it especially for photographing animals outside (nice to have the 300mm focal length available on the 55-300 lens). I also expect to use it for portrait work with on- and off-camera flash. And of course, it will come with me whenever the weather seems a bit dodgy. It's a bit heavy, but I'll lug it to Borneo along with various lenses.

I take the NEX-6 when I expect to be photographing outdoors in decent weather but when either 1) photography is not the major purpose of the trip; or 2) space or weight are at a premium. For example, I'd expect to take it on a city weekend break where I might do a fair bit of street photography but don't want to carry a larger camera.

I find it kind of interesting that when I summarize how I use these cameras, the NEX-6 appears to have fallen to third place in terms of how often I expect to use it. But it does continue to serve a useful purpose, so I'm glad I have it.
12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
HSV
Veteran Member

The NEX 6 is tad bigger...but I think it's a decent tradeoff for the better grip, EVF, (bounce-able) in camera flash, and a hot shoe.

I have owned a NEX F3, while it was, let' say, 80% smaller, it is also missing functions that are somehow critical for me...specially the hot shoe. The ability to attach a higher power TTL flash and bounce it on a wall or ceiling is pretty much my standard way to take indoor photos.

In the end, I guess it depends in the type of photograph you expect to use the camera for.