Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLR users - do you also own a compact camera?

Curious to know how many DSLR users/owners who also own a high end compact camera. I am talking primarily about the APS-C compacts like the Fuji x100(s), Ricoh GR, Nikon A, etc. While I just love what my K-5IIs and higher end lenses are giving me, for some reason I have this lust for a Ricoh GR right now but having a hard time justifying it.

I guess the main reason for a lot of folks to add a compact would be for when being out and about to always have a camera with them. I've read some articles/posts that the compact cameras are struggling since most people will use their cell phone with camera for this. Well I don't own a cell phone and have no reason to buy one.

Another point about myself is that I am not out and about much at all anymore - can't work anymore and only leave my home/property once a week for a grocery run. But part of that is also because of a nasty case of RA, I just don't have the strength in my hand/fingers to even pick my camera up some days. Yes, my K-5IIs is always equipped with a grip plus usually has the DA* 300 on it as I shoot mostly wildlife and like to have it at the ready for when something comes strolling past the house. I do own a DA 12-24 which is a fantastic lens and similar in focal length to these compacts, but still a pretty big/heavy rig on those tough days.

So why I want a Ricoh GR or similar is beyond me except for the point that I would be able to do some shooting on those days when I just can't hold my camera.

Also, I did try a Fuji x100 a year or so ago. I quickly got frustrated with it being a fixed focal length. Having thought more about that now and reflecting, I can see that it would take quite a bit of discipline to get used to the wider fixed lens.

So enough rambling for now - I guess the question I am asking is for those who own a high end compact along with a DSLR, how and when do you use it? Do you feel you could do without it and just use your DSLR?

12-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Q7.
Perfect accompaniment.

Like yesterday, I brought the kids to the zoo.
I knew that serious animal shooting would not be possible, but did not want to miss out totally.
So I grabbed the A7 with a 28mm for the 'I was there' shots and the Q7+06 zoom (for the 200mm f2.8 long reach)

Edit (added photos)

A series of shots with the Q7 and 06 zoom.
Since it was a family trip to the zoo, I knew photography was to take a back seat.
So the the Q7+06 zoom does really well w/o weighing a ton.
A mini 70-200mm.

Last edited by pinholecam; 12-31-2013 at 07:22 AM.
12-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Sony Nex-5R APS-C; while it is not a true compact, it will fit in a considerably smaller bag than my K-30, especially with a smaller lens. The 5R has been my go-to camera for the past year, and I recently added the K-30 to have a weather-sealed DSLR presence. I, too think mine complement each other well. I also love the fact that I can use old MF lenses on each camera.

Tony
12-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This might be off topic a bit, but have you thought about a monopod to take the weight off the hands when shooting around home? As for a compact, not a clue which to get. But worth a shot trying one out!
Joel

12-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure it's the high end compact you mean, Stan, but I have a Canon PowerShot S95. Takes an okay photo -- vastly superior to any mobile phone I've yet to see -- and offers a great deal of manual control for a compact. Best of all shoots RAW. I like it because it is tiny and robust. I thought of upgrading now the PowerShot S120 has a CMOS sensor but reviews suggest I could only expect one-third or one-quarter the battery life I get from the S95.
12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a GR along with my 3 system cameras. It's waaaay too many cameras, and I find I use my GR about 50% of the time.
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few. Panasonic LX2 (love the 16X9 native format). It is the smallest. Pentax Q w/01 prime ( my most used). Sigma DP1Merrill for the absolute best quality. Have others, but these are the important 3.
thanks
barondla

12-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah It's called my Smartphone...It's so High end I pay an ungodly amount every month for it.
12-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot rangefinder Leica's a lot more than my K-5, and with the M9 (FF) I find I use a 35mm lens most of the time (either Zeiss Biogon f2.0 or Leica Summarit f2.5). These combinations do amazing with crops to 100% if I get lazy about moving my feet, but normally I "see" pictures w/ 35 FOV. So I added a Fuji X100S since it has that effective FOV, and is also an easy camera for my wife to use. (She isn't into photography, but likes to take snapshots of the grandkids.)
The Fuji gives very good results, and with its high ISO capability does nice in dim light. However, in dim room light I can still nail focus better with the M9 rangefinder, and the image holds up to greater enlargement than the Fuji. But considering the cost difference...
Many years ago after changing to Leica I got an MX as a cheaper carry-around camera. The Fuji fills the same role now.
12-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use my Nokia 808 and a NEX 3 with a 30mm prime along with my D7100 kit.
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have a Q7.
Perfect accompaniment.
While I haven't tried the Q7, I did have a Q with a couple lenses. The IQ was very good for a small sensor, but it wasn't truly pocketable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
This might be off topic a bit, but have you thought about a monopod to take the weight off the hands when shooting around home? As for a compact, not a clue which to get. But worth a shot trying one out!
Joel
Good suggestion. I've never used a monopod before. When doing my wildlife shooting I am on a tripod 99% of the time. Since I can't do much walking or any hiking, I set myself up with a chair and tripod with my longer lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Not sure it's the high end compact you mean, Stan, but I have a Canon PowerShot S95. Takes an okay photo -- vastly superior to any mobile phone I've yet to see -- and offers a great deal of manual control for a compact. Best of all shoots RAW. I like it because it is tiny and robust. I thought of upgrading now the PowerShot S120 has a CMOS sensor but reviews suggest I could only expect one-third or one-quarter the battery life I get from the S95.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am shying away from anything less than an APC-C sensor. I've tried a couple compacts with smaller sensors over the years. While like you say you can get "OK" photos, I am so spoiled by what I get from my K-5IIs that I get frustrated with anything less. I realize there are compromises to be made when looking at compact cameras, but when I found the Ricoh GR has the same sensor as my K-5IIs I became instantly intrigued.

------------------------------------------------

I really appreciate everyone's replies - it is helping me think this through. Since I really don't need the portability or pocketability, I guess I should look more into rigging that will help me with my current setup as Joel B suggests.
12-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stan,
Yes, I do, but not ASP-C. I have a Fuji X-10 and love it, but the zoom has limits. Great exposures and color, and easy to use. I have thought about the GR or better still from my viewpoint, the Fuji X-100/100s, but have hesitated for different reasons than you. A fixed wide angle will not take care of your needs.

It sounds like you want a lighter camera to still make the photos like you've shared--with a 300mm lens. That requires a zoom and larger sensor. There are lots of options, first zoom lens options for a Pentax body. My K-30 is pretty light, and the new 55-300 zoom sounds good, too.

I'm not sure just where to go with this, but I'm not sure a system change is right. The K-01 is not a solution, I like mine, but it is not what you need. The 5-iis is hard to beat; I think different lens choices might help, and I know it is a compromise, but so are the options you've mentioned. Do you have other Pentax lenses to use? You can't use a fixed 300mm lens with it, you might be able to use the zoom.

I have a 4/3 camera that takes great pics, but it a real pain to use also. Everything is a compromise of some kind, you need to narrow your criteria, scientifically. You need to make the decision, but I'd trade lens options on the 5-iis before changing systems. I don't want to make less of your limitations at all, either, so excuse me, and tell me, if I have.

David
12-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do not own any compact cameras. I just have my digital and film slrs.
12-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Stan,
Yes, I do, but not ASP-C. I have a Fuji X-10 and love it, but the zoom has limits. Great exposures and color, and easy to use. I have thought about the GR or better still from my viewpoint, the Fuji X-100/100s, but have hesitated for different reasons than you. A fixed wide angle will not take care of your needs.

It sounds like you want a lighter camera to still make the photos like you've shared--with a 300mm lens. That requires a zoom and larger sensor. There are lots of options, first zoom lens options for a Pentax body. My K-30 is pretty light, and the new 55-300 zoom sounds good, too.

I'm not sure just where to go with this, but I'm not sure a system change is right. The K-01 is not a solution, I like mine, but it is not what you need. The 5-iis is hard to beat; I think different lens choices might help, and I know it is a compromise, but so are the options you've mentioned. Do you have other Pentax lenses to use? You can't use a fixed 300mm lens with it, you might be able to use the zoom.

I have a 4/3 camera that takes great pics, but it a real pain to use also. Everything is a compromise of some kind, you need to narrow your criteria, scientifically. You need to make the decision, but I'd trade lens options on the 5-iis before changing systems. I don't want to make less of your limitations at all, either, so excuse me, and tell me, if I have.

David
Thanks for your input David - and you are not picking on my limitations at all!

After reading what you wrote, it made me realize that I indeed need to find a way to use the gear I have and possibly add a lighter lens. One of my problems, is that I always have the grip on the camera. While I know it adds extra weight, I really need it to be able to get a sound grip on the camera when I have my DA* 300 or DA* 60-250 mounted. Here are the lenses I currently own:

DA 10-17
DA 12-24
DFA 50 Macro
DFA 100 Macro WR
DA* 60-250
DA* 300

Just thinking out loud after you have helped provoke some thinking on my end, is to try to get into the habit of removing the grip and using one of my smaller lenses when I take a short walk. I'm going to try that tomorrow with the DFA 100 - just thinking about the camera less the grip with the 100mm attached should make a fairly light setup. I also have a sling strap setup so that might put it all together for me. Here is how I have my sling strap setup - this is with the grip plus my very much needed hand strap:

Showing with the DA* 50-135 which I no longer own:

Also wanted to add - your suggestion of the DA 55-300 is a very good one. I had a good copy of one previously, but when comparing it to my DA* 60-250 it just wasn't the same. I know this is a personal problem as i am an absolute IQ fanatic. The 55-300 would do fine when stopped down a notch. Thinking more on that line I may consider one for when I need a lighter setup.
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I own no compact cameras, not fixed lens anyways. My only fixed lens compact I use is a WG10 at work. However, I do own a Q and Q7 and both get the compact camera duties, and for anything else the camera in my phone will do just fine. That being said I do want an MX-1.