Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Decisions, descisions, Pentax to Sony

Here is the deal. I have been loving my Pentax ride for the last couple years and there is nothing wrong with this kit, so why am I thinking of jumping on the Sony boat? I bought a used NEX 5r a couple months ago and quite literally have fallen in love with it. Sure it has shortcomings, namely the interface, but I am slowly getting more comfortable with said interface. So I have been thinking on selling my entire pentax kit and getting a Sony dslr to complete my transformation. If you were in my shoes which Sony dslr would you get. I am not endured to FF so croppers are fine. Would probably have $1500 or so for body and a few "a" lens. I probably go used as its better value. So what models should I be looking at. I would hold on to a few pentax manual lens, but get rid of the rest of my stable. Please don't bother trying to talk me out of it as I am not sure I even will. Just trying to get a feel for their dslrs and some ideas for research. Another thought was getting the adapter to use "a" glass on the nex. Any suggestions?

12-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would wait until they have a more advanced camera than A3000 with E-mount.
IMO there is not much advantage getting a Sony camera with A-mount if you like Nex cameras with E-mount. A full support nex adapter for A.mount is very expensive so IMO a E-mount camera is a much better option.

Sony stopped manufacturing DSLR a few years ago, so your only option for a modern A-mount camera is a SLT.
12-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There aren't any Sony DSLRs.
They stopped it for the SLTs about 4yrs ago.
Now it seems that they have also moved away from their SLTs and A-mount into the new NEX E mount with the Sony A7/r

As for the SLTs, I'd say "Stay away"
The 1/3 stop of light loss because of the translucent mirror takes it toll from ISO1600 and up.
Its also imho abandoned for the E mount and will need a clunky adapter for use of the A-mount lenses.

The route for Sony will be to go E-mount with the aps-C NEX cameras or the FF A7/r cameras.
12-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The full-frame Sony units will be the way to go. Though I would sit tight and see how this develops. Though you haven't said what shortcomings you are trying to overcome.

12-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
There aren't any Sony DSLRs.
They stopped it for the SLTs about 4yrs ago.
Now it seems that they have also moved away from their SLTs and A-mount into the new NEX E mount with the Sony A7/r

As for the SLTs, I'd say "Stay away"
The 1/3 stop of light loss because of the translucent mirror takes it toll from ISO1600 and up.
Its also imho abandoned for the E mount and will need a clunky adapter for use of the A-mount lenses.

The route for Sony will be to go E-mount with the aps-C NEX cameras or the FF A7/r cameras.
(SR4) 4 mio dot EVF for the next generation of A.mount cameras. | sonyalpharumors
(SR4) First few Hybrid A-E mount model details. | sonyalpharumors
(SR5) One High End E-Mount APS-C within 4-6 weeks. Two A-mount cameras to come within January and April. | sonyalpharumors
(SR4) Sigma 18-35mm A-mount could ship in January. | sonyalpharumors
(SR4) 24-105 f/4 FF A-mount coming end 2014. | sonyalpharumors
(SR4) First specs about the new Sony 54 Megapixel Full Frame sensor! | sonyalpharumors
(SR4) A-mount showdown between February and April. 4K A-mount camera coming. | sonyalpharumors

Image on top shows the Sony 4K mockup camera
12-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had been hoping that Sony would come out with a weather-sealed A5000, but decided to go with a Pentax K-30, which I'm liking very much. I'm still keeping my Nex-5R, which works very well with the stable of Minolta lenses I've accumulated. YMMV

Tony
12-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

that all you got? most of us in the real world probably won't gamble our future platform expenditures on the totally unsubstantiated predictions of *one* website, especially that site.

rwingsfan, if you can shoot everything you need with that nex that you own now, why not look at a used nex7, maybe with 30mm & 60mm sigma lenses... cheap glass with very good resolution, and the nex7 will mount just about any lens that's ever been made, with the right adapter.

01-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That "hybrid A-E mount" rumor, for how long is it running?
Now it has a lever to "lift" the A mount, where exactly is not specified.
01-01-2014, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That "hybrid A-E mount" rumor, for how long is it running?
Now it has a lever to "lift" the A mount, where exactly is not specified.
Not as long as a Pentax FF body rumor has been running.
01-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
....So I have been thinking on selling my entire pentax kit and getting a Sony dslr to complete my transformation. If you were in my shoes which Sony dslr would you get.....
Why not nex-6 or nex-7 instead of Sony DSLR since you already liked 5r.
01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Why not nex-6 or nex-7 instead of Sony DSLR since you already liked 5r.

Not sure what getting one of those models would do other than make my 5r redundant. Was thinking more along the lines of using "A" mount glass
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that all you got? most of us in the real world probably won't gamble our future platform expenditures on the totally unsubstantiated predictions of *one* website, especially that site.

rwingsfan, if you can shoot everything you need with that nex that you own now, why not look at a used nex7, maybe with 30mm & 60mm sigma lenses... cheap glass with very good resolution, and the nex7 will mount just about any lens that's ever been made, with the right adapter.
Right, all of the Sony cameras on that site are just rumors and will never be produced.
(SR5) Cheap NEX-FF has 24MP, High End NEX-FF has 36 MP | sonyalpharumors
01-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
especially that site.
And what is the problem with 'that' site?
01-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It appears they're too eager to post totally unsubstantiated predictions/rumors. Will we ever see that hybrid mount? Or Olympus' one, for that matter. Photorumors is no better, they were easily fooled by Adam's April 1st "joke" - I would definitely not believe rumors until verified by at least another source.

By the way, claiming that all rumors are plausible because some of them were true is called faulty generalization
01-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
bvg
Veteran Member

It appears they're too eager to post totally unsubstantiated predictions/rumors.
I do not have such impression. And specialization of that site is Sony rumors, other rumors are just copied from other sites.

Will we ever see that hybrid mount?
between late 2014 and early 2015 with probability 75%

Last edited by bvg; 01-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.