Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestions for a Canon FD body ...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Bonjour,

I have recently acquired a couple of FD lenses (see below) that I would like to use on an FD body ... but since I know "zero" about Canon FD's, looking for some input and advice ... I am going to shoot B&W with them, and it will be a "fun" experimental system exploration for me ...

Thanks in advance ... Salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-16-2015 at 04:58 AM.
01-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I would suggest either the Canon AE-1 Program or A1. Look on EBay, KEH Camera or Shopgoodwill.com or if you want you can get an FD to K mount adapter ( with the glass for infinity focus) for use with your Pentax cameras and not have to buy a different camera system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-mount-Lens-to-Pentax-K-PK-adapter-for-K10D-...-/180861364555

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B0095OODVO

If you get either of the Canons, You may encounter shutter squeak which you can fix yourself. I had to do that with my A1 it's not hard to do. If you do get one of them let me know I have web site links to the "free" repair and owners manuals.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-01-2014 at 11:43 AM.
01-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've got an F1 and an EF. Both good cameras (and I'd be likely willing to part with--pm if interested).
The AE-1's are as common as dirt and famous for 'squeaking'.
The T90 was the most advanced model with the FD mount.
01-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't mind manual exposure, the Canon F1 was their equivalent to the Pentax LX, and is a solid camera. Lower priced, the FTb is a capable model for these lenses. I've overhauled both models, and they are very well made.

01-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I would suggest either the Canon AE-1 Program or A1. Look on EBay, KEH Camera or Shopgoodwill.com or if you want you can get an FD to K mount adapter ( with the glass for infinity focus) for use with your Pentax cameras and not have to buy a different camera system.

Canon FD Mount Lens to Pentax K PK Adapter for K10D K200D K100D K 01 K R K x K 5 | eBay

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Canon FD, FL Lens to Pentax K (PK) DSLRs Camera, FD-PK Pro: Camera & Photo

If you get either of the Canons, You may encounter shutter squeak which you can fix yourself. I had to do that with my A1 it's not hard to do. If you do get one of them let me know I have web site links to the "free" repair and owners manuals.
Thanks for your message ... I already have a de-glassed Skoptic (?) adapter and have played around with it on the K-5 ... see below the 135/2.5 on the K-5, plus a wide-open low-light test shot ... I'll give an AE-1 Program or an A-1 a thought ... this coming April is the Poitiers' film cub expo/swap meet and I want to get my shopping list started now ... Salut, J

PS - I have an AE-1 at the moment that a co-worker gave me to look at for her (since I am the known camera "expert") ... it's got gummy seals and the advance crank is stuck ... an SLR sat a long time in a musty ol' bag ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-01-2014 at 01:03 PM.
01-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
...EF. AE-1's are as common...T90 was the most advanced..
Wow, I had those three as well. The EF w/50 1.8 was $300 in 1976, in an Army PX. Bought it instead of a camera named Pentax sitting right next to it. Dumped all of that in 2005, and got a Canon A95 :-)
01-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks for your message ... I already have a de-glassed Skoptic (?) adapter and have played around with it on the K-5 ... see below the 135/2.5 on the K-5, plus a wide-open low-light test shot ... I'll give an AE-1 Program or an A-1 a thought ... this coming April is the Poitiers' film cub expo/swap meet and I want to get my shopping list started now ... Salut, J

PS - I have an AE-1 at the moment that a co-worker gave me to look at for her (since I am the known camera "expert") ... it's got gummy seals and the advance crank is stuck ... an SLR sat a long time in a musty ol' bag ...
The AE-1 Program is the better of the AE's...Here's a link to the manual site..Be patient it takes a bit to load.

The Canon FD Documentation Project - Main Menu

Canon A-series DIY Repair / Shutter Squeak etc.

Look at the 2nd link, If I remember correctly if the gears are not lubricated then the shutter wont release and cause the camera not to be able to advance. Also you can get seal material and replace the seals.. With it being an AE-1 unless you like to tinker instead of paying to get seal material and taking the time to fix it she would be better off getting a working condition one. The F1 and A1 are still not so common, with the F1 being the rarer of the two, and the pricing for good working condition ones are still around $100.00 up. The T90 has a pricey tag still also. One of the beauties of the F1 or A1 are the viewfinders, 100% and bright so they are easy to manual focus.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-01-2014 at 02:51 PM.
01-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The AE-1 Program is the better of the AE's...Here's a link to the manual site..Be patient it takes a bit to load. ...
Merci beaucoup Oldbayrunner,

Many thanks for the links and info ...

Here's what I got sitting in front of me:
(1.) an AE-1 (n° 3100395) in decent cosmetic shape; dead battery; with a FD 50/1.8 with "A" button and it's "hazed" ...
(2.) a Sigma (FD) 70-200/4-5.6 with "A" button ... which I cannot seem to mount on the AE-1 ?! (weird) ...
(3.) a Canon Speedlight 177A with pouch, but battery door is stuck/corroded bad, really bad ... haven't even tried to open it ...
(4.) an owner's manual in French ... no problem for me ... and
(5.) a very mildew smelling camera bag that should be thrown away ...

I can DYI the seals & mirror stop, but dislike doing it ... it's the jammed advance that's got me.

If I were a "betting" person, this gear is probably going to be "gifted" to me, once I tell her how much work is needed to fix it up ... that might be a nice thing for me, but I need another "project" like I need another hole in my head ... oh well, I will probably see her on Monday, and as the French say, "On verra ..."

It was this AE-1 package that got me thinking about getting an FD body, etc. (a good one, that is) and the reason for my post here ... Thanks again, J

PS - forgot to attach the image ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-16-2015 at 04:58 AM.
01-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I've got an F1 and an EF. Both good cameras (and I'd be likely willing to part with--pm if interested).
The AE-1's are as common as dirt and famous for 'squeaking'.
The T90 was the most advanced model with the FD mount.
Merci ! J
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
If you don't mind manual exposure, the Canon F1 was their equivalent to the Pentax LX, and is a solid camera. Lower priced, the FTb is a capable model for these lenses. I've overhauled both models, and they are very well made.
Thanx a lot, TomB_tx ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-01-2014 at 04:48 PM.