Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm afraid is not feasible with an optical viewfinder.
Is it ? I am no expert but isn't it possible to design a focal formula for the lenses in the View Finder to span a wider distance ? Maybe a VF which pops out at the press of a button, perhaps not as far as the above example but a little bit would help. For storage it could be pushed back again.

At today's technology it should not be such a big problem. No ?

Greetings

01-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Is it ? I am no expert but isn't it possible to design a focal formula for the lenses in the View Finder to span a wider distance ? Maybe a VF which pops out at the press of a button, perhaps not as far as the above example but a little bit would help. For storage it could be pushed back again.

Greetings
I'm sure it is possible... the only down side its that it will require some extra space and will most probably make some cameras more bulkier... and since Pentax tends to make everything as small as possible... I doubt they will go for it.
01-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I'm sure it is possible... the only down side its that it will require some extra space and will most probably make some cameras more bulkier... and since Pentax tends to make everything as small as possible... I doubt they will go for it.
Make camera more bulky ? Not by a whole lot if the extension in minimal. It would help us spectacle wearers a lot. Even perhaps a slightly longer non retractable VF would be nice. A retractable one would need extra seals though.

Greetings
01-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Make camera more bulky ? Not by a whole lot if the extension in minimal. It would help us spectacle wearers a lot. Even perhaps a slightly longer non retractable VF would be nice. A retractable one would need extra seals though.

Greetings
Well, when I say bulkier I don't mean Hulk bulk... I mean a little more.... ummm... taller and wider in that area.
It will have to be taller a little to make sure it won't shadow the LCD and wider to allow for the whole mechanism to fit. Keep in mind they have to keep the same size for the viewfinder. So in order to add a new mechanism that allows for extension and tilt, it will have to get wider and taller.

I don't disagree is a good idea, I'm just saying that since Pentax and Ricoh likes the idea of small and robust, they might not go for that.
They might even have problems with the whole sealing thing - in case they plan to make it WR. Moving parts in a camera that needs to be WR is always a challenge.

01-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Greetings
I'm not saying impossible, but not feasible - and I'm no expert either, it's just a gut feeling
The viewfinder would have to work both when collapsed or extended, with similar image parameters (eyepoint, magnification, coverage) - to be practical, and similar with Samsung's (having to pop up the viewfinder just to take a look would be an annoyance). And tilted, let's not forget about that. All this will have to meet certain size and cost requirements.

But maybe Pentax will be able to do some neat tricks with optical viewfinders, even if they won't match everything Samsung has done with their EVF. Interchangeable viewfinders (highly unlikely, as the pentaprism housing now contains lots of other things), higher magnification, better eyepiece, new viewfinder accessories... if it leads to better, more comfortable viewfinders (incl. for eyeglass wearers), I want it.
01-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If Pentax want to extend the OVF it would be with an add-on accessory (like the magnifying eyepiece O-ME53).
It would also have the advantage of being usable on all existing Pentax DSLR.
01-04-2014, 03:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Even though I did not mention it in my post, I would not suggest a tiltable VF as this would take some doing for an optical type. And if a retractable VF is too much to design at least one that stands proud by some 10mm or thereabouts would be nice. I currently have a magnifier fitted, if nothing else to give me a bit more room and to help with my glasses. It is this model:

1 08X 1 58X Zoom Magnifier Eyecup Viewfinder FOR Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Camera | eBay.

The big rubber eye cup obscures the LCD a bit but I got used to it and find no problems with it now.

Also while we are at this subject, it would be nice to be able to turn up or down the brightness of the VF display. I find it next to impossible to read anything in bright sunlight especially when the sun is low and coming in from the side. (Wearing glasses doesn't help either) Conversely I find the display a bit bright when shooting at night sometimes. I am sure everyone of us have experienced this problem.

In a world where it is increasingly more difficult to set oneself aside from your competitors, little things like the ones mentioned above will often make a lot of difference and possibly provide a bit of an edge. Surprisingly, often they don't even cost a lot.

Greetings

01-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Hopefully, they'll put some thought into it.
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Pentaxian

I have an issue with the viewfinder and position of the LCD back panel too.. nose tip always hits the lcd panel and then the oil from my skin is left on the viewfinder. If they could either extend the viewfinder cup or redesign the camera body where less of the camera was on the left, it would be helpful..
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I have an issue with the viewfinder and position of the LCD back panel too.. nose tip always hits the lcd panel and then the oil from my skin is left on the viewfinder. If they could either extend the viewfinder cup or redesign the camera body where less of the camera was on the left, it would be helpful..
EXACTLY!!! And I don't even have a particularly big nose!!!!

Cheers,
Cameron