Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
canon Av

My son bought his wife a canon 3ti a year ago. At Christmas I was talking with her about it. She still has it on Auto, but wants to learn more so as to have more control. I took the camera off auto and put it on av. then set the aperture ( that is all I changed) took a shot . It turned out nice except it was in B/W. I reset the camera to auto and took the same shot . It was in color.
Now the question. What happened ? Why was the shot in Av in B/W? She did not have her manual with her so that I could check it out. I am perplexed.

01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have that camera but am willing to bet the digital filter is set to B/W. In auto, the camera chooses specific settings that probably does not include the custom filter selection.
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.That thought had crossed my mind, but not knowing how canon's systems work nor able to get around in the menu very easily. I wasn't sure. I guess I need to get down there and spend some time with them and the book now that the holidays are over.
02-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thanks for the reply.That thought had crossed my mind, but not knowing how canon's systems work nor able to get around in the menu very easily. I wasn't sure. I guess I need to get down there and spend some time with them and the book now that the holidays are over.
Did you find the answer?

02-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not yet. I haven't seen the kids since Christmas. I am hoping to see them and their camera soon tho. At that point I will check out her settings.
03-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks jogiba ... I scanned the manual and the other hyperlink you gave. I did not see the answer there. I will check out the videos later today . I assume someone, some how, some where ,has it set to B/W in Av mode and color in auto. I just haven't been able to get with my daughter-inlaw and her camera since Christmas day to check it out.
03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

Patrick,

It's set to monochrome, period. Just go into the picture styles (which should be in the Q menu) and switch back to natural or whatever other style suits you.

The picture style settings don't register in green mode.

Bob

03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
It's set to monochrome, period. Just go into the picture styles (which should be in the Q menu) and switch back to natural or whatever other style suits you. The picture style settings don't register in green mode.
That's what I was thinking. Since I have never shot a cannon, I was not sure how their settings were ,the menu is a bit perplexing when short on time . I just need a chance to get with her, and go over a few things then take her out shooting off green mode..