Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
jogiba: any thoughts on whether it's better to go the speedbooster/sigma 18/35 route or 0.95 lenses?
Picked up an SLR Magic 25/.095 to play w/ on my GX1 and the bokeh is amazingly smooth...even more so it seems than w/ the Ltd lenses I have :-)

07-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #92
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
jogiba: any thoughts on whether it's better to go the speedbooster/sigma 18/35 route or 0.95 lenses?
Picked up an SLR Magic 25/.095 to play w/ on my GX1 and the bokeh is amazingly smooth...even more so it seems than w/ the Ltd lenses I have :-)
I don't have the 18-35mm F1.8 and the only 0.95 lens I have is the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 that I like since it's the sharpest lens ever tested at Lenstip with my 75mm F1.8 Olympus close behind. Andrew Reid on EOSHD says the Nikon mount 18-35mm F1.8 with Metabones Speedbooster is the way to go for a fast wide angle since the widest 0.95 lens is the 17.5mm. I use my 10-24mm Tamron and Optika 6.5mm with my GH4 in 4K mode as my widest lenses with PK-MFT adapter. So I guess if you need a true wide angle faster than the 7-14mm F4 or 12-35mm F2.8 the 18-35mm with speedbooster looks like the way to go unless you wait for the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens that will cost about $1,500.
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens B&H Photo Video
BMCC variant Speed Booster works on GH3 and GH4 to give 1.28x crop, near full frame | EOSHD.com

Last edited by jogiba; 07-06-2014 at 07:27 AM.
07-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #93
Banned

Original Poster
Panasonic GH4 Video Review by Philip Bloom: “It’s a breakthrough”

Panasonic GH4 Video Review by Philip Bloom | planet5D DSLR video news and more!

07-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
So far as TV viewing is concerned why?

Previously, as TV screens got bigger, the resolution didn't, so you just ended up with fatter pixels.
From the same distance back your TV ended up looking lower resolution as it got bigger.

4K means that you keep the pixel size/density of say a 32" or 40" TV when you expand the screen size to 60" or so.
In practise, if you can feed it with a real 4K source (of which youtube for instance now offers quite a bit) you WILL notice the difference and it looks superb.

Initially it's going to be the traditional chicken and the egg scenario of where to get content, and to date there is no formal physical media standard for 4K bluray yet, but it will come.
Manufacturers such as Pentax need to move with the times to wards the likes of 4K ability, but frankly I think they should sort their existing video attempt effort first...

07-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Initially it's going to be the traditional chicken and the egg scenario of where to get content, and to date there is no formal physical media standard for 4K bluray yet, but it will come.
Maybe Sony and Toshiba can come out with opposing media for 4k and have another format war

Also, cable providers and streaming web providers aren't going to rush to full rez 4k as the bandwidth isn't there or will cost them too much in transfer each month. Likely we'll get compression on top of what's delivered and the only true full rez 4k your going to get will come off of bluray or whatever the standard media is.

Last edited by RyanW; 07-15-2014 at 06:04 AM.
07-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #96
Banned

Original Poster
The Wall Street Journal goes 4K with the GH4 !

QuoteQuote:
The Wall Street Journal in-house video team has started shooting and publishing 4K video. To my knowledge this makes them the the first newspaper website in-house team to do so. Their EMEA operation have purchased four Panasonic GH4 cameras as upgrades to their existing GH2s. Eventually the GH4 will become the primary cam in the bureau.
News Shooter | The Wall Street Journal goes 4K video with the GH4 – the first newspaper web team to do so?

Shooting One Minute Wine at the Devil’s Dyke

Shooting One Minute Wine with the GH4 on Brighton beach
08-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Previously, as TV screens got bigger, the resolution didn't, so you just ended up with fatter pixels.
From the same distance back your TV ended up looking lower resolution as it got bigger.

4K means that you keep the pixel size/density of say a 32" or 40" TV when you expand the screen size to 60" or so.
In practise, if you can feed it with a real 4K source (of which youtube for instance now offers quite a bit) you WILL notice the difference and it looks superb.
Not quite true. There is an optimal viewing distance for a given screen size, in order to create the optimal FOV with respect to the eyes.

In other words, if you have a smartphone, bring the screen close to your eyes. If you are at the cinema, don't sit too close or you will feel nauseous and you won't be able to process the entire screen at once.

It is possible to show that at the optimal viewing distance/angle/screen size, it is not possible for a person with average eyesight to really see a difference between Full HD and 4K (UHD). So the extra resolution is "wasted."

Most people who are awed by a 4K screen are looking at it from too close a distance for optimal viewing.

Indeed, for some of us who are a little bit older, we may even find it hard to differentiate between SD and HD. I use to laugh when someone told me they can't tell the difference between upscaled SD and HD, now I am not laughing any more because I have the same problem.

08-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Not quite true. There is an optimal viewing distance for a given screen size, in order to create the optimal FOV with respect to the eyes.

In other words, if you have a smartphone, bring the screen close to your eyes.

You read this part right?

"From the same distance back "
08-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You read this part right?

"From the same distance back "
Of course I did.

My point was that if you watch two different sized TVs "from the same distance back" then only one of them can be at the optimal distance (and quite possibly, neither).

The optimal distance is usually regarded as 1.5 times screen height - but I find this rather misleading as it doesn't take aspect ratio into account.

By the way, just in case you think I am making all this up, here's a quote from Dr. Raymond Soneira:
QuoteQuote:
Some manufacturers are introducing HDTVs with resolutions that are at least double the existing standard 1920x1080 resolution - 3840x2160 or more. They are often called 4K displays. Some reviewers have already claimed dramatically improved picture quality and sharpness - but that is impossible unless they have significantly better than 20/20 Vision or are watching from an absurdly close viewing distance.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 08-04-2014 at 01:24 AM.
08-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
xtra resolution is "wasted."

Most people who are awed by a 4K screen are looking at it from too close a distance for optimal viewing.
Pixel peepers gonna peep
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #101
Banned

Original Poster
GH4 and Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS Lens

@F4

@F1.2

@F1.2

crop
08-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #102
Banned

Original Poster
Cross-Media 4K Promo Launches In Theaters Friday

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Maybe Sony and Toshiba can come out with opposing media for 4k and have another format war

Also, cable providers and streaming web providers aren't going to rush to full rez 4k as the bandwidth isn't there or will cost them too much in transfer each month. Likely we'll get compression on top of what's delivered and the only true full rez 4k your going to get will come off of bluray or whatever the standard media is.
There wil not be any 4K format war since they all agree on the current 4K UHD 2160p standard for UHD TVs and will be promoting it in theaters .

QuoteQuote:
Collective promotional efforts behind new 4K Ultra HD TV entertainment continue to build momentum this week as Sony, Best Buy and the National CineMedia begin showing a 4K promotional video in theaters starting Friday.

Sony Electronics, Sony Pictures, Best Buy and National CineMedia (NCM) created the cross-media promotional campaign supporting as a way of bringing audience attention to the benefits of the four-times-better picture resolution offered by the new technology, which has long been used in state-of-the-art professional movie theaters.

The promotion, which runs through Sept. 25, includes a 30-second in-theater spot shown as part of NCM’s FirstLook movie pre-show. The production will feature select outtakes from “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”

The collective 4K content promotion is the second 4K Ultra HD-related promotional announcement this month involving Sony and Best Buy. The big-box retail chain revealed a multi-company in-store Ultra HD consumer awareness campaign on Aug. 6 involving, Sony, Samsung and LG Electronics.
Cross-Media 4K Promo Launches In Theaters Friday | http://www.twice.com

4K version of the above bike image showing the 2.3x crop in 4K mode :
08-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #103
Banned

Original Poster
Officially announced – Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds

QuoteQuote:
The long awaited active Canon EF mount Speed Booster adapter for Micro Four Thirds is finally here. I have a review sample, currently putting it through a few shoots to see how it performs. This is not the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera version but the general Micro Four Thirds mount adapter, so fully compatible with all Panasonic and Olympus cameras including the GH4 and E-M1. Finally you can use all your Canon lenses with full electronic support for aperture control and stabilisation.

1 stop increase in brightness (F2.8 effectively becomes F2.0)
The same look as a Super 35mm sensor (Canon C300, etc.) when shooting in 1080p or stills mode
0.71x wider focal length (effectively meaning 50mm becomes 35mm on a 2x crop Micro Four Thirds mount camera)
Approximately 1.7x crop in 4K mode on the GH4 instead of 2.3x
Compatible with GH4, GH3, GH2, GH1, G1, GF1, G2, G10, BMPCC, BMCC, Digital Bolex D16, OM-D E-M1, E-M5, E-M10.
Built-in electronics to control EF lens aperture, IS and transport EXIF data to the camera
Aperture control on the camera body and aperture display on LCD / EVF
Detachable tripod mounting foot
Officially announced – Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds and Panasonic GH4 | EOSHD.com