Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Need Input On Pricing

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

On Craigslist, I posted an ad stating that I am selling my Canon EOS 20D. Included in this ad are the battery grip for the camera, two batteries, a battery charger, a lens, and memory cards. In the ad, I stated that I was asking four hundred dollars but I wouldn't go any lower any lower than three hundred dollars. Well, someone got a hold of me asking about it was inquiring about a possible trade. To make a long story short, he ended up declining (not a big deal to me). However, when he declined, he made it sound like he would only pay or value it at about one hundred fifty dollars. He said that that is what they are going for on Ebay. That may be what a few of them are going for but I have seen quite a few getting sold for much more than that. Considering that it was priced at approximately one thousand five hundred dollars when it first came out and considering that after all was said and done, I probably spent around two thousand dollars (possibly more) for everything, I don't really think I asking for an unfair price. I realize that it is an older camera but I am not going to sit here and cut my own throat on the price and I do not want to be low-balled either. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this matter.

01-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I have two pentax dslrs collecting dust cause I refuse to give them away... I will give one to my daughter this year and one to a friend.
01-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Yeah, I have two pentax dslrs collecting dust cause I refuse to give them away... I will give one to my daughter this year and one to a friend.
I'm not trying to get rich off of this camera. I'm just trying to make some money. I hate when people want something for dirt cheap.
01-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photographyguy74 Quote
On Craigslist, I posted an ad stating that I am selling my Canon EOS 20D. Included in this ad are the battery grip for the camera, two batteries, a battery charger, a lens, and memory cards. In the ad, I stated that I was asking four hundred dollars but I wouldn't go any lower any lower than three hundred dollars. Well, someone got a hold of me asking about it was inquiring about a possible trade. To make a long story short, he ended up declining (not a big deal to me). However, when he declined, he made it sound like he would only pay or value it at about one hundred fifty dollars. He said that that is what they are going for on Ebay. That may be what a few of them are going for but I have seen quite a few getting sold for much more than that. Considering that it was priced at approximately one thousand five hundred dollars when it first came out and considering that after all was said and done, I probably spent around two thousand dollars (possibly more) for everything, I don't really think I asking for an unfair price. I realize that it is an older camera but I am not going to sit here and cut my own throat on the price and I do not want to be low-balled either. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this matter.
Ebay is about as close to a "perfect" market place as we have. Post your camera there, and see what it really is worth on the open market. If you are scared that it won't sell for what you want, put a reserve price on it. If it doesn't sell, well, you have found out what everybody else thinks it is worth! It may be hard to face, but most old technology verges on worthless unless it has some "collectibility" value.

01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
It may be hard to face, but most old technology verges on worthless unless it has some "collectibility" value.
This. You may be better off selling the camera for $150-200. Then splitting the accessories up. You will pay more eBay fees, but it might be worth it.
01-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search ebay's completed listings for the individual components, that should give you a good idea of actual value
20Ds aren't worth much these days but the body alone should fetch $125-$175, I would think.

Craigslist isn't a good place to try and get top dollar for gear. I'd much rather pay "Current Market Value" on ebay or PF and have a decent return policy, than pay CMV on craigslist and be SOL if something isn't working right.
01-12-2014, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I stated that I was asking four hundred dollars but I wouldn't go any lower any lower than three hundred dollars.
Well, when you advertise with wishy-washy pricing (so what is it, $400 or $300 ??) you are communicating your naivety and the CL sharks and spammers can smell it through the ethernet.

he would only pay or value it at about one hundred fifty dollar
Well, he can say anything and will. That said, I know a few dads who have given their old 20D to their teenage daughters to get going with more serious shooting, so the market value is probably closer to $200 or so.

Considering that it was priced at approximately one thousand five hundred dollars when it first came out and considering that after all was said and done, I probably spent around two thousand dollars (possibly more) for everything,
Most folks start with this line of thought in valuating their gear and it is a big mistake. What you paid in the past for something is just about irrelevant to a buyer. What should matter is the current market value and your homework is to figure that out--which it appears you are doing by posting. Ebay is a real easy barometer. But really, if the choice is having your old camera sitting on the shelf or getting some money for it while you still can, the difference of even $75-100 is not that big of a deal.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 01-13-2014 at 05:40 AM.
01-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I don't know its actual value.

But assuming its actual value is $200 today, it should be $199 tomorrow. In another year it will be worth less than a small bag of chips.
01-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Banned

Here is a Canon 20D on ebay with a current bid for $66 :
Canon EOS 20D 8 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Body Only 0013803044430 | eBay

Another one at $40 :
Canon EOS 20D 8 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only 0013803044430 | eBay

Canon 20D with 28-80mm lens at $99 :
Canon EOS 20D 8 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Kit w 28 80mm Lens | eBay
01-13-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the end of the day, the value of anything is determined by someone else who is willing to give you some amount of money for whatever you are selling. The "value" is different for each and every buyer. If you are selling something I think I can get cheaper elsewhere, then elsewhere I will go. How much you paid for it is not on my mind at all.

Me, I wouldn't give you five dollars for it, because I don't want it. People who are in to photography already have better cameras. People who aren't into photography don't want a DSLR. Your potential market is very small.

Adorama and B&H both have them for less than $140. A private sale will have less value because of the no-hassle return policy from a major store. Also, a buyer can be reassured buying from a real store, because they are less likely to try to pass off a lemon (not accusing you, but that's the way a buyer thinks).

I think your stuff all together may be worth $150, certainly no more.
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

To give some insight to how we price used gear; we use a software programme to calculate the potential re-sale value which takes into account the number of exact same units in the warehouse at the time of a trade; the average number of that same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available.

The selling prices on a reseller's website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much they might be able to pay you for your gear, and this is because when new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the reseller will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.

As was noted above, when you buy from a reputable reseller you are most likely going to get a warranty, plus a change-of-mind returns period included.
01-13-2014, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Great response, Helen!
01-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the input.