Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Typical russian woman baby shooting approach in its perfection.

01-17-2014, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Also, I think a lot of these photos would have been better with more depth of field. Understand that what stands out about these photos is not the narrow depth of field, but the subject matter, which is fairly timeless -- kids and animals.
But one of the elements that makes them 'pop' is the subject isolation, it brings a dreaminess and makes the excellent storytelling she's doing be front and center, no distractions. The background brings a setting, a place, and adds beauty but does not intrude. These shots look like a lot of well-illustrated children's books, and that can be done in a very ham-handed way... but these are not, they're very good.

01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
We know you hate full frame cameras with a vengeance and I bet if she used a Pentax 645D you would have loved them.
Not so. Some of her photos are really good, some I don't like so much.

Narrow depth of field can be over done. I don't see its pursuit as all that. Photography is about light and this photographer is good at using light in her photographs and I think that is what I appreciate most about them.

If you look at paintings, where of course the artist has complete control of whether to paint the background in or out of focus, there are a lot more paintings which choose to include the back ground than not. This is an artistic decision, whether in photography or painting and that decision seldom makes or breaks a photo, nearly as much as lighting, and subject do.
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful pics. To me this is not the full frame look. Her processing with focus makes them look much more medium format than small format. Medium and large format have that ultra nice bokeh. A lot of what I seen in Canon and Nikon FF land is a busy distracting mess. Witness a lot off the FF shots and thoughts thread in the off topic forum. There is a lot of good stuff there, but there is a lot of horrid bokeh as well.

01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That's the thing - I don't see it done this well hardly ever, although there a ton of people who seem to try.
Can't help but wonder what her background is. Some of her photos seem to go well beyond the usual vernacular photo esthetic. Maybe she has more training then we think. After all a 5DIII goes well beyond what we would expect of a isolated snap-shooting rural housewife in the backwoods of Russia or the USA for that matter.

Her feel for her land seems to go well beyond the usual as well. But maybe she's just a natural - it can happen...

Last edited by wildman; 01-21-2014 at 03:21 AM.
01-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Can't help but wonder what her background is. Some of her photos seem to go well beyond the usual vernacular photo esthetic. Maybe she has more training then we think. After all a 5DIII goes well beyond what we would expect of a isolated snap-shooting rural housewife in the backwoods of Russia or the USA for that matter.

Her feel for her land seems to go well beyond the usual as well. But maybe she's just a natural - it can happen...
Do you think that fog is real?
01-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not sure it's so much the FF look as it is the FF glass look. I'd be curious to know if all these pics were shot wide open or have some may have been stopped down a bit.

Narrow depth of field can be over done. I don't see its pursuit as all that. Photography is about light and this photographer is good at using light in her photographs and I think that is what I appreciate most about them.
I mostly agree with this. However, the use of bokeh is very well done in these images (it's not done for it's own sake, i.e., to demonstrate the advantages of the FF sensor and the fast prime telephoto lens, but rather to achieve aesthetic goals), and only one or two suffer from an inappropriately too narrow depth of field.

01-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
We know you hate full frame cameras with a vengeance and I bet if she used a Pentax 645D you would have loved them.
C'mon, it's just Newton's Third Law applied to human interactions.

For every FF push, there will be an equal and opposite APS-C push back.
01-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

In the sense you are probably using "real", then no..........
....... perhaps not even the birds are "real" for that matter.

Last edited by wildman; 01-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I doubt that is fog to begin with... looks more like snow being blown by the wind...
With a little PP and softening you can get that look. Is all about the right moment.

As for the subject isolation discussion... in PP you can do whatever you want.
Involve someone with good skills in Photoshop and subject isolation is possible with any sensor.
Been there, done that.
01-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
For every FF push, there will be an equal and opposite APS-C push back.
I appreciate your conciseness.
01-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look at the case you made

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

As for the subject isolation discussion... in PP you can do whatever you want.
Involve someone with good skills in Photoshop and subject isolation is possible with any sensor.
Been there, done that.
I agree, and thus it stands to reason that aps-c is utterly un-needed, as we can take a shot with our 41MP phone cams and just add OOF transitions later! It will look just as good, right?

01-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'm not sure it's so much the FF look as it is the FF glass look. I'd be curious to know if all these pics were shot wide open or have some may have been stopped down a bit.

Looks like (according to EXIF) she really likes f/2.5 on that 135mm, a lot of them are shot at that. (equiv to about 90mm f/1.4 on aps-c)
01-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Lovely shots.
Thanks for sharing.

5Dxx + EF 135/2 is a very nice combi especially with the shorter working distance on FF
01-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

from what I can tell the halos are created by backlighting the subject. it's a fun technique, especially when you boost the backlighting with flash. I love images with that halo effect personally as long as it's not overdone.

I personally love the images. Just because something's heavily post-processed doesn't mean it isn't a fantastic image. Post processing can take a great image and make it amazing. That's what she's done. I agree some of the compositions (woman in the street image) are not the best, but the image still moves and makes you feel.

Great work. I love it.