Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Her Flickr profile says she's an architect, so she obviously has visual talent (I always wanted to be an architect too but lacked the talent so I ended up being a doctor...).

I think many of her pictures are just breath taking. A bit too sweet here and there, but on the whole just beautiful. The only thing that makes me a bit hesitant is the obviously pretty heavy PP. I also thought immediately of our "own" very talented Keitha. Is the picture in the end made by photography or with Photoshop? Not that there's anything wrong in either as such. But I bet Keitha and this lady could take a picture of a toilet seat and make it look brilliant. There's of course the question of the story and the composition of the picture, but I think you get the point.
If you watch The War Photographer, a documentary about the brilliant James Nachtwey, you'll see that his award winning images had a lot to do with the dodging and burning process in development of the negatives. Much the same as people do today only in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Here it is on YouTube, I can't recommend watching this enough . . .

01-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
^^ I agree, lower noise and shallower DoF but also a higher yet smoother resolution easily creating that sharp 3-D look that's palpable . . . and no "jaggies".

I hate jaggies. I know you can deal with them in post but I get them a lot.

I'm not great at post-processing RAW files, this is about as close as I can get to that full frame look. Common factor in chasing this look involves the 77/1.8 Limited.

Village Lads 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fantastic shot, and the 77 is a great rebuke to the idea of a separate FF kit. Meaning: You can buy Nikon to get FF... but the 77ltd doesn't come with it.

Actually in that one more DOF might have been better, unless the 'subject' was just the one boy in focus. But it doesn't matter, it's a great shot either way.
01-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The War Photographer
Too bad it's in 240p that looks bad on my 30" 1600p monitor in full screen.
01-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
If you watch The War Photographer, a documentary about the brilliant James Nachtwey, you'll see that his award winning images had a lot to do with the dodging and burning process in development of the negatives. Much the same as people do today only in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Here it is on YouTube, I can't recommend watching this enough . . .
Thanks. I've seen it. An interesting story and I admit post processing has always been part of photography.

01-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Fantastic shot, and the 77 is a great rebuke to the idea of a separate FF kit. Meaning: You can buy Nikon to get FF... but the 77ltd doesn't come with it.

Actually in that one more DOF might have been better, unless the 'subject' was just the one boy in focus. But it doesn't matter, it's a great shot either way.
Honestly, it's enough for me to hold the camera steady and adjust the aperture in time. EV? Forget it. ISO? Not on your nelly buster. White balance? You're havin' a laugh now. I get all confused real easy.

That's round the corner from my place and I was out doing my first ever HDR of a sunset, in fact my first ever HDR. Came out like this . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/10697703593/in/set-72157639583146385

Last edited by Parry; 01-18-2014 at 09:17 AM.
01-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Too bad it's in 240p that looks bad on my 30" 1600p monitor in full screen.
Well look it up again then.

Really, it's worth watching.

Last edited by Parry; 01-18-2014 at 09:25 AM.
01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #52
Banned

360p version :

01-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #53

TIL Maybe I don't want FF, maybe I want a 77 LTD!

Rondec, that shot of Anna raking is near perfect, I love it!

Funnily enough, I can buy a 5D classic and a 85/1.8 for less than a FA77LTD...

Last edited by Ben78; 01-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.
01-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #54

This was a test image I did using the so called 'Brenizer Method'. When I worked out the maths one would need a 24mm f1.0 lens on APC or 35mm/1.4 on FF to do the shot in one frame. I know which is possible and which isn't... Meanwhile, I'll just play with stitching and a FA50/1.4.

01-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #55
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like a lot of her work, a few images not so much. I'd rather see her images individually, because if you look at all her linked work on 500px, when dozens of them are on screen at once, they look too similar and are all too close to the exact same color palette. It does give her a distinct style, though.

For me, the shots where she adds blur, fog, and elements that are not part of the actual scene/photo, they have become "art" rather than "photography".
01-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
TIL Maybe I don't want FF, maybe I want a 77 LTD!

Rondec, that shot of Anna raking is near perfect, I love it!

Funnily enough, I can buy a 5D classic and a 85/1.8 for less than a FA77LTD...
Thank you. The FA 77 is a really good lens -- sharp wide open and just has a special out of focus rendering that none of my other lenses have.
01-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Thank you. The FA 77 is a really good lens -- sharp wide open and just has a special out of focus rendering that none of my other lenses have.
Yes, it really is that special. I don't understand the hype over the 31mm Limited when the 77 is the true king of the three amigos. The only other lens I can just about squeeze the full frame look from is the Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2. I've tried to give these that classic Leica'ish look.

01-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #58

These pics are a lot less about sensor size and a lot more about photoshopping the absolute crap out of everything. It's all done in a very artful style for sure, she's an absolute talent. But theres soooo much toning and tuning and texturing going on. I'd classify it as digital imaging more then straight photography. Impressive but also tacky at the same time
01-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it were that easy... you could do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
These pics are a lot less about sensor size and a lot more about photoshopping the absolute crap out of everything. It's all done in a very artful style for sure, she's an absolute talent. But theres soooo much toning and tuning and texturing going on. I'd classify it as digital imaging more then straight photography. Impressive but also tacky at the same time
To each his own, but think about the effect these shots have had - this is one of the more famous, publicly acknowledged sets I've seen in years. Now think about all the folks who try to do just what she's doing, and don't quite make it. There are subtle differences that, if we're being fair, can only point to a good degree of talent and ability to put on the screen what she saw in her mind's eye. She uses her tools and format so very well.

That's not something everyone can do by just firing up photoshop. Personally I think responses like yours contain a hint of sour grapes. and I've seen them applied to Keitha's work as well; try to get beyond that to see what's at play here.

01-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
To each his own, but think about the effect these shots have had - this is one of the more famous, publicly acknowledged sets I've seen in years. Now think about all the folks who try to do just what she's doing, and don't quite make it. There are subtle differences that, if we're being fair, can only point to a good degree of talent and ability to put on the screen what she saw in her mind's eye. She uses her tools and format so very well.

That's not something everyone can do by just firing up photoshop. Personally I think responses like yours contain a hint of sour grapes. and I've seen them applied to Keitha's work as well; try to get beyond that to see what's at play here.

I agree with this.

I will say that she is using a full frame camera though and to achieve that 'full frame' look with a full frame camera is easier than trying to achieve that full frame look with an crop format camera.

This is really about someone who's very good at post processing producing a highly professional standard of work.

EDIT: Just to add, these 135mm f/2 lenses seem to be really good on full frame. I've added the Nikkor 135 f/2 DC to the list for this years move to FF.