Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Help to recognise Zeiss Ikon folder.

Hello guys!
I just got this today and took a closer look. I did ask last week about using film in 515 6x4,5, but this one turned out to be 516 B2 6x9. Then i searched the web for info on it, and looks like there is nothing much. Only thing i found really is that 516 6x9 should be coupled with 10,5cm anastigmat, while mine is 7,5cm. I find this strange, so maybe someone could give a bit deeper insight into this one? I included a photo of serial number, so maybe you could make a guess on production year?
Thank you guys!

Attached Images

01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another
Attached Images

01-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Front look
Attached Images

01-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another thing. This is the popup viewfinder. Maybe might help. Or get even more confused?

Attached Images

01-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, here's the serial number
It says L 52113
Attached Images

01-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
V10

I believe 6x9 was another name for medium format film back in the day. The focal length, position of the film window and viewfinder indicates that you have a 6x4.5 folder.
01-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is strange, though appears the 516 was war time and thus they probably scrounged around for parts... the 6x9 should be a 516/2 based on internet info, and the 75mm lens is definitely wrong... Measure the film opening - it will resolve the issue! I think the 6x9 on the B2 film is just a film designation, not a negative size for this camera.

Does the overall camera look like this?

the 6x9 is quite a bit bigger

01-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
That is strange, though appears the 516 was war time and thus they probably scrounged around for parts... the 6x9 should be a 516/2 based on internet info, and the 75mm lens is definitely wrong... Measure the film opening - it will resolve the issue! I think the 6x9 on the B2 film is just a film designation, not a negative size for this camera.

Here it is. I think they're the same. It is just the lens that confused me. And yes, i found a picture of 6x9 516/2 opened, and frame is different - much bigger by the looks.
Attached Images

02-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

First, I have cousins to this model. They take 120 film, you get 15 shots per roll, normal 120 cameras, e.g., Yashica MAT 124G and the SLR medium format camera would give you 12, if I recall correctly. So there is no ' * ' with the serial number, that indicates prior to WWII ending, after WWII ends, serial numbers would have ' * ' indicating that they were made from parts 'squirreled away' during the war. However, when those part ran out, I am not sure of the serial numbering. All mine are post WWII. Interesting side note, My dad's model is newer (relative) to the one I picked up on ebay a couple months ago, which is in meters, my dad's is in feet. Manufacturing ranges for the two (only 209 serial numbers apart) July 1948 - January 1949.

There is a Zeiss Ikon user group on Yahoo, I recommend you join, post the serial numbers of the body, lens, and shutter (they should all have separate serial numbers). There are some really, really, knowledgeable people in that group. As indicated above, they can give you a lot of information about your camera.

Hope this helps.
02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morph00 Quote
First, I have cousins to this model. They take 120 film, you get 15 shots per roll, normal 120 cameras, e.g., Yashica MAT 124G and the SLR medium format camera would give you 12, if I recall correctly. So there is no ' * ' with the serial number, that indicates prior to WWII ending, after WWII ends, serial numbers would have ' * ' indicating that they were made from parts 'squirreled away' during the war. However, when those part ran out, I am not sure of the serial numbering. All mine are post WWII. Interesting side note, My dad's model is newer (relative) to the one I picked up on ebay a couple months ago, which is in meters, my dad's is in feet. Manufacturing ranges for the two (only 209 serial numbers apart) July 1948 - January 1949.

There is a Zeiss Ikon user group on Yahoo, I recommend you join, post the serial numbers of the body, lens, and shutter (they should all have separate serial numbers). There are some really, really, knowledgeable people in that group. As indicated above, they can give you a lot of information about your camera.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I'll try to find that group. Will need, probably, another new account, because i don't use Yahoo. How many accounts on different services one has nova days?
With meters and feets on lenses. I do have Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16, and that one has feet on the lens, while this 515 has meters. I'd imagine, that it all comes to different markets they where sold at. Meters for Europe, while feet for UK.