Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is there a Nikon forum as good as the Pentax forums?

I am firmly here myself, but I have a friend with a Nikon D80 and Tamron 18-250? variable aperture lens that dabbles in DSLR stuff and I would like him to get more enthusiastic about it since he has a knack for it in general.
Since this forum tends to really help keep up my interest in photography I figured maybe there was an equivalent forum for Nikon users or something.
Big problem is not finding a forum, but to find a forum that is not 75% populated with pretentious A holes that think everything they do is fine art and are just looking for compliments, or all of the many folk that dropped $10k on a FF DSLR setup and decided that makes them a pro and someone with a simple D80 and wide range variable aperture aftermarket brand zoom can take a hike.

I think the Pentax forums are a really rare sort of supportive community, especially considering its all photographers, who are of course known for their humility and lack of strong opinions , but surely there must be SOMEWHERE else that has the same sort of feel for a non pro Nikon user. Preferably somewhere that also has all the specific sub forums and threads for posting photos that tend to encourage me to get off my ass and do something with the camera (the abstract thread has me thinking lately).

01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're working on it

Nikon Forums - Community Home

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's great!
So what exactly am I looking at there, is that run by you also or people associated or just decent people on that board in general?
It certainly looks different so I assume there is a different crew in charge.
01-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I own the site, haven't had very many contributors to it quite yet but the long-term plan is to have a separate team or writers for that site so that we have fresh content on each site.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about this site's sister site Camera Enthusiast? They have a Nikon group. I used to go there often and helped keep the weekly contest going for awhile, but then I gravitated back here.
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We're working on it

Nikon Forums - Community Home
That would be the day lol
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
What about this site's sister site Camera Enthusiast? They have a Nikon group. I used to go there often and helped keep the weekly contest going for awhile, but then I gravitated back here.
Don't blame ya

01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yea, the Nikonforums.com has a better attitude it seems than other Nikon forums. It's a fun place to go, but it's not at the level of community as this site. I think it's a Pentax thing... since we are minority compared to the big two we seek out love from others.
01-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, its a strange thing. I joined NikonCafe but can't quite seem to get to grips with it. I always come back here. I'm not sure if its just the Pentax thing as the UK Pentax forum doesn't have the same feel, though it has to be said the members themselves are great.

I've just registered with Nikonforums so we'll see how it goes.
01-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I could never understand why members here with Nikon equipment post pics from their Nikon. I mean.....this is Pentax forum.
01-20-2014, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have Nikon, Pentax and Fuji - I'd rather stay in one place and if I'm going to do that then this is the place I'd rather be.
01-20-2014, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I could never understand why members here with Nikon equipment post pics from their Nikon. I mean.....this is Pentax forum.
the people
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

All kinds of cameras are posted on this site. So what. People own more than one brand. Nothing wrong with some cultural camera diversity. And how many shots are from cameras sporting a Sony sensor and 3rd party glass, for example? Two very important things needed to make the image may not even be from the camera vendor in that scenario.
01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am fine if folks want to post non-Pentax photos in the mini challenge sections or wherever. Obviously there are certain sections that are pretty much Pentax only, but it is OK. We all know that there are plenty of different brands out there.
01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
We're fine with photos with any camera as long as it's not in the official photo contests and events. I mean a photo is a photo- doesn't really matter where it came from

Adam