Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
your thinking the same thing as me. Even if it was APS-C I wouldn't mind. an APS-C body the same size as the LX with similar controls and the bloody awesome metering from that camera would be a dream. especially with the DA Limited and FA Limited glass. Heck they could even take another 16mp sensor and throw it in there for all I care.
It'll likely be the X-Trans II sensor so, from what I've read and seen, much better at higher ISO than a Bayer sensor.

01-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
It'll likely be the X-Trans II sensor so, from what I've read and seen, much better at higher ISO than a Bayer sensor.
I think that is because the base ISO starts out at ISO 200 instead of 100 and NR is applied to the RAW file if you use LR. IIRC, one test of the XP1 somewhere showed that its DR is better at ISO 400 than 200. So its been tweaked to favor the high end. But still good high ISO nevertheless.
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
Veteran Member

your thinking the same thing as me. Even if it was APS-C I wouldn't mind. an APS-C body the same size as the LX with similar controls and the bloody awesome metering from that camera would be a dream. especially with the DA Limited and FA Limited glass. Heck they could even take another 16mp sensor and throw it in there for all I care.

I'm not technically savvy enough or well versed on the subject to talk about the differences or pros/cons, but I think the FF being able to take full advantage of all the legacy glass, FA* and FA Limiteds would be huge. The ship may have already sailed on Pentax (Ricoh?) ever being a major competitor again, but bringing the features that made Pentax unique (not bankrupt or lame) would be a move in the right direction.

If they have it in them to make a pro level camera and resurrect the LX, it better be amazing and not just a Hail Mary that leans on the name. Pentax could update the Limiteds and resurrect/modernize the FA* lenses for a pro camera system, but it would take the marketing and quality product to get there.

If they were to update the Limited and FA* lenses with reliable HSM-type autofocus, FF with LX-type metering, and WR everything, they'd likely be the only player in the game with those features and could begin the road back to relevancy. They've had several cameras and systems that have been a great experience, they just need to continue to innovate and stop rebirthing the same product and call it the previous model with a II or IIs after it. There is something to be said for having a diverse product line up, but these baby step improvements make it seem like they lack innovation and or the ability to change the game with their products.
01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'm not technically savvy enough or well versed on the subject to talk about the differences or pros/cons, but I think the FF being able to take full advantage of all the legacy glass, FA* and FA Limiteds would be huge. The ship may have already sailed on Pentax (Ricoh?) ever being a major competitor again, but bringing the features that made Pentax unique (not bankrupt or lame) would be a move in the right direction.

If they have it in them to make a pro level camera and resurrect the LX, it better be amazing and not just a Hail Mary that leans on the name. Pentax could update the Limiteds and resurrect/modernize the FA* lenses for a pro camera system, but it would take the marketing and quality product to get there.

If they were to update the Limited and FA* lenses with reliable HSM-type autofocus, FF with LX-type metering, and WR everything, they'd likely be the only player in the game with those features and could begin the road back to relevancy. They've had several cameras and systems that have been a great experience, they just need to continue to innovate and stop rebirthing the same product and call it the previous model with a II or IIs after it. There is something to be said for having a diverse product line up, but these baby step improvements make it seem like they lack innovation and or the ability to change the game with their products.
In my opinion they already know how to make a pro level camera, the K3 offers tons of pros features and build quality, it's just lacking on the flash sync speed. If we got updates to the f2.8 zooms in terms of AF speed then I think we are there. I know many complain about reliability, but I never have had an issue with SDM and my local shop who I have a very good relation with has reported few SDM based repairs.

The thing I'm worried about is that if Pentax did a K mount FF "retro" camera based on the looks, controls, and mantra of the LX it would turn out to be in a size class similar to the Df. Part of the reason why Pentax is so attractive to me is the size. So I would prefer it to be similar to the LX in size, even if the body was a bit deeper to account for all the added electronic gizmos.

01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #50
Pentaxian

... So I would prefer it to be similar to the LX in size, even if the body was a bit deeper to account for all the added electronic gizmos.
I think it would have to be mirrorless to get the height down. FF with its larger prism, mirror and AF stuff around the mirror seems to raise the height of cameras these days. But beats me.
01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #51
Veteran Member

You would think with advances in miniaturization that we could get cameras closer to 35mm film bodies for DSLRs and still shove a 35mm sensor in them. Even PZ series cameras were fairly small and had a AF screw drive mechanism in place. I know we got to add space for the screen, processor, battery, shake reduction mechanism... etc. etc. the mirror assembly was the same size back then as it is now for 35mm format.

Then there is this:
RE-35 | Digital cartridges for analog 35-mm cameras

too bad its not real.

or this
DigiPod | Indiegogo

too bad it didn't get the funding.
01-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #52
Veteran Member

In my opinion they already know how to make a pro level camera, the K3 offers tons of pros features and build quality, it's just lacking on the flash sync speed. If we got updates to the f2.8 zooms in terms of AF speed then I think we are there. I know many complain about reliability, but I never have had an issue with SDM and my local shop who I have a very good relation with has reported few SDM based repairs.

The thing I'm worried about is that if Pentax did a K mount FF "retro" camera based on the looks, controls, and mantra of the LX it would turn out to be in a size class similar to the Df. Part of the reason why Pentax is so attractive to me is the size. So I would prefer it to be similar to the LX in size, even if the body was a bit deeper to account for all the added electronic gizmos.
K-3 looks like a great camera. Like you said, mediocre flash synch speed. I'd also like to see an LX sized body. What I meant by pro is that I don't think the masses will ever consider a crop camera pro now that there are several makers out there with numerous bodies. Unfortunately, Pentax seems so heavily invested into the crop bodies and DA Limited lenses, a full frame release almost completely relegated that gear to the enthusiast level. When was the last time Pentax released a full frame lens?

01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
K-3 looks like a great camera. Like you said, mediocre flash synch speed. I'd also like to see an LX sized body. What I meant by pro is that I don't think the masses will ever consider a crop camera pro now that there are several makers out there with numerous bodies. Unfortunately, Pentax seems so heavily invested into the crop bodies and DA Limited lenses, a full frame release almost completely relegated that gear to the enthusiast level. When was the last time Pentax released a full frame lens?
Yes, the majority of pro's wont buy into it unless its FF. Some pros do go m4/3 though.
01-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #54
Veteran Member

New Fujifilm X-T1 images | Photo Rumors

MORE NEW IMAGES!!!

It is a sexy beast

01-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of guys here (Singapore) have converted their SDM 16-50 and 50-135 to screw mount.
Its faster and no SDM worries.
On the K3, its even faster than on the K5/IIs because of the even stronger drive motor.

If Pentax just allowed switching between screw drive and SDM on the firmare, it would be instant reliability and AF speed.
Too bad, they never seem to think this way.
01-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Yes, it looks good. But I don't see a locking EV feature again. They really should put that on. When the EV dial is so close to the edge of the camera body, it can get inadvertently rotated when you stow it in a camera bag or something. It happen to my XP1 now and then and is a "gotcha". And it doesn't need to be such a large, main dial. I mean, it's not like you are changing it every shot.
01-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, it looks good. But I don't see a locking EV feature again. They really should put that on. When the EV dial is so close to the edge of the camera body, it can get inadvertently rotated when you stow it in a camera bag or something. It happen to my XP1 now and then and is a "gotcha". And it doesn't need to be such a large, main dial. I mean, it's not like you are changing it every shot.
Ahhh I see that could lead to issues. Does the exposure compensation affect the meter in full manual mode on the XP1?
01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Ahhh I see that could lead to issues. Does the exposure compensation affect the meter in full manual mode on the XP1?
Yes, if I recall correctly, it does. And it should after all. I really didn't shoot my XP1 in manual mode much.
01-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I doubt there will be any issues with the EV dial.
If is anything like the MX-1 EV dial (which is on the edge as well), I don't think it will switch/move when putting it in or removing it from the bag

Did I said already that I really like this thing? Too bad it costs so much...
01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I doubt there will be any issues with the EV dial.
Why when I just said my XP1 would get inadvertently changed? If you stow it in a tight area in a camera bag, for example, the friction can rotate it when you pull it out because it is not offset from the body. And I would tend to forget about looking at that dial because I didn't change it much.