Veteran Member

uuuuuuu.... sexy...
01-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
uuuuuuu.... sexy...
I agree.

I can't help but wonder if this is more along the lines of what Nikon wanted to do with the DF, but with a FF sensor.

I may... just may get rid of my OMD Em5 for this. It's ultra sexy, love the control layout... how do you adjust aperture? if its from a barrel dial I'm in there like a dirty shirt on laundry day.

I didn't think I was a hipster.... guess I am if I'm buying into this retro stuff....
01-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I agree.

I can't help but wonder if this is more along the lines of what Nikon wanted to do with the DF, but with a FF sensor.

I may... just may get rid of my OMD Em5 for this. It's ultra sexy, love the control layout... how do you adjust aperture? if its from a barrel dial I'm in there like a dirty shirt on laundry day.

I didn't think I was a hipster.... guess I am if I'm buying into this retro stuff....
I see a dial right under the shutter button... maybe that will for the aperture!? Or maybe you can customize it and assign the aperture control to it.
I love its look that is for sure... not sure I will actually get one, but if I were on the market for a new camera right now... I will most probably consider it...

01-20-2014, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I see a dial right under the shutter button... maybe that will for the aperture!? Or maybe you can customize it and assign the aperture control to it.
I love its look that is for sure... not sure I will actually get one, but if I were on the market for a new camera right now... I will most probably consider it...
correction, Fuji lenses have Aperture rings!!!

there is also this:

Fujinon Lens XF56mmF1.2 R | Fujfilm Canada

omg I need that

but if someone thinks Pentax has gaps in the lens lineup... just go look at Fuji.
01-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

correction, Fuji lenses have Aperture rings!!!

there is also this:

Fujinon Lens XF56mmF1.2 R | Fujfilm Canada

omg I need that
... darn it... you are right.
Completly missed the aperture dial in the picture (1.4, 2, 2.8 ... ).
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We're both broke now aren't we?

01-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Some of their lenses don't have aperture rings.
01-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

We're both broke now aren't we?
... yep ...
01-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Two things they better have fixed after all this time. A locking EV dial and a button-free area to place your RH thumb. On the XP1, the Q-button was right in the way and I was constantly pushing it. Their lens selection is getting sweeter all the time.
01-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Some of their lenses don't have aperture rings.
The three lenses I would be interested in owning do (35 1.4, 56 1.2, 23 1.4). The whole system looks interesting... looks like you set aperture priority by setting shutter to A and iso an A modes. Or you can put iso in A and set your shutter and aperture. It's a fantastic control scheme. Looks like the X-Pro1 uses the same control scheme and it also looks like I need to look more heavily into this system than the m4/3 system.
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

...Looks like the X-Pro1 uses the same control scheme and it also looks like I need to look more heavily into this system than the m4/3 system.
Auto ISO on the XP1 was controlled via the menu and only recently, by a firmware update, did you get to define the minimum shutter speed. Before the camera picked it for you automagically based on the focal length. The 18-55mm has image stabilization and a convenient lens with good results for when you only want to carry one lens.
01-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Auto ISO on the XP1 was controlled via the menu and only recently, by a firmware update, did you get to define the minimum shutter speed. Before the camera picked it for you automagically based on the focal length.
interesting. thank you for that.

Not a feature I use (on any system), I'm just making assumptions based on the control layout and it looks like a very interesting setup. This new camera in fact reminds me of the layout of my LX.
01-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

interesting. thank you for that.

Not a feature I use (on any system), I'm just making assumptions based on the control layout and it looks like a very interesting setup. This new camera in fact reminds me of the layout of my LX.
You will want to hold one in a store and get a feel for it. As big as the XP1 was for a mirrorless, it did not have a good grip. A least for man-size hands. The retro rangefinder design, IMHO, did not translate well to the digital era because of all the buttons and controls on the back film cameras did not have. Even stuffing a wad of paper between the leather case and the camera to form a "bulge" on the RH side made a big difference holding it for me.
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You will want to hold one in a store and get a feel for it. As big as the XP1 was for a mirrorless, it did not have a good grip. A least for man-size hands. The retro rangefinder design, IMHO, did not translate well to the digital era because of all the buttons and controls on the back film cameras did not have. Even stuffing a wad of paper between the leather case and the camera to form a "bulge" on the RH side made a big difference holding it for me.
Yea, the Xpro1 is not a comfortable camera. I can tell just from the viewfinder position I wouldn't like it. (I never liked using rangefinger style cameras). Moving the finder to a standard location is whats making me jump for this. The big question is how big is it? If it's OMD EM5 size, then we got a ball game.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Specs read a bit like a camera I already own, except my camera is k mount. Seems mirror less cameras are morphing into the cameras they are meant to be making dinosaurs.
yes, I agree with this statement, in fact the camera I already own has a spec sheet that is better and also was less expensive than the anticipated launch price. The value for feature/performance here is no where near as good as Pentax. Even when it comes to m4/3 cameras like the OMD series the K3 is still standing tall as the best value for the money. I find the most interesting thing about this camera and the OMD series is the size, EVF, and the amazing primes.

As much as I love my Pentax Limited glass, the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 and EM5 is a bloody awesome combo that dare I say rivals my Pentax kit. Now, if I could get something of that optical quality, in a similar size, but with more manual control setup (like on an MX, LX...) sounds like a winner to me. It's just bloody pricey...