Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro switches to a sensor with less dynamic range

What an idiot, doesn't he realize that on paper and on DXO, Nikon paired with Sony's sensors kicks the crap out of Canon? What's going on here?

01-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Banned

I agree, he is an idiot.
01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
What an idiot, doesn't he realize that on paper and on DXO, Nikon paired with Sony's sensors kicks the crap out of Canon? What's going on here?
obviously you didn't get the point of the video about the body : either 1DX and D4 have absolutely great sensor (little edge on that thanks to the 1DX Megapickles ?), but the ergonomics of the Canon fits him better, he likes more the Canon menu, he likes the skin-tone rendering.

In fact it's pretty much everything that needs to be cared about today, as every sensor is pretty much awesome today.
01-20-2014, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kelby does nothing without a monetary motivation. He is not primarily a photographer, nor a particularly good one unless paired with and/or under the guidance of a legitimate pro. He is a product evangelist and promoter of the product called "Scott Kelby". I guarantee you, he is generating revenue to his own bottom-line by switching to Canon.

01-20-2014, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People get way too worked up over DXO Mark sensor compare numbers. I admit that I have been in that boat as well, but the reality is that any of these cameras is very capable of good photos and it is more about the photographer than the gear. It's not as though Canon photogs can't get good photos.

But I agree that Scott Kelby decided based on a sponsorship and that's all there is to that story.
01-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no interest in Canon, and a little in Nikon (I only have Pentax dslr, and my film cameras now are usually Nikon 1. and Pentax 2), and I really don't care for DXO reviews (well their DR vs iso I am interested in), but:

if you look at iso 1600 the Canon DR is 1.3 e.v. wider than Nikon, and further up in iso it is 2 stops wider!

And for other than landscape higher iso counts.

I had noticed this before and really was amazed. Instead of typically almost 1 e.v. drop for every doubling iso, the Canon is almost flat. My comparison is D3X vs 1DX [I actually don't really know the Nikon and Canon models--hope this is correct choice].
01-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I was wrong on the Nikon model--should use D4.

In which case Nikon is higher, but at higher iso (3200 and above) they are the same. So my point should be--at higher iso for sports/etc. no difference. [Now tell me I have the wrong Canon model!!]

But, yes, at low iso you guys are absolutely correct.

01-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Money talks, photographer walks.
01-20-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
obviously you didn't get the point of the video about the body : either 1DX and D4 have absolutely great sensor (little edge on that thanks to the 1DX Megapickles ?), but the ergonomics of the Canon fits him better, he likes more the Canon menu, he likes the skin-tone rendering.

In fact it's pretty much everything that needs to be cared about today, as every sensor is pretty much awesome today.
Actually I did get the point. My smiley was the sarcasm smiley. I know there is a whole lot more to specs of a camera. Many on forums seem to disagree on that point.
01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For some reason, I've never been able to stand listening to him, which may be my loss, I guess.

But I listened to the first half of this video and he flat out says it was about "sponsorship," although they promised they'd never tell him what to shoot. Said "Canon noticed he did a lot of online training and never mentioned Canon..." And the rest is history. You don't even have to read between the lines.

My sentiments are along the lines of Venturi above.
01-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
My sentiments are along the lines of Venturi above.
I imagine that summation is correct. I've never followed any of the self proclaimed pied piper's of photography. But then I'm also not a target market for Kelby or most of the others products.

I pay attention to people like Danny Wilcox Frazier and others that are first and foremost photographers and aren't trying to sell me "the dream".
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

title should be "Pro is bribed by sponsorship to switch to less DR body but nearly everything is 'good enough' nowadays so who cares?" :-)
01-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

He's one of the most successful money making (by self promoting) photographer around and certainly no 'moron' as some have commented.
Not a fan of his after getting one of his books and looked at a video or two.
Basically, I find that he's just a decent/good photographer who just knows how to put himself at the forefront of the business over others.

Also, I can understand the preference to the Canon skin tones which I too find the most pleasing from all the cameras I have used.
DR and all the DXO ratings is over-rated imo.
Some photos look better with deep shadows w/o a need to lift them.
Others need a dynamic range intervention with 2-5 frames anyway whatever camera. (ok.. maybe a Sony sensor saves 1-3 frames sometimes)
01-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Actually I did get the point. My smiley was the sarcasm smiley. I know there is a whole lot more to specs of a camera. Many on forums seem to disagree on that point.
im absolutely sorry then ! I obviously didn't get the point :-p
Using plenty of different body of different brand and age helps helping understand that the ergo can be far more important than a single sensor.

it's a good post, can create some interesting debates
01-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Which came first kelby or Rockwell?