Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The DF body cost $2,746.95 at B&H :
Nikon Df DSLR Camera (Black) 1525 B&H Photo Video

The Sony NEX-3N with 16-50mm PZ OSS lens cost $349 at B&H :
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Mirrorless Digital Camera NEX3NL/B B&H Photo

So what, the K5II beats out the Canon 1DX and 5Dmkiii in terms of overall score and is priced to clear vs thousand of dollars. I don't give two craps about DXO Mark scores, but the images I've seen at higher ISO (3200-6400) on the D4 blew me away compared to what my D800 can do. That's what I'm looking for personally, but I can't afford a D4. A Df....maybe. Not to mention the feature set of the cameras. A NEX would never work for me, I even gave the 5N a good trial run too. The Df wouldn't fit the role I'm thinking for it either, but it would do it better than any other option I can think of in the price point.

but at the end of the day... this thread is about the hilarity of the Fstoppers review. Because he was thinking the same thing I was. The saxophist talking about his clothing was priceless.

01-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Somewhere about a week ago you posted it. I don't remember exactly where.
It's in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/248...ml#post2649301
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks. Great. But what about when you need to 3D track with fast AF? What lenses are available and how good is the IQ then? See, no one camera is the best.
01-23-2014, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I posted this in another thread. For me, it summarizes all the silly arguments about cameras. It's that many of us have a different point of reference.

Landscape photog... This is the best camera.
Sports photog ... You're nuts. FPS is dismal on that thing.
Street photog ... Both of you are crazy. Big, bulky cameras suck and people freak out over them.
Frugal photog ... You've got to be kidding. This camera has the best bang for your buck. It's the best.
Artistic photog ... None of those inspire me to go out and shoot. This is the best camera.
Gearhead photog ... All those cameras suck. This still camera has the highest specs, most features and best video!

01-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AHAHA ! best review ever

And i don't say that because some of my friends are hipster to death
01-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This 'review' (if it can be called such) was neither informative nor funny. It was 19 minutes of my life wasted.
01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The Fstoppers Nikon DF Camera Hipster Review | Fstoppers

perfect.

I still wouldn't mind one in my stable.
The moped bit is hilarious. Also when the dude holding a pizza box calls him a hipster. lol

01-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
the images I've seen at higher ISO (3200-6400) on the D4 blew me away compared to what my D800 can do. That's what I'm looking for personally, but I can't afford a D4. A Df....maybe.
I'm find the Df to be extremely comfortable in my hands, but then again I come from the film era. The Df is not a small camera, but it is much more in line with what we are used to holding with the K line from Pentax. The video review insinuated that the camera is based on the D600, but he states the D600 is a better ergonomically? I certainly do not find that to be the case.

I find myself using the Df for indoor / low light shots and the K3 for everything else. For low light, the jump between the Df and K5/3 reminds me of the jump between the K7 and K5.

Anyways, back to the video review, does this mean I have to buy a pipe, style my hair in a pompadour and start wearing an ascot?
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Cancel your left signal!!!
01-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Anyways, back to the video review, does this mean I have to buy a pipe, style my hair in a pompadour and start wearing an ascot?
Yes, I'm afraid it does.

Also the guy said he is a pro and has handled about every camera out there and he said the Df is heavy. At 710 grams of mass, I'm a little hard pressed to think of any FF mirror cameras much lighter. Did he think it was suppose to be as light as a mirrorless when the Df is a DSLR, I wonder.

Last edited by tuco; 01-24-2014 at 01:06 AM.
01-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Cancel your left signal!!!
He evened it out...left the right signal on for a while......

Yes, I'm afraid it does.
Is that a double dog dare?
01-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I'm find the Df to be extremely comfortable in my hands, but then again I come from the film era. The Df is not a small camera, but it is much more in line with what we are used to holding with the K line from Pentax. The video review insinuated that the camera is based on the D600, but he states the D600 is a better ergonomically? I certainly do not find that to be the case.

I find myself using the Df for indoor / low light shots and the K3 for everything else. For low light, the jump between the Df and K5/3 reminds me of the jump between the K7 and K5.

I shoot a lot of film and agree, if you think of it like a film camera just on a larger heavier scale then yes, it should feel great! I love shooting with my LX and MX, they are my two favorite cameras I've ever owned. They are also half the size and weight as the Df.

That said, the DF is only 280 grams or so lighter than the D800, which isn't huge weight savings...but then again it is full frame. If you wanted to save weight in FF you get a Alpha. :P

and yes, you need a pipe, drink pabst blue ribbon, and drive a rockabilly wreck.
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I posted this in another thread. For me, it summarizes all the silly arguments about cameras. It's that many of us have a different point of reference.

Landscape photog... This is the best camera.
Sports photog ... You're nuts. FPS is dismal on that thing.
Street photog ... Both of you are crazy. Big, bulky cameras suck and people freak out over them.
Frugal photog ... You've got to be kidding. This camera has the best bang for your buck. It's the best.
Artistic photog ... None of those inspire me to go out and shoot. This is the best camera.
Gearhead photog ... All those cameras suck. This still camera has the highest specs, most features and best video!
+1

If I were to buy a Nikon camera today, it would be the DF, the D3 or the D700. They are cameras built by a camera company.

Sony has some nice technology, but I always feel like it's a consumer electronic device as opposed to a camera.

I put strong emphasis on how a camera feels in my hands and work for me. I think Ming refers to this as haptics.