Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony NEX 5T

So it looks like my quest for a walk around camera is finally over. I went ahead and ordered a Sony NEX 5T. I also ordered a P/K adapter and some extra batteries to go along with it. Are there any other accessories I should look into getting? One last thing, does the lens not use a lens cap? Any concerns with the lens scratching because of this? Does anyone know how good the wifi capabilities are on the camera? Should I look into getting a wifi card? If so, which one?

Thank you everyone. I plan on using it this coming weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need.

01-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Banned

The 16-50mm PZ OSS kit lens does come with a lens cap.

There is a new Version 2.0 Time-Lapse App for the 5T if you want to try it out.
https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003

I use the Eye-Fi Mobi wi-Fi card in my NEX-3N to view photos on my Verizon 4G LTE 64GB iPad with Retina display.
http://www.eye.fi/products/mobi

01-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, the NEX is tiny. Thanks for the info. I was really worried it didn't come with one. I can't wait for it to arrive.
01-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Banned

You should try the PK-NEX Lens Turbo adapter if you have many PK mount lenses that will make a full frame 50mm F1.4 work like a 36mm F1.0 APS-C lens etc.

01-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice My first digital ILC was a NEX-5R, which is nearly the same as the 5T but without NFC. It and my K-30 are my two cameras that get a lot of play time. I think you'll enjoy the 5T.

Tony
01-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the NEX-5R and the 6, and like them a lot for certain purposes. Depending on the size of your "extras" budget, have a look at getting the external flash, the 50mm f/1.8 lens, and one or both of the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses. If you like macro photography at all, consider the Kenko macro extension tubes - not cheap at about $175 but they worked with my zoom lenses and I found that they made it easy for me to switch from regular shooting to macro without having to carry a separate lens. (The only macro lens in E-mount is a 35mm focal length, which isn't ideal for a lot of macro work.)
02-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help with the camera. I'm really loving this thing. Can anyone recommend a nice compact case? Maybe something that will hold the camera, an extra battery, and an extra sd card? I want something I can throw in my backpack and won't take up too much space. Thanks again.

02-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Thanks for all the help with the camera. I'm really loving this thing. Can anyone recommend a nice compact case? Maybe something that will hold the camera, an extra battery, and an extra sd card? I want something I can throw in my backpack and won't take up too much space. Thanks again.
I purchased a Lowepro case for $5.99 last year for my NEX-3N from NewEgg.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/223494-5-99-lowepro...ml#post2390788
02-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My husband has a Crumpler Haven that he puts into his backpack. It comes in several sizes - the small would probably be appropriate for the NEX.

Amazon.com: Crumpler Haven Camera Bag (S) HVN001-X06G40 - Black/Grey: Camera & Photo