Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I really don't know what is the point of the camera
Take photos??

If its performance, in the aps-c format, the K3 is better at the same price range.
Win some lose some on the lenses.
Not significantly different in size.
I don't see what the X-trans has that is significantly better than the 24mp or even 16mp Exmor.
Moire is over blown as an issue (we have a large Pentax group here and lots of K5IIs users w/o any complaints) and the X-trans never showed any more details at low ISO.
It does have a bit lower noise at higher ISOs though, but no game changer.
Fuji colors? - Never cared for them (or course that's personal)

For a bit more $$, if one likes MILC, stylo side of things, there is the Sony A7, which is FF.
AF is decent in most cases (I can't even say the same for the Fuji based on the past performance of the X series, which they always claimed to have improved on since X100 with new firmare)
As small and still reasonable in size with the FE 35 and 55 (ok... the 55 is a bit big for a 55mm f1.8)
Add to that, the ability to use any small RF and SLR lens at its focal length, opens up lots of options and possibilities (and fun)

Pentax does have tilt screen..
Yes, low end stuff on low end cameras.
High end stuff that is supposed to be subject to the wear and tear of such use, no as 'walk in the park' as you may think.

Again, you ARE missing the whole point of this camera... and comparing it with the K-3 is a little out of the waters...
If you want to compare it, compare it with the K-01, NOT the K-3.

As for those tilting screens, they are as good as they get - even if they are on a "lower" end cameras. I've been having my MX-1 with me and use it every day since the day I've got it. It doesn't look like is going to break any time soon...
The only difference is that they don't have WR for them yet.

As for prices... well, it is what it is.
Every brand is been known to overprice their products.

In the end if you don't like it, don't buy it... move on already...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-31-2014 at 08:05 AM.
01-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

This camera is exciting for many of us because one can easily visualize a Pentax logo on it. In addition, the technology it features is new(ish) and refreshing. There is also a lot of enthusiasm around the X-mount products. One can argue that the enthusiasm isn't warranted. Regardless, people are interested in it. And that's good for the hobbiest ILC market.

Pentax has never had a product in the digital age that gathered this kind of enthusiasm. They've introduced desireable products for sure. Maybe some of us are slightly envious a competitor is gaining the kind of momentum Fuji is right now.

Of course, none of this means anything if it doesn't translate into sales for Fuji. My concern, as a Pentax enthusiast, is that some market share may be lost for our beloved camera brand.

Having said all of that, I'm perfectly happy with my gear. It does what I need it to do. I'm trying to become less-gear centric. New stuff rarely results in better photography for my style of shooting.
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
In all seriousness, if the X-T1 had been presented to us rather than the K-01, it would have set the camera world on fire and been a giant hit here of significant proportions. Apparently Fuji had no interest in the "world acclaimed designer" of the K-01????

I doubt the X-T1 would stack up all that well against the K-03, and if you need the advantages of the K-03, it would be a better choice for sure. However, if you are like me, good looks go a long way...and the X-T1 has good looks...no, great looks!

All I need to know now is can I get an adapter to use my Bigma and 43 Ltd on the X-T1? If I can, I'm going to order it!
Regards!
01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In all seriousness, if the X-T1 had been presented to us rather than the K-01, it would have set the camera world on fire and been a giant hit here of significant proportions. Apparently Fuji had no interest in the "world acclaimed designer" of the K-01????

I doubt the X-T1 would stack up all that well against the K-03, and if you need the advantages of the K-03, it would be a better choice for sure. However, if you are like me, good looks go a long way...and the X-T1 has good looks...no, great looks!

All I need to know now is can I get an adapter to use my Bigma and 43 Ltd on the X-T1? If I can, I'm going to order it!
Regards!
Of course it wont stack against the K-3. Two different things.
And yes, it is a very nice camera... really like it.

As for the adapter, I'm sure some company out there will build one to work with the K-mount lenses.

Oh and as for the camera being a hit if it would of been a Pentax... I'm sure there is a group here somewhere that will find a reason to complain anyway...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-31-2014 at 08:09 AM.
01-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Regards!
I am certain you can get adapters with and without aperture adjustment rings. I was thinking about an A7, but this one looks more like a photographer's camera than the A7, plus I've always really liked the images from Fuji cameras. I'm leaning heavily towards replacing my NEX-6 with one of these... make me an offer...
01-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Again, you ARE missing the whole point of this camera... and comparing it with the K-3 is a little out of the waters...
The X-T1 is in fact a little larger than the K-01 (but lighter). I must say I find it surprising how the K-01 was so criticized for its size and yet on the other hand cameras like the OMD E-M1 and now the X-T1 are widely lauded while being almost the same size, or even larger. But at the moment the K-01 has become a discontinued, $300 body-only camera. That's certainly fantastic value, and I'm sticking with my two K-01 bodies for the time being. But it does seems relevant to compare the X-T1 and the K-3 precisely because, price-wise, they are threading pretty much the same waters. Very different cameras, yes, but if you were looking for a new camera body around the $1100-1300 mark, you'd be looking at both of them. I know I would...

EDIT: p.s.: not only are there adapters for K-mount, but there is also a speed boosting adapter...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-31-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: speed booster linky
01-31-2014, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The X-T1 is in fact a little larger than the K-01 (but lighter). I must say I find it surprising how the K-01 was so criticized for its size and yet on the other hand cameras like the OMD E-M1 and now the X-T1 are widely lauded while being almost the same size, or even larger. But at the moment the K-01 has become a discontinued, $300 body-only camera. That's certainly fantastic value, and I'm sticking with my two K-01 bodies for the time being. But it does seems relevant to compare the X-T1 and the K-3 precisely because, price-wise, they are threading pretty much the same waters. Very different cameras, yes, but if you were looking for a new camera body around the $1100-1300 mark, you'd be looking at both of them. I know I would...

EDIT: p.s.: not only are there adapters for K-mount, but there is also a speed boosting adapter...
I have a K-01 and I love the camera. That doesn't mean I don't like this X...
I think for the amount of features, this X, compared with the K-01, it is priced just right (should we remembered the "atrocious" prices Pentax was asking when it was launched!?). Prices that I was willing to pay but luckily I wasn't able since I was between contracts back then.
Size is not a big factor for me and looks wise while I love my K-01, personally I like the looks of this X more... I even like that silly EVF that I usually don't.

I had a K-5 and was thinking about a K-3... but personally I just didn't see the appeal in it for now.
I was happier to sell the K-5 and get the MX-1 and Q. I have the K-01 to fill the other gap for now.

I guess I am starting to really, really dig these mirrorless cameras. Maybe part because my favorite cameras of all time were the rangefinder!? Could be...

That's why right now I am holding on until next year and see what Ricoh will do.
By then, the prices on these Fuji cameras will go down as well and new things will be introduced...

I don't know about others, but personally I am quite excited and I am already looking towards what things will bring.
Depending on what Ricoh decides to do, I might go one way or the other... in the mean time I admire other brands as well.

01-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #53
Veteran Member

The XT-1 is about a half inch less deep than the K-01. It should have much better handling, too.

I owned the K-01 and loved its images. Handling? Not so much.
01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The X-T1 is in fact a little larger than the K-01 (but lighter).
I'd say you need to look at the volume of the camera not the 2-D profile. But they are both pretty small. Nit-picking over millimeters is like turning up the magnification people do these days to pixel peep to discover differences. And comparing a rock-bottom, discontinued camera price to an introduction price is a little off but nevertheless the K-01 is a good deal if you like holding a camera in front of you like a phone camera.
01-31-2014, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Someone said they didn't care for Fuji colors......Not picking at them, we are all different, but the Fuji colors are one of the things I love about Fuji.
Here are some X-T1 shots that have those great Fuji colors I love.
www.KeithLowPhoto.com

Regards!
01-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Use to love Fuji for their films... yes, Fuji knows a thing or two about colors and image rendering.

I'm not saying I don't like Pentax colors or renders, so don't jump the fence at me ... their just different.
01-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone said they didn't care for Fuji colors......Not picking at them, we are all different, but the Fuji colors are one of the things I love about Fuji.
Here are some X-T1 shots that have those great Fuji colors I love.
www.KeithLowPhoto.com

Regards!
Are the colors really any different with Fuji than, say, with Pentax? I honestly don't know. I looked at your link and I just didn't see anything different from a K5's output.

01-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks really nice. Any time I want I can open an image of it and look at how nice it is but I now prefer fewer dials in my life.
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It looks really nice. Any time I want I can open an image of it and look at how nice it is
haha. I feel the same way.

If I were starting from scratch... I'd def give the x-system a serious look. Canikon FF isn't for me.
01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Are the colors really any different with Fuji than, say, with Pentax?
I think its OOC JPEGS mostly. Pulling up shadows in post like your scene and editing the color and what-not makes things much different, I suspect.