Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Someone said they didn't care for Fuji colors......Not picking at them, we are all different, but the Fuji colors are one of the things I love about Fuji.
Here are some X-T1 shots that have those great Fuji colors I love.
www.KeithLowPhoto.com

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Are the colors really any different with Fuji than, say, with Pentax? I honestly don't know. I looked at your link and I just didn't see anything different from a K5's output.

Sorry Rupert, but I really can't see it in anyway being better than the Pentax colors.
I do have friends who goo-ga over it, but when everyone posted up photos of the same outing in the local forums, I still preferred the Pentax ones.
Everyone has different preferences of course.
I like Canon's skin tones the most though....

Looks like the guy in your link stays in Singapore...
Thanks for the link.

02-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #62
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe we all see different things, or what we want to see? When my youngest son was 4-5 we had a B/W TV and we all saw everything in B/W except him. He saw it all in color, he could point out a red shirt, blue shoes etc.

I see great Fuji colors...you aren't using a B/W monitor ..are you?

Regards!
02-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe we all see different things, or what we want to see? When my youngest son was 4-5 we had a B/W TV and we all saw everything in B/W except him. He saw it all in color, he could point out a red shirt, blue shoes etc.

I see great Fuji colors...you aren't using a B/W monitor ..are you?

Regards!
The colors are fine. I just don't see them as different from other brands, except maybe Canon which does different things with reds and skin colors.
02-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I think the Fuji colors ave more "punch" at default settings, but that's not to say you can't tweak a Pentax to get the same or similar results, but in doing so I have found it often has some negative consequences.
On my X10-X20 you are offered 4 different film simulations, as well as the ability to tweak the colors to suit your taste. The default colors are usually my preference. Just my personal experience...Fuji does better reds than my K5, but I have learned to get the reds right in the K5 with a lot of experimentation....so a lot of what we see depends on our ability to make adjustments and can't be blamed or credited to the camera or brand.

On my color correct monitor, this is as close as it comes to being the true color of this Cardinal. It took me a lot of work to learn to get the right red out of my K5, but it is possible.

Whatever a person likes, that suits me! Some like it "punchy" some like it more bland.........and some like both depending on the subject!
Regards!

02-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...maybe Canon which does different things with reds and skin colors.
I hear the Canon skin tone thing a lot. How many photos of people do I need to see before I finally see it, I wonder. Because I haven't noticed anything special yet.
02-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Reading the DPreview preview I'm pretty intrigued, glad the original rumored price was off the mark. Maybe a year from now I'll think about snatching one up. Got other priorities right now, but as far as retroesque cameras go, this looks to have the best egronomics and features for what I would like. The DF is probably a better camera, but arguably more difficult to use?
02-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
... The DF is probably a better camera, but arguably more difficult to use?
The Df is a DSLR. Has both front and rear command dials. The front one should have been just their regular type instead but a little adaptation and you can get use to it. Depending on your shooting style, it will shoot just like your D800. And if that is difficult to use, the Df will be too.

02-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The Df is a DSLR. Has both front and rear command dials. The front one should have been just their regular type instead but a little adaptation and you can get use to it. Depending on your shooting style, it will shoot just like your D800. And if that is difficult to use, the Df will be too.
The front dial is the only thing I think that I would find annoying. I shoot with iso/aperture/shutter on manual. So I don't think shutter or iso would be an issue. I think the best way to get around my fear of operation on the Df is if I can set the rear dial for aperture, still used the old style shutter dial. Then voila! don't have to touch that front dial. I Don't like Aperture on the front dial anyways. :P

The Df would be a better fit for me system wise, low light wise, etc. etc. but really... if I want the 16mp D4 chip...maybe I should just get off my life savings and buy a D4.
02-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm surprised at the lack of 100 iso. This will be the new mid-range cam though. Based on what we were told on a fuji outing, bigger things are coming.

The lenses are expensive, but they are all premium and fast. Unlike the recent Pentax updates, they are all new designs. Now they have a wr body, i will be interested to see what they release in terms of primes.
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
The lenses are expensive, but they are all premium and fast. Unlike the recent Pentax updates, they are all new designs. Now they have a wr body, i will be interested to see what they release in terms of primes.
The Fuji roadmap seems clear enough. Most of the primes are out now, and their priority for this year are the WR zooms - the 18-135 and the the 2 F/2.8s. There's also a "high speed wide" prime due this year, and it's intriguing to wonder what that will be, given that they already have a 23mm F/1.4, an 18mm F/2 and a 14mm F/2.8. Plus Zeiss has a 12mm F/2.8!

I'm really looking forward to Pentax's next lens moves. I hope they release the 18-85ish and the 10-30ish soon and then update their roadmap so we can have a better idea of Ricoh's plans in the lens area...
02-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Someone said they didn't care for Fuji colors......Not picking at them, we are all different, but the Fuji colors are one of the things I love about Fuji.
Here are some X-T1 shots that have those great Fuji colors I love.
www.KeithLowPhoto.com

Regards!
His portfolio is not too impressive Rupert - I have seen far more superb photos on this site.

His portfolio using the D800 is terrible IMHO.

With the right processing any kind of look can be had these days.
02-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
His portfolio is not too impressive Rupert - I have seen far more superb photos on this site.

His portfolio using the D800 is terrible IMHO.

With the right processing any kind of look can be had these days.
I was speaking of the colors......even the shooter admitted his shots were just quick snaps! Yes, I agree, processing can make all the difference...and anyone that questions the superb shots found on PF is a half blind fool!

Regards!
02-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The Fuji roadmap seems clear enough. Most of the primes are out now, and their priority for this year are the WR zooms - the 18-135 and the the 2 F/2.8s. There's also a "high speed wide" prime due this year, and it's intriguing to wonder what that will be, given that they already have a 23mm F/1.4, an 18mm F/2 and a 14mm F/2.8. Plus Zeiss has a 12mm F/2.8!

I'm really looking forward to Pentax's next lens moves. I hope they release the 18-85ish and the 10-30ish soon and then update their roadmap so we can have a better idea of Ricoh's plans in the lens area...
True. To finish the thought, I am curious to see whether Fuji releases WR primes (maybe even rework of one or two lenses). Pentax (except for the 55 and long primes) has not and Olympus, similarly has not. Interestingly, the XT1 will be bundled with the 18-55. A great lens, but not weather sealed.

I'm also fence sitting at the moment with the 15, 40 and 70 trio in Pentax and the 27mm in Fuji (and two systems), but I can use WR primes. Your move Ricoh (or Fujifilm). If the 18-135mm is good, then it is another reason not to keep Pentax gear for me.

The other interesting thing I find on the XT1 (at least on the spec sheet) is an intervalometer and flash socket (pity the hotshoe isn't ISO). Those are things I use and are much more associated with enthusiast level kit. A battery upgrade would also be awesome (although the latest firmware update on the X-E1 made a big difference IMO).
02-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #74
Veteran Member

A look at the X-T1 from a different perspective.......

The Only Fujifilm X-T1 Preview You Need to See | New Camera News

Regards!

BTW- The part I liked best!

"Seriously, does it matter? It certainly is purty."
02-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #75
Veteran Member

This guy may be as amateur as I am...I don't know him...but the did seem to like the X-T1. The viewfinder is apparently very good...something that concerned me. Combine that with "it's purty!" and I think I might enjoy this camera!

Fotograf Eivind Røhne

Regards!