Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 10:18 PM - 3 Likes   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who has dumped his Pentax dsrs in favor of Fuji, I would offer the following comments:

Fuji--with its through the viewfinder focus peaking--allows for far more precise focusing with my manual focus K-mount lenses than I ever could achieve with either my K-7 or K-5. (I still own three Zeiss K-mount lenses, one Voigtlander, and two M lenses.)

Fuji has a 'signature' look that other cameras can not duplicate. The 'Fuji look' is a largely a result of its unorthodox sensor design. However, its color/film presets are also part of this. This look is not to everyone's liking, to be sure. But it appeals to many, and it does set the Fuji X-trans cameras apart from the rest.

The Fuji's resolution is easily equal to that of the K-5iis. (And not far behind the K-3.) However, from what I've been able to see on line, the Fuji may have the edge over *all* Pentax models in terms of high ISO/low noise.

The Fuji is much lighter than the top of the line Pentax cameras. This bothered me at first; however, I now see it as an advantage.

As someone who has owned (and still owns) some of the best Pentax glass ever made (the FA limiteds), I must say that Fuji beats Pentax hands down in this area. While I love both my 77mm and 43mm ltds (I sold my 31mm), my native Fuji glass (I own the 23, the 35, and the 60, with the 56 f1.2 on order), offers, to my eye, superior contrast and resolution to anything Pentax currently offers.

And, while it is a very personal thing, I much prefer the handling of the Fuji Xpro-1 over any Pentax dslr. (I find the Fujis 'knobs and dials' to be much more intuitive.)

Where does Pentax have the edge? Auto-focusing, weather sealing, and in camera shake-reduction to name a few areas Then there is the fact of the penta-prism viewfinder. However, the new Fuji XT-1 will have weather sealing; the auto-focusing system--while not up to the standards of Nikon and Canon dslrs--should not be too far behind Pentax (never known for its auto-focusing capabilities). So that makes (at least to my thinking) the trump card for Pentax its in-body SR. For some, the fact that Pentax provides a pentaprism 'real world' view is something that will always give it the edge. However, the Xpro 1 and the X100s doe offer an optical viewfinder in addition to the EVF.

I am not saying that Pentax dslrs aren't good cameras--they are VERY GOOD cameras. (In fact, I am sorely tempted to pick up a K-5iis at its current discount price.) And depending on the kind of shooting one does, it may be the best choice out there.

However, the Fuji X system far better serves my photographic needs than does Pentax. I am hanging on to my K mount glass because I still shoot a lot of film with my Pentax film bodies (and in hopes that Pentax comes up with a full-frame offering some day).

Still I hope that some folks who comment on this board would recognize the fact that Pentax cameras are--like Fuj cameras--for a certain type of shooter. "Horses for courses", as they say.

Every camera system is a trade-off; and this is something that is too often forgotten here.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 02-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.
02-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #92
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
As someone who has dumped his Pentax dsrs in favor of Fuji, I would offer the following comments:

Fuji--with its through the viewfinder focus peaking--allows for far more precise focusing with my manual focus K-mount lenses than I ever could achieve with either my K-7 or K-5. (I still own three Zeiss K-mount lenses, one Voigtlander, and two M lenses.)...
Pentax O-ME53.
You have never tried Pentax Eyepiece Magnifier? It works like a charm, and I believe with K-3, even better.
02-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Every camera system is a trade-off; and this is something that is too often forgotten here.
Got to disagree, this forum seems in my opinion . to be very open minded to camera, lenses and other systems. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I disagree.
02-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #94
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Got to disagree, this forum seems in my opinion . to be very open minded to camera, lenses and other systems. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I disagree.
As a whole I agree...but there are some rabid Pentax defenders here that see the mention of any other brand as a threat to their manhood and think a fierce defense or even a fierce assault on the offending brand is necessary.

Many just like cameras in general, and are not as "brand loyal" as they are "camera loyal". With all the options out there, it's hard not to want more than one camera or system. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd own them all...with a stock like that, surely I could get a decent shot more often than I do?

Regards!

02-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As a whole I agree...but there are some rabid Pentax defenders here that see the mention of any other brand as a threat to their manhood and think a fierce defense or even a fierce assault on the offending brand is necessary.

Many just like cameras in general, and are not as "brand loyal" as they are "camera loyal". With all the options out there, it's hard not to want more than one camera or system. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd own them all...with a stock like that, surely I could get a decent shot more often than I do?

Regards!
I don't know. I just think that Pentaxians (the majority of those posting on this forum) tend to be more traditional folks who prefer an OVF with standard SLR design to an EVF and mirrorless design. I think Pentax and Fuji both have nice lenses and I would be glad to see Pentax offer something along these lines.

If I had a choice between Pentax releasing a Fujiesque camera and releasing a full frame SLR with appropriate lenses, I would choose the full frame SLR, but there are obviously a lot of folks who like mirrorless and EVFs out there as well. I just don't think Pentax can probably do both at this point.
02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Pentax has advantage in flash photography.
02-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Rupert, have you pre-ordered yet? Now that it seems certain that Pentax is not going to show a camera I'm likely to buy this spring, I'm looking at this Fuji again. I've always been drawn to Fuji cameras, but never enough to actually buy one. I've got this unhealthy urge to buy a new camera, which I really don't need. I don't know why, but I think Otis's cousin Cletus who lives behind my house in a tree has been whispering things in my ear at night.

02-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I've got this unhealthy urge to buy a new camera, which I really don't need.
Well, that is a good enough reason for me. I don't "need" the Fuji...and am very satisfied with my K5 and Pentax lenses, but I want something new and different. The X-T1 is both new and different. It will offer some new excitement and new experiences in learning how to use it, which is also a good thing. I'm not buying it because I expect it to be "better".......it may be in some areas, and not at all in others, but it will satisfy the "urge"......at least for a little while.

Regards!
02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. I just think that Pentaxians (the majority of those posting on this forum) tend to be more traditional folks who prefer an OVF with standard SLR design to an EVF and mirrorless design. I think Pentax and Fuji both have nice lenses and I would be glad to see Pentax offer something along these lines.

If I had a choice between Pentax releasing a Fujiesque camera and releasing a full frame SLR with appropriate lenses, I would choose the full frame SLR, but there are obviously a lot of folks who like mirrorless and EVFs out there as well. I just don't think Pentax can probably do both at this point.
I think you are right on the first point and probably with the kicker on the second. A SLR system IMO does tend to train you in certain ways and lead to certain expectations on what a camera should do and look like.

Personally, I really like being able to see through an OVF so that I can imagine the shot - before turning the camera on.

Against that, with an EVF, you get the ability to see a lot more information (including a DOF and distance scale in Fuji-land), and if desired you can see the shot in B&W before you take it - all at eye level. Once you have taken the shot, you can also view the result in detail like you would with a loupe on a slide.

Just to finish the thought, if I was 100% tripod shooting with wide lenses, I would be happy with neither - the NEX with the tilt screen is amazing for this type of photography and has significant benefits (not the least of which is consideration for backs and knees!) for high and low level shooting.

We certainly are spoilt for choice.

In terms of the ability of Pentax to deliver another mirrorless camera, the DA lenses are out there - IMO all they need is a well specified body with a way to view at eye level.
02-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Clarkey.....I do have some concerns about the EVF, even though reports are it is superb. I have a few other concerns too, like the lack of in body IS. For me, this is just a chance to experiment with something different, and it may or may not suit my needs. I think I already stated the K3 would be a smarter and more balanced choice, offering more by far at a reasonable cost, but it is still in the same arena as my K5 and I just want to have the experience of another system along with my Pentax gear.

Maybe this is on the order of that little Audi TT I bought last Summer......I have three other vehicles that all suit my needs well...and the Audi is not a need I have at all, really. Yet, I find it to be a thrill to drive and a ton of fun too. If the X-T1 can deliver a little of that, I will be satisfied.

Best Regards & Thanks for pointing out some good comparisons!
02-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Rupert, did you check the studio comparison images at DPR? The RAW K-3 files are looking pretty good compared to the XT1 at high ISOs.
02-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Rupert, did you check the studio comparison images at DPR? The RAW K-3 files are looking pretty good compared to the XT1 at high ISOs.

Yes, thanks! The X-T1 Raw files look pretty decent at anything over ISO 800, in particular at 3200/6400 compared to similar cameras. I think Fuji excels at the higher ISO levels, but I'm not sure that is all that relevant in real world shooting.
The other features of the X-T1 appeal to me.....personally....the more simple controls, and not least of all the handsome looks. You shouldn't buy a camera based on "handsome looks".....but there are people that do, and unfortunately, I am one of them! I just glanced over at my X20 to confirm that I am indeed a sucker for a good looking camera.....and yep! ....I am!

Regards!
02-08-2014, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Well, I think your "rapport" with the object that is the camera is important, whether that comes from the way it looks, the way it feels in your hands, the layout of the controls, whatever - different strokes, right? But whatever it is, at least for those of us for whom photography is a hobby and not a profession, I think it's important to listen to that, so that the object "speaks" to you, calls out for you to use it...
02-08-2014, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
....... so that the object "speaks" to you, calls out for you to use it...
Absolutely! If you have that feel, that affection, that sense of a bond with your camera, you will use it more, try harder to squeeze out all of its best features and get a sense of satisfaction that you are "working together". I carry my little X20 everywhere and although I seldom get any shots I would call "exceptional", we have become great buddies along the way. That has value beyond just dollars.

Working together, we have shot some pretty girls...

Some handsome squirrels.....

Even a few rambunctious raccoons!

In summary, whatever camera makes you get out there and have fun, use it often, and enjoy the experience, is the camera for you!

Just do it! We don't get a lot of chances in this world, take what you get!

Best Regards!
02-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Fuji--with its through the viewfinder focus peaking--allows for far more precise focusing with my manual focus K-mount lenses than I ever could achieve with either my K-7 or K-5. (I still own three Zeiss K-mount lenses, one Voigtlander, and two M lenses.)

Where does Pentax have the edge? Auto-focusing, weather sealing, and in camera shake-reduction to name a few areas Then there is the fact of the penta-prism viewfinder. However, the new Fuji XT-1 will have weather sealing; the auto-focusing system--while not up to the standards of Nikon and Canon dslrs--should not be too far behind Pentax (never known for its auto-focusing capabilities). So that makes (at least to my thinking) the trump card for Pentax its in-body SR. For some, the fact that Pentax provides a pentaprism 'real world' view is something that will always give it the edge. However, the Xpro 1 and the X100s doe offer an optical viewfinder in addition to the EVF.

However, the Fuji X system far better serves my photographic needs than does Pentax. I am hanging on to my K mount glass because I still shoot a lot of film with my Pentax film bodies (and in hopes that Pentax comes up with a full-frame offering some day).

There is a EES focusing screen (via focusingscreen.com) and 1.3x magnifying eyepiece for OVF cameras.
I used this on my 5D (but with a 3rd party 1.5x eyepiece instead with its pros/cons).
Its a match for focusing peaking and I'd dare say better.
Focus peaking just gets the user 'round the ball park' of focus (unless the Fuji implementation is better than the Sony one which I have never seen reports of)
Often, the eyes don't 'peak' due to not enough contrast and often, its the outline that peaks, resulting in back focus.
Peaking has to be combined with a high res EVF and/or focus magnification to get the highest hit rates.
Its also all these 3 factors on an EVF that I think makes the newest EVF cameras better than OVF ones for MF lenses.

You should be comparing XT1 to a K3 at the least, so a Pentax will still have better resolution, noise (esp. with a downsampling to 16mp workflow), AF, SR.

But of course, its all up to the individual.
I'm just mentioning all this as point to point considerations rather than to dissuade you on all this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Clarkey.....I do have some concerns about the EVF, even though reports are it is superb. I have a few other concerns too, like the lack of in body IS. For me, this is just a chance to experiment with something different, and it may or may not suit my needs. I think I already stated the K3 would be a smarter and more balanced choice, offering more by far at a reasonable cost, but it is still in the same arena as my K5 and I just want to have the experience of another system along with my Pentax gear.

Maybe this is on the order of that little Audi TT I bought last Summer......I have three other vehicles that all suit my needs well...and the Audi is not a need I have at all, really. Yet, I find it to be a thrill to drive and a ton of fun too. If the X-T1 can deliver a little of that, I will be satisfied.

Best Regards & Thanks for pointing out some good comparisons!
Why not A7??
I skipped the K3 (until its cheaper in Oct 2014 anyway... ) for one.
My K30 has been working well enough so I thought 'I don't need another aps-c camera for now'.
At least the A7 offers a new format, a size reduction, no need to buy lenses (while getting to see them on 35mm format) and access to other brand lenses if one wants to go down that slippery slope.

But if its for the intangibles (like you have mentioned), then ' JUST BU|Y'