Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It was general speed, yes. X-100 was totally on vacation.
Then the shutter lag. Forever to take manual focus. A battery that suddenly decides to die without any warning. The flimsy wheel on the back to control vital functions. Convoluted menus.

Then after a while I thought something was really, really bad in my approach because the exposure went bezerk from shot to shot, only to discover mine X100 suffered from the sticky aperture issue. It was fixed quickly kudos to repair team.

I cannot summarise how many bad experiences came one after another. I really did not expect all of that. I tried to be patient, gave it several months despite everything going on, (took some nice pictures too the lens is really good) but could not be persuaded. Even the first Q was a far more evolved and polished up camera than the first X100. So based on my Pentax experience, I have decided to give Fuji another 5-10 years to catch up with general usability and the philosophy of taking pictures.

When the X100s came out, I tried it. It was better. But still it didn't feel quite right. The battery is weak, response time could be better. The camera still cannot be used if not raised up to eye level I mean, what it the point in retro outfit on top, if the lens does not come with a retro distance scale? So the "retro" camera must be used as the most primitive P&S digital camera by controlling it at the eye level.

The X-T1 approach takes that awkwardness to a next level. It leaves me in indignation, because again I see lots of new complications not refinements and to me, for no real reason. Three big knobs on top now, plus a shutter release and a fake pentaprism? Totally crowded top. You can't touch it without a fear of disturbing something accidentally. Even the X100 has only two knobs, Leica M only one (let's talk about simplification).

But with T1, we are now back to the Nikon SP interface of the 1950s? At least in 1950s they had an excuse: some knobs were dedicated to film winding and counting frames.

Well, good luck with that Fujifilm. I understand the desire to be different in order to make a new value, but what is the point of being different only to be different? I still think their X100s is the best camera they have made, but it is only a basis for some further refinement and usability that may start to appeal serious consideration. One of them would be to move away eV comp knob and put a small LCD instead, that shows from the top all what is relevant: aperture, shutter speed, focus distance, ISO.

I have also tried Leica X2 and while I like the Leica's interface better (simpler) and Leica feels like a better quality tool, the camera is generally slow and on vacation. Plus the ancient LCD leaves much to be desired in terms of focusing.

X-Vario from Leica was a good step forward in terms of Leica's evolution, many things were better done than on the X2, so with great anxiety I'm looking forward to see what a new X3 will bring. But I have no unreasonable hopes with Leica.

Or if Ricoh comes out with something hi-end in their department? But unlike their cameras, their development team seem to be on vacation
Cheers for the thoughts, well appreciated. I haven't used the X100, but have considered picking one up due to reasonable price and compact size. I'd love the 23mm, but it is a little pricey on it's own. I also had a MF Fuji GA645 previously and the 35mm focal length is ideal for me. I did enjoy using that camera.

In terms of the X-E1, I share the poor battery life issues and would add having to take the memory card out of the bottom (I often use a tripod). I do think that it is a bit like the Olympus E-PL1 I owned (the battery looks the same) - a lot of good stuff, but some things that could have been done a bit better. The image quality does still blow me out of the park though and I really enjoy the "filmic" appearance out of the box.

Point taken on the X-T1 dials - the X-E1 only has two dials on top and I fairly well leave the shutter at 1/125 most of the time and tweak the exposure comp dial. Respectfully disagree on the distance scale - having it in the EVF or the rear screen and being able to see exactly where the hyperfocal is set removes the requirement for the lens to have that information (the cam does have to be on though....).

The comment on the operation speed is correct - my NEX-5n is still a little quicker than when I played with the X-E2. The X-20 on the other hand is much quicker and approaches Panasonic and Olympus micro 4/3 operation speed! not sure why they can't make it so on the flagship, but maybe they have on the X-T1.

Interesting comment re: the on top LCD - wouldn't mind that....

02-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #122
Banned

The one feature I like is support for the new UHS-II SDXC cards.
02-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice vid!...nothing extraordinary about the X-T1, just the great looks.
Rupert, if what they say about the EVF is true, it will be very good. I shot the EM-1 and thought it had a nice EVF. My disappointment with Fuji is they offered the hybrid before and I wish they did with this camera.

By the way. I spotted Otis way up North in the frozen tundra that is Minnesota.

Squirrel! par RyanShoots, on ipernity
02-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #124
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
By the way. I spotted Otis way up North in the frozen tundra that is Minnesota.
Well, you never know where Otis will pop up!

Regards!

02-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Nice vid!...nothing extraordinary about the X-T1, just the great looks. There is plenty there to explore and learn...if you can.....my X10/X20 are so full of greyed out mysteries I will never figure them all out, and it appears the X-T1 may have similar menus. That is one area where I love the Pentax simple and straightforward menus.
Is this a good "value" camera? Depends on what your values are I guess. For me, if it is fun it will work! It will "feel" different...and since my K10D all of my Pentax cameras since have felt basically the same. It's time for a little change, although my K5 stays here, I still love the results it gives, even if it is just a common looking plastic box.
I very much agree with and echo a lot of your sentiments here.
I sometimes just need a change of pace, not a true "advancement". Being able to have a slightly different flow and feel opens up doors and often has you trying things you may not have in terms of compositions or just plain affecting your eye and what you might see out there.
02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Rupert, if what they say about the EVF is true, it will be very good.
It looks really good indeed...optical effective size is bigger than a FF's OVF to your eyes and the zoomed in focus check area is damned cool.

So many cool new DSLRs, so many choices...
02-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Interesting camera, but not different enough to pry me from a K-3 and a fistful of Limiteds...

02-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #128
Veteran Member

no review is complete without Kai's... lol

02-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #129
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Interesting camera, but not different enough to pry me from a K-3 and a fistful of Limiteds...
I can relate to that, the K3 is an impressive camera, and far more practical than the X-T1. The IQ from either camera is likely to be far better than my talents, but the X-T1 is "different"...and for now that's what I need. If I had serious needs, then the K3 or K5s would be my choice. Most likely the K3 for the cropping advantage. After looking around at various sites, it seems almost all the new cameras have Wow! capabilities....we are living in good times for photography!
Now, if we could all just be Lottery winners and own every one!
Regards!
02-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to which system has better AF: K-3 and DA* 55mm or XT-1 and 56mm.

I like to set a focus point on an eye and the DA* simply can't keep up sometimes with children.
02-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #131
Pentaxian

I can relate to that, the K3 is an impressive camera, and far more practical than the X-T1. The IQ from either camera is likely to be far better than my talents, but the X-T1 is "different"...and for now that's what I need. If I had serious needs, then the K3 or K5s would be my choice. Most likely the K3 for the cropping advantage. After looking around at various sites, it seems almost all the new cameras have Wow! capabilities....we are living in good times for photography!
Now, if we could all just be Lottery winners and own every one!
Regards!
It's far too easy in this online mail order age to hit this . . .

. . . very dangerous for those with LBA.
02-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Amazon is already sold out of the body-only variety.
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #133
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Amazon is already sold out of the body-only variety.
Fuji follows the same well-tested recipe of all smaller manufacturers, including Ricoh Imaging; only well-measured batches of the product are produced at the time. It makes the product all too more desirable if it appears everyone wants it. The production of the new GR followed that same recipe for months. Also the K-3.
02-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Well it's working on my subconscious like a bastard.
02-26-2014, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

What's striking to me is, the X-T1 mimics the control scheme of one of my favorite film cameras, the Pentax ZX-5n. That's something I've asked for in the past, but not in a serious way because I didn't think any camera company would ever actually make it. A dedicated dial for shutter speed? Another for EV compensation? Ridiculous! That's archaic, digital cameras left that sort of thing behind long ago. Plus, we now have to deal with ISO speed on the camera body and aperture control on the camera body (because of course an aperture ring on the lens is another anachronism from the film age, never to be seen again). So... I pretty much shrugged and accepted that it would never happen.

And now here we are with a SLR-like mirrorless camera that has dedicated shutter speed dial, ev comp dial, ISO dial... and aperture control on (at least some of) the lenses? How is that possible in this day and age? I would jump all over this if it didn't mean buying into yet another completely new system, when I already have just finished getting my M4/3 kit together and still have lots of K-mount stuff laying about.

What I would really like -- my dream camera, I guess -- would be very close to the X-T1, but with the typical Pentax menus and info panel, IBIS, and of course K-mount. And yes... I know K-mount would require the body to be deeper, front-to-back, like the K-01 where you can smuggle a mouse inside it. I can live with that.