Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 02:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
But it's smaller than an Olympus OMD EM-1 which is a micro four-thirds camera.
Yes... The OMD is silly too.

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
In my opinion, the Sony A7 is TOO small for a full frame. It's nice to fit that sensor in such a small body but once you put full frame lenses on there it becomes very unbalanced and awkward to hold.
Do you own an A7/r? I do, and it in no way becomes awkward to hold at all. Maybe when you hook it up with fast full frame zooms, but that's not really the target audience of the A7, is it? And then there's the battery grip of course. (And those monster lenses make holding any camera awkward, imho.) Such a camera is ideal to use with small primes and pancakes. Goes right there into my jacket pocket. No longer a camera that is awkward to carry around.

01-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The EVF on this thing is amazing, btw. One of (if not THE) best I've ever used.
01-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I second that. I don't get this small body obsession and those who imply that is better for some reason. I like smaller bodies but not too small. You need to mount lenses ( eg beer can on camera look) and hold the darn thing comfortably and that is person dependent. Large, man-size hands or delicate, dexterous nimble fingers. It makes a difference what you like.
01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes... The OMD is silly too.

Do you own an A7/r? I do, and it in no way becomes awkward to hold at all. Maybe when you hook it up with fast full frame zooms, but that's not really the target audience of the A7, is it? And then there's the battery grip of course. (And those monster lenses make holding any camera awkward, imho.) Such a camera is ideal to use with small primes and pancakes. Goes right there into my jacket pocket. No longer a camera that is awkward to carry around.
Full frame is about f2.8 zooms, for many people.

01-29-2014, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[troll]

So, it seems Fuji just caught up with the 1.5 year-old K-30, better late than never

[/troll]
01-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
[troll]

So, it seems Fuji just caught up with the 1.5 year-old K-30, better late than never

[/troll]
[troll]

...and went pass K30 by a mile, requiring an additional 1.5 years for Pentax to even smell it's fumes of progressions..
better than never....

[/troll]
01-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't see why its a better choice over K3 on the aps-c front and a Sony A7 on the FF side.

The shutter speed style is more form over function (used to make sense on my film cameras, now, I find it antiquated and limiting)
Small camera is ok, but their lenses are going bigger with the new zooms, so its not going to balance that well.
0.77x magnification EVF?? - odd.
I will wait to see about the AF.
They always made big marketing claims about how the series was 'high-end' and 'pro', but never delivered on the AF and response front of it.

Best thing about the system, are the fast primes that are 'smallish' and designed from ground up for the aps-c format.\

Edit:
on the tilt LCD thing, I am in the opinion that Pentax may not have the know-how/tech and priority to do it.
The flex circuits in them are a PITA to design and qualify (that environmental and mechanical reliability qualifications)
Its not like a 'just make one' as some people think it is.
Yes, they are prone to mechanical failure and a high potential customer return issue.
So it I were Pentax and had a list of priorities, without know how on flex circuits and the mechanics of a tilt lcd screen, I'd put it to the low end of my list.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-30-2014 at 01:49 AM.
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree with pinholecam - the XT1 is stylish, but from a usability point of view I'd prefer Pentax. What is sexy about the system are 3 lenses: 23/1.4;35/1.4 and 56/1.2. Although for the latter I could also use the DA*55 Gosh I wish Pentax would make a 24/1.X !!!
01-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I don't see why its a better choice over K3 on the aps-c front and a Sony A7 on the FF side.

The shutter speed style is more form over function (used to make sense on my film cameras, now, I find it antiquated and limiting)
Small camera is ok, but their lenses are going bigger with the new zooms, so its not going to balance that well.
0.77x magnification EVF?? - odd.
I will wait to see about the AF.
They always made big marketing claims about how the series was 'high-end' and 'pro', but never delivered on the AF and response front of it.

Best thing about the system, are the fast primes that are 'smallish' and designed from ground up for the aps-c format.\

Edit:
on the tilt LCD thing, I am in the opinion that Pentax may not have the know-how/tech and priority to do it.
The flex circuits in them are a PITA to design and qualify (that environmental and mechanical reliability qualifications)
Its not like a 'just make one' as some people think it is.
Yes, they are prone to mechanical failure and a high potential customer return issue.
So it I were Pentax and had a list of priorities, without know how on flex circuits and the mechanics of a tilt lcd screen, I'd put it to the low end of my list.
You are missing the whole point of this camera...

Also, Pentax has tilt screen on some of their cameras as well... and its working just fine so far... so I don't "get" your comment!?
01-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
You are missing the whole point of this camera...

Also, Pentax has tilt screen on some of their cameras as well... and its working just fine so far... so I don't "get" your comment!?
I definitely am missing the point of this camera, but it probably isn't designed for me anyway. I just thought the point of mirrorless was to be small, but this doesn't seem to be that at all. Lenses aren't particularly small either. Basically, it comes down to EVF versus OVF, which with current technology I would prefer pentaprism OVF, but I know folks differ on this.

As someone said above, the biggest driver of this system is the glass, which is very nice, but also quite limited at present. Doesn't look particularly comfortable to shoot with the f2.8 zooms that are coming out.

As I say, I am not the target for this camera. I could care less about style and want something that is going to be easy to use to produce images I want. For me, traditional SLR design is still about the best, maybe with certain tweaks like tilting screen.
01-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I definitely am missing the point of this camera, but it probably isn't designed for me anyway. I just thought the point of mirrorless was to be small, but this doesn't seem to be that at all. Lenses aren't particularly small either. Basically, it comes down to EVF versus OVF, which with current technology I would prefer pentaprism OVF, but I know folks differ on this.

As someone said above, the biggest driver of this system is the glass, which is very nice, but also quite limited at present. Doesn't look particularly comfortable to shoot with the f2.8 zooms that are coming out.

As I say, I am not the target for this camera. I could care less about style and want something that is going to be easy to use to produce images I want. For me, traditional SLR design is still about the best, maybe with certain tweaks like tilting screen.
So, don't buy it... problem fixed .
01-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I just thought the point of mirrorless was to be small
The camera is significanty thinner due to the fact that it doesn't have a swinging mirror or pentaprism.

Benefits of this cam/system as I see it:
1. Smaller form factor than DSLR
2. Larger viewfinder with features not found in an optical finder
3. X-trans sensor not prone to moire or color artifacts.
4. X-trans sensor does not require AA filter with 16MP.
5. Superior AF as compared to DSLR in live view.
6. Better reliability/less moving parts.

For my style of photography this is the most exciting camera I've seen in a long time. I like Fuji's target audience for the x-system: enthusiasts. As a family guy and working class man I simply can't afford a D800 and f/2.8 zooms.

I'm not going to abandon ship by selling the IIs and Limited glass anytime soon. Having said that, Fuji has my attention. I'm especially interested to see how the 56mm f/1.2 performs.

Last edited by krebsy75; 01-30-2014 at 09:49 AM.
01-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, don't buy it... problem fixed .
Fine. I get a little irked at folks that think Pentax should go out an emulate Fuji (who can do no wrong).
01-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Fine. I get a little irked at folks that think Pentax should go out an emulate Fuji (who can do no wrong).
I never said Pentax should emulate Fuji! Nor do I support that idea!
Pentax should do their own little quirky things - and I love them for that.

But, that doesn't mean I don't understand or that I don't like other brands or what they are doing.
I get Fuji, and I like their approach to street photography... and photography in general.
01-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never said Pentax should emulate Fuji! Nor do I support that idea!
Pentax should do their own little quirky things - and I love them for that.

But, that doesn't mean I don't understand or that I don't like other brands or what they are doing.
I get Fuji, and I like their approach to street photography... and photography in general.
Maybe not. There was a huge thread when the X Pro was released saying that the X Pro was going to kill anything that Pentax had released at the point. I'm not a retro guy, enough said.