Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #106
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some X-T1 shots from Flickr. Nothing here that impresses me as being "outstanding".... but that can be said of most any camera postings that are just random snaps.
Flickr: The Fujifilm X-T1 Pool

If you are thinking the X-T1 will make you a Pro......a mistake I have made with each new camera purchase...you are as likely to be as disappointed as I have been in the past.

Still...it is "purty"! I guess I'll just have to be content as an amateur with a "purty" camera and a little less cash?

Regards!

02-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you are thinking the X-T1 will make you a Pro......a mistake I have made with each new camera purchase...you are as likely to be as disappointed as I have been in the past.
Thanks for the reminder. As tempting as the X-T1 is I doubt it will make me take better pics than with the cameras I already have.
02-11-2014, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Thanks for the reminder. As tempting as the X-T1 is I doubt it will make me take better pics than with the cameras I already have.
Isn't it the truth! We keep dreaming, but the reality is that if we want better shots, we are the ones that need to improve, not so much the cameras.
Every upgrade I have made has given me better abilities, but my degree of expertise has not improved appreciably since my first DS.

Regards!
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like they copied the idea behind the Nikon Df, fixed up their hardware interface quirks (good), made it smaller and lighter with APS-C (good), but forgot about the OVF. That's a complete turn-off for me personally because this things looks like it deserves to be a DSLR.
I would like the OVF too especially since Fuji pioneered the dual viewfinder. In probably 90% of my shooting the EVF would be fine, but the last 10% the EVF sucks for.

I will be happy when / if the EVF can be as good someday because it does have many advantages.

---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 20:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Biggest turnoffs for me is its not using K-mount and Xsync 1/180
I want a leaf shutter like the X100.

02-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Ryan, I have never used an EVF and I am hoping the one on the X-T1 is going to be acceptable for me. If not, I will send it back, but every report or review I have read is very positive.
The only one I ever viewed was looking through a friends 4-5 years ago and it looked like a flickering TV screen with bad snow. Surely they have greatly improved by now? Yes, I would prefer an OVF, the one on my little X20 is wonderful when needed, and in bright sunshine, which is plentiful here, it is very often needed.

As you can see, it will be needed next week...what a fantastic forecast for the middle of February!

Regards!
02-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Gotta say... I'm really looking forward to checking this thing out in person. It's got a certain appeal to it. I enjoyed my x100 while I had it so I'm confident fuji can pull off a good shooting experience.
02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #112
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Gotta say... I'm really looking forward to checking this thing out in person. It's got a certain appeal to it. I enjoyed my x100 while I had it so I'm confident fuji can pull off a good shooting experience.
Interestingly, I'm im a different boat; having tried X100 for several months, and being thoroughly annoyed with it, I'm quite unsure whether Fuji is capable of pulling of even a modest level of shooting experience.

02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Interestingly, I'm im a different boat; having tried X100 for several months, and being thoroughly annoyed with it, I'm quite unsure whether Fuji is capable of pulling of even a modest level of shooting experience.
I'm (genuinely) curious about why you found this to be the case? Speed of operation?
02-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm (genuinely) curious about why you found this to be the case? Speed of operation?
As am I...
Make no mistake, as I said I *used* to have the x100. It gave me significant pains in some respects, but overall and from what I understand about the X-t1 I'm betting much of what I disliked will have been remedied. I would also not plunk down 1200 on a preorder for a 1st gen body regardless of promise (except now that I think about it that's precisely what I did with the K-7)... but I'm excited to get one in my hands nonetheless.
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #115
Veteran Member

I have been so well pleased with my X10 and X20 that it warrants a go at the X-T1. The X100 fixed lens never appealed to me, I am a zoom shooter, but the little "Toy Cameras" have been amazingly fun and useful. I carry one of them everywhere I go.....as in at lunch today.

I guess that "different strokes for different folks" is as true now as ever, but it would be hard for me to understand what's not to like about the X-T1 for most shooters? As for the X100 series, the number of cult-like fans speaks for itself.....and the price is still up there while most cameras introduced when the X100 came out are close to nothing now. They aren't still selling because they are "not capable"!

Regards!
02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As for the X100 series, the number of cult-like fans speaks for itself.....and the price is still up there while most cameras introduced when the X100 came out are close to nothing now. They aren't still selling because they are "not capable"!
True this... I bought mine used only a few months back (not the "S" version) for $460 and recently sold it for $500. I'm still wondering how that happened.

---------- Post added 02-16-14 at 06:41 PM ----------

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but I've not seen this particular review from Bert Stephani linked anywhere.
This is in regard to the also upcoming 56mm f/1.2, which I personally consider part&parcel as far as my interest in this system is concerned.

02-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #117
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It was general speed, yes. X-100 was totally on vacation.
Then the shutter lag. Forever to take manual focus. A battery that suddenly decides to die without any warning. The flimsy wheel on the back to control vital functions. Convoluted menus.

Then after a while I thought something was really, really bad in my approach because the exposure went bezerk from shot to shot, only to discover mine X100 suffered from the sticky aperture issue. It was fixed quickly — kudos to repair team.

I cannot summarise how many bad experiences came one after another. I really did not expect all of that. I tried to be patient, gave it several months despite everything going on, (took some nice pictures too — the lens is really good) but could not be persuaded. Even the first Q was a far more evolved and polished up camera than the first X100. So based on my Pentax experience, I have decided to give Fuji another 5-10 years to catch up with general usability and the philosophy of taking pictures.

When the X100s came out, I tried it. It was better. But still it didn't feel quite right. The battery is weak, response time could be better. The camera still cannot be used if not raised up to eye level — I mean, what it the point in retro outfit on top, if the lens does not come with a retro distance scale? So the "retro" camera must be used as the most primitive P&S digital camera — by controlling it at the eye level.

The X-T1 approach takes that awkwardness to a next level. It leaves me in indignation, because again I see lots of new complications — not refinements — and to me, for no real reason. Three big knobs on top now, plus a shutter release and a fake pentaprism? Totally crowded top. You can't touch it without a fear of disturbing something accidentally. Even the X100 has only two knobs, Leica M only one (let's talk about simplification).

But with T1, we are now back to the Nikon SP interface of the 1950s? At least in 1950s they had an excuse: some knobs were dedicated to film winding and counting frames.

Well, good luck with that Fujifilm. I understand the desire to be different in order to make a new value, but what is the point of being different only to be different? I still think their X100s is the best camera they have made, but it is only a basis for some further refinement and usability that may start to appeal serious consideration. One of them would be to move away eV comp knob and put a small LCD instead, that shows from the top all what is relevant: aperture, shutter speed, focus distance, ISO.

I have also tried Leica X2 and while I like the Leica's interface better (simpler) and Leica feels like a better quality tool, the camera is generally slow and on vacation. Plus the ancient LCD leaves much to be desired in terms of focusing.

X-Vario from Leica was a good step forward in terms of Leica's evolution, many things were better done than on the X2, so with great anxiety I'm looking forward to see what a new X3 will bring. But I have no unreasonable hopes with Leica.

Or if Ricoh comes out with something hi-end in their department? But unlike their cameras, their development team seem to be on vacation

Last edited by Uluru; 02-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.
02-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Uluru, that all sounds reasonable enough. What is an irritant to you may not be to others, and what appeals to others may not appeal to you. So far, I haven't seen any camera that is 100% in line with my desires...or even close...and if it was it probably wouldn't have much of a market beyond me.
Not often mentioned, but of utmost importance is the build quality of the X cameras, the body design, and the feeling that you are using a real camera, not a big clunky plastic box that looks like every other big clunky plastic box. When I pick up my X10/X20 it has a solid weighty feel, the control knobs are metal, the fit and finish are well polished and don't look or feel like pressed out of a machine like plastic on a toy truck. For some of us that matters. If speed was a #1 priority, Nikon would be my choice, they make quick responding cameras. If going with the herd was my #1 priority, then Canon would be my choice, the herd loves a Canon! If the best all around camera was my choice, it would most likely be the Pentax K3, it does seem pretty hard to beat.
Some of us are just a little adventurous, want to play a little, want to discover something different and see if we can handle it......we often buy a Fuji. When I get my new X-T1 I'll let everyone here know what I think of it, and if my thinking was on track or if my mind drove off into a ditch? I've driven off in a ditch more than once...when I bought my Jeep Wrangler everyone told me it was not practical or an intelligent purchase for my needs....that was 16 years ago and I still love it, and when it gets in a ditch, it can drive right out of it without hesitation!

Thanks for your reasonable response, unlike some that just slam a product with nasty words and no real basis for their disfavor.
Regards!
02-17-2014, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
02-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Nice vid!...nothing extraordinary about the X-T1, just the great looks. There is plenty there to explore and learn...if you can.....my X10/X20 are so full of greyed out mysteries I will never figure them all out, and it appears the X-T1 may have similar menus. That is one area where I love the Pentax simple and straightforward menus.
Is this a good "value" camera? Depends on what your values are I guess. For me, if it is fun it will work! It will "feel" different...and since my K10D all of my Pentax cameras since have felt basically the same. It's time for a little change, although my K5 stays here, I still love the results it gives, even if it is just a common looking plastic box.

Regards!