Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #136
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just tried this out in a shop and it is a very impressive camera. Just to address a few of the points discussed here:

- The dials on the top are packed close on the top but they have just the right amount of resistance and I doubt they will be moved by accidentally touching them.

- The EVF is the best one I've seen. It's a bit better than the ones on the A7 and EM-1, but significantly better than previous generation cameras like the EM-5. Since I like EVFs, this the best on the market in my opinion.

- Uluru might seek to ridicule the fake prism, but it's very small and houses a viewfinder bigger viewfinder than any other camera.

- All the lenses I tried focused faster than the 55mm on the K-3. But that's not hard. The 56mm f1.2 was under glass, I'm afraid.

By the way, sign me up for the camera Uluru described. If it has an EVF, all the better. Just looking at the progress between the EM-5 and the XT-1 makes me feel that reflex technology's days are numbered and all mounts will transition to EVFs in the next few years.

02-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #137
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
By the way, sign me up for the camera Uluru described. If it has an EVF, all the better. Just looking at the progress between the EM-5 and the XT-1 makes me feel that reflex technology's days are numbered and all mounts will transition to EVFs in the next few years.
A fantastic conclusion. Gives some reassurance to your own fears that the opposite also may be true and that there is a reason reflex works?

Anyway, such wishes of yours inevitably eradicate all the good choices in life, and the beginners are quite fond of them.

I am quite relieved the reflex technology may become a niche of the sorts, and prove itself a real alternative to everything else being same, boring and predictable.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.
02-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
A dedicated dial for shutter speed? Another for EV compensation? Ridiculous! That's archaic, digital cameras left that sort of thing behind long ago.
Until recently, Leica was the only game in town if you wanted a camera like this. I'm glad to see them growing in popularity.
02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #139
JPT
Pentaxian

My comment came from switching between the XT-1, a K-3 and a D800. I just found the XT-1 to be fastest and quietest to focus. I also thought the benefits of the EVF were pretty clear. I felt it was nicer to use than the D800, which like most OVFs is not good enough for critical focus and forces you to rely on AF. But that isn't even a fair comparison, because if you compare its price peers like the K-3, their OVFs are rather dark an small.

On the issue of choice, I agree that having a choice is good for consumers. But consider that two years ago, I was able to choose a mirrorless or reflex K-mount camera, but now I don't have the choice. I hope that choice is restored.

02-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just tried this out in a shop and it is a very impressive camera. Just to address a few of the points discussed here:

- The dials on the top are packed close on the top but they have just the right amount of resistance and I doubt they will be moved by accidentally touching them.

- The EVF is the best one I've seen. It's a bit better than the ones on the A7 and EM-1, but significantly better than previous generation cameras like the EM-5. Since I like EVFs, this the best on the market in my opinion.

- Uluru might seek to ridicule the fake prism, but it's very small and houses a viewfinder bigger viewfinder than any other camera.

- All the lenses I tried focused faster than the 55mm on the K-3. But that's not hard. The 56mm f1.2 was under glass, I'm afraid.

I recently tried a A7 and the EVF impressed me a lot. My first thought is:"this EVF is usable"! I came to the same conclusion as you: it will replace OVF in future as it keep improving.

Many of those who bash EVF, I am afraid, have not tried looking at a recent one...

The X-T1 EVF is better than A7/A7R, as some said... so that is impressive.

But at the same time.... those who is not used to shooting though OVF ("upgrader" from P&S), this is really not an issue for them - they don't care, they are happy to use the back LCD to compose.
03-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #141
Forum Member

I just bought the XT1 with 18-55 kit lens. It should be here in 3 days. Excited!
03-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #142
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ploetzlich Quote
I just bought the XT1 with 18-55 kit lens. It should be here in 3 days. Excited!
If you have read this review, it would be difficult not to think you made a great choice.
The Fujifilm X-T1 Full Review and Field Test | Dan Bailey's Adventure Photography Blog

Regards!

03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #143
Veteran Member

I really want to resist this thing until the price drops.... I'm not sure how long that will last.

Coincidentally (and I'm sure this has been covered or I could do a search, but i'm working and can't hunt around) is it possible to use k-mount on fuji systems via adapter?
03-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #144
Forum Member

I got my camera this morning. Super well-built and just feels really nice in your hands. The EVF, despite being the best one I've seen so far, is still not my favorite thing ever compared to OVF's. I will have to put it through the ringer soon.
03-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I really want to resist this thing until the price drops.... I'm not sure how long that will last.

Coincidentally (and I'm sure this has been covered or I could do a search, but i'm working and can't hunt around) is it possible to use k-mount on fuji systems via adapter?
Yes. Lenses with aperture rings work best. Use shutter priority mode. The interesting thing about the recent fuji bodies is the split focus screen to aid manual focus. The peaking mode is quite good. No image stabilisation, though.
03-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #146
Veteran Member

I got my camera this morning. Super well-built and just feels really nice in your hands. The EVF, despite being the best one I've seen so far, is still not my favorite thing ever compared to OVF's. I will have to put it through the ringer soon.
Lemme know when you've decided the EVF is no good and need to pass it off somewhere cheap.
03-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Sure would like to see a few shots, we won't pick at them, don't worry...just post something and give us a little personal review as soon as you feel like you are getting familiar with it. Real people reviews are the best kind, and I am assuming you are a "real people"! Just the first impressions, any particular likes and/or dislikes.....and a shot or two of the family cat/dog/ hamster....or whatever!

Regards!
03-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #148
Veteran Member

There's quite a bit of buzz and results on the serious compacts forum in their X section.
03-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
There's quite a bit of buzz and results on the serious compacts forum in their X section.
Didn't know about that forum - thanks for the pointer! There's also a (so far pretty short) X-T1 vrs K-3 thread on there...
03-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Thanks! I liked the long list of personal X-T1 reviews here.....
Big list of XT1 & 56mm f/1.2 reviews + galleries

Very interesting stuff in those. It appears that most are well pleased and the photos look more than adequate for most any shooters requirements.

I didn't find it more than just "amusing" to compare the X-T1 to the Pentax K3. A lot like comparing my Dodge Ram truck to my Audi TT...both carry things and both are excellent at what they are designed for. Both the K3 and X-T1 are weatherproof, and both are black. Any further comparison is mostly ridiculous.
From the standpoint of all around utility and practicality, the K3 would be a much better choice in a hundred or more ways. Still, that does not negate the value of the X-T1 if you are looking for something "different".

Regards!