Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon 6D oddness

Ive been doing some research on the reviews of the FF canon 6D . and as a whole ive been surprised at how the image quality is not that impressive. in fact of some review sites the k-30 yielded sharper raw images than the 6D

02-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that is indeed strange. I believe that the quality of the sensor make a big difference. Canon has had its share of sensor issues . And or course the glass used tfor the comparison is also important. We all know that the FA Ltd trio are among the best....
02-03-2014, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I am in the market for a newer body and I was contemplating going full frame. I looked at the 6D and D600. The 6D is not worth the price IMO. The Nikon seemed like it outperformed it in almost every aspect. In the end I dont think I can bring myself to buy another brand. It may sound stupid, but it just doesnt feel right to buy another brand. Guess I am hooked on Pentax for life.
02-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I am in the market for a newer body and I was contemplating going full frame. I looked at the 6D and D600. The 6D is not worth the price IMO. The Nikon seemed like it outperformed it in almost every aspect. In the end I dont think I can bring myself to buy another brand. It may sound stupid, but it just doesnt feel right to buy another brand. Guess I am hooked on Pentax for life.
What is your #1 compelling reason to get a FF?

02-03-2014, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
What is your #1 compelling reason to get a FF?
Honestly it is the crop factor. I have recently moved to California and I have noticed I am doing mostly landscapes. Having a camera without the crop factor would make getting some of the shots easier. My wife does wedding photography and having superior low light performance would be helpful. After weeks of reading and comparing prices of bodies and glass, etc I decided to just stick with my Pentax stuff. I am looking at buying a k-3 and a 12-24 Lens in the next few weeks. I just didnt get that excited feeling inside when I looked at Canon and Nikon stuff. Whenever I buy or look at new Pentax stuff I get a warm fuzzy feeling.
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Can you cite to the articles that say that the image quality is not impressive?

The 6D is a nice camera that takes great pictures. I'd be shocked if a photographer could not manage to take great pictures with the 6D. It doesn't look as good as the D600 on paper, but you'd be hard pressed to find the 6D lacking in actual use in the field.

I'm not some Canon apologist. I don't currently own any Canon gear. But I have used the 6D and it is a really good camera, especially for its time and price.

*edit*
Come to think of it, the 6D sensor is often praised as being better than the 5D3 sensor.

And if I was presented with the option of a K-30 or a 6D, I'd chose the 6D, no question. I can't imagine anyone else wouldn't do the same.

Now if we are arguing price/value, then that changes things. I'm just saying that the 6D is a nice full frame camera that was competitively priced and specced for its time.

Last edited by Aegon; 02-03-2014 at 02:00 PM.
02-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think sharpness is as much sensor related as it is more dependent on lenses and photographic practice. The 6D has a very good high-ISO sensor. It is also bargain priced. The one knock against it is that the AF is only strong in the center vs. 61 points for the 5DMK3.

Regarding quality determination, it really depends on your output requirements & system-wide needs. To evaluate camera sensors based on low-rez web jpegs is facile. The 6D also opens a broader range of lenses for both general and specialized use. For my needs, my 5DMK3 is in a different league than my K-3, on levels of performance, flexibility, ergonomics and image quality.

M

02-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Banned

Canon full frame DSLRs have much lower DXOmark sensor scores than Nikon or Sony full frame cameras.
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings
02-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Choosing between the 6D and D600 based on DXOMark is like choosing between a glass of milk that expires in 30 days against one that expires in 31 days. Yes, 31 days is better, but both are essentially equal for nearly all uses.
02-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Choosing between the 6D and D600 based on DXOMark is like choosing between a glass of milk that expires in 30 days against one that expires in 31 days. Yes, 31 days is better, but both are essentially equal for nearly all uses.
And possible comparing Whole milk versus 2% milk ....
02-03-2014, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot with both K-5IIs and 6D.

Image quality at lower ISO is practically a wash between them; the 6D pulls ahead at higher ISOs.
02-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I shoot with both K-5IIs and 6D.

Image quality at lower ISO is practically a wash between them; the 6D pulls ahead at higher ISOs.
What would be the point where 6D starts outperforming? 3200 ISO? Or even less?
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
video is probably better on the 6D.
And Canon users get to use DSLR Controller on Android tablets...
02-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rather than say that the 6D o/p is not impressive, I think all cameras have come to a point where they are good enough for most needs.
The 6D is not known to be better at low ISO than the 16mp Exmor or the D600 sensor.
However, it does have better noise 'damping' at higher ISO.

Its also smaller and lighter than the D610.
Not the best in features (like lack of high sensitivity AF points), but certainly an adequate camera for most things.
Canon does seem to have better skin tones too for me. (personal preference)

Not that I would suggest anyone to buy one.
Everyone needs to weigh his/her own priorities/budget as to which camera is better.
If one already have Canon stuff, I think there is certainly no wrong getting one.
02-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like others have said, it's probably just the lens that is being used in the comparisons. but if you go to image resource and use their Imaging Resource "Comparometer" and look at thier still life sample the A7 ( not even the a7r) but the a7 just blows the 6D away in IQ at lower ISOs. However at ISOs 1600 and above the Canon 6D seems to really show its power.. Even the k-30 at ISO 100 seems to hold its own against the 6D. I would be interested to see DPreviews comparisons when they get it up

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-04-2014 at 02:37 AM.