Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
+1

I have just acquired an old Canon 5D + 50 1.8 mk I for less than 400€. It has been a real eye-opener. Finally a viewfinder that is big and bright and the AF seems to be very good as well, at least much better in Servo mode than my K-5. But the best thing is the IQ of the photos: the colours and the skin tones are just perfect! Even though the camera is "old" it is very fast to operate, feels good in hand and I seem to reach out for it instead of my K-5 just because itīs more fun to shoot with.
It actually get better with a precision focus EES screen.
Very accurate for MF.

I don't have good experience with the 5D AF.
Slow and inaccurate. (certainly poorer than K5)

Of course, the downsides are :
1. No auto ISO
2. Lousy, almost useless LCD
3. Poor interface
4. Limited features compared to new cameras

But its amazing that if I put away the downside, it does have a lot going for it.
WB generally accurate (never did need to tweak it a lot)
Metering was generally accurate (and recoverable with its 1stop highlight headroom)
ISO was 3200, but its was usable and with fast lenses, I seldom needed more than 1600.
Nice skin tones. Softer looking, more pinkish (maybe not accurate but certainly more pleasing)
Sharp and forgiving at the same time at 12mp.
Able to adapt many cheap and good lenses.
In fact, if I was purely logical about it, its all the camera I'd need.

02-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Sometimes that's all you need: is finding just the "right" tool for you.
02-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
It actually get better with a precision focus EES screen.
Very accurate for MF.

I don't have good experience with the 5D AF.
Slow and inaccurate. (certainly poorer than K5)

Of course, the downsides are :
1. No auto ISO
2. Lousy, almost useless LCD
3. Poor interface
4. Limited features compared to new cameras

But its amazing that if I put away the downside, it does have a lot going for it.
WB generally accurate (never did need to tweak it a lot)
Metering was generally accurate (and recoverable with its 1stop highlight headroom)
ISO was 3200, but its was usable and with fast lenses, I seldom needed more than 1600.
Nice skin tones. Softer looking, more pinkish (maybe not accurate but certainly more pleasing)
Sharp and forgiving at the same time at 12mp.
Able to adapt many cheap and good lenses.
In fact, if I was purely logical about it, its all the camera I'd need.

Thatīs a very good summary! Indeed, with the small LCD it almost feels like you are shooting with a film camera. Add to that the shutter sound which resembles a film cameraīs film advance mechanism. Maybe the AF speed / accuracy is related to the lenses used. I have tested the Servo AF on my son when he was going downhill towards me on a sledge. I could nail the focus much easier than with my K-5 and FA limiteds.

anyway, this camera is a real bargain, and like you said itīs probaply all the camera that I will ever need.
02-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Thatīs a very good summary! Indeed, with the small LCD it almost feels like you are shooting with a film camera. Add to that the shutter sound which resembles a film cameraīs film advance mechanism. Maybe the AF speed / accuracy is related to the lenses used. I have tested the Servo AF on my son when he was going downhill towards me on a sledge. I could nail the focus much easier than with my K-5 and FA limiteds.

anyway, this camera is a real bargain, and like you said itīs probaply all the camera that I will ever need.
Ha..ha..
Thats is exactly how I treated it (ie. a MF film camera for my M42 lenses)

02-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd opt for a nice used Fuji X100.
(Yes, I know you said "new". )

Chris
02-14-2014, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I just love the look of the K-30 and in particular that red one
It's Valentines Day, I say treat yourself!
02-14-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter

Nothing says love quite like a shiny new camera, right?