Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have my doubts about color accuracy for red/green. I think it will make image processing far easier and the files will likely be sharp, but you might exhibit some color inaccuracies or even artifacts. If it is processing power that drew them to this solution, I would think it is their budget camera.

02-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, this is official real now.
I still don't understand how it comes up to 39MP.
02-10-2014, 02:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
So, this is official real now.
I still don't understand how it comes up to 39MP.
I wrote a longer message with one idea, but I realized it was a lot simpler:

19.6mpix of blue information and 19.6mpix of red/green. Comes out to 39mpix of color information (albeit duotone).
This is how sigma measures resolution of foveon: resolution times the number of color layers.

Here they have a 19.6 mpix of blue channel and they derive red/green by subtracting blue from the total luminance.

Last edited by rrstuff; 02-10-2014 at 02:14 AM.
02-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I have my doubts about color accuracy for red/green. I think it will make image processing far easier and the files will likely be sharp, but you might exhibit some color inaccuracies or even artifacts. If it is processing power that drew them to this solution, I would think it is their budget camera.
I doubt that the interpolation should be any less accurate than a current mainstream Bayer's.
It may be only better.

02-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I doubt that the interpolation should be any less accurate than a current mainstream Bayer's.
It may be only better.
It should be slightly better, because it interpolates from two rather than three colors. Someone on dpreview brought up a good point that there is a scattering of light throughout the silicon so resolution goes down as the light penetrates anyway, not sure how much does it scatter though. I doubt it scatters to 2x the area over such a thin layer.

However, the data processing will a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the change of a radius in an airy disc. This would require processing every pixels for possible color-halos. Sounds like a pain even if it is done by a dedicated chip.
02-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Looks quite unique, with unique guts as well.
02-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not convinced that "reverse" grip is very functional. Granted, it's eye-catching, and it looks like it is meant to be operated one-handed (what about the "lefties", though?) but the placement of the Focus button means you'd be moving your thumb off the inside edge to use it. The shutter button also looks to be awkwardly placed. First impressions suggest Bauhaus rules weren't invoked for the form. Maybe this is their first "Art" camera.
02-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'm not convinced that "reverse" grip is very functional. Granted, it's eye-catching, and it looks like it is meant to be operated one-handed (what about the "lefties", though?) but the placement of the Focus button means you'd be moving your thumb off the inside edge to use it. The shutter button also looks to be awkwardly placed. First impressions suggest Bauhaus rules weren't invoked for the form. Maybe this is their first "Art" camera.
I think reverse grip works better with smaller lenses Sigma uses— better centre of gravity.
Normal grips work better with tele-lenses.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wow! Looks quite unique, with unique guts as well.
I was immediately reminded of this:

02-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think reverse grip works better with smaller lenses Sigma uses— better centre of gravity.
Normal grips work better with tele-lenses.
You may well be right in general, but I was talking about this particular one. Anyway, it will be interesting to actually hold the camera and operate it, so then we'll know for sure.
02-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Anyway, it will be interesting to actually hold the camera and operate it, so then we'll know for sure.
Agreed; the design is so unusal (and to me, not in a good way; imagine the stares you would get shooting with this in the wild) that I have to think that there is some real ergonomic benefit to it, so I'm really curious to hold it myself.

Also, two other dp cameras are to be released, one with a 19mm lens and one with a 50mm lens.
02-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Flip that grip around and we might be talking ergonomics.

By the looks of it, it primarily relies on the thumb to maintain grip, and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use your thumb to use the controls on the back. It's particularly iffy with that rear dial, which forces you to release your entire hand from the thumb grip. So you can either rely on an insecure palm squeeze on smooth plastic to hold the camera up, or it forces you to use two hands. Maybe it's a relatively minor issue as most probably use two hands anyway when using controls, but it does appear to be an ergonomic issue that did not need to be introduced for the sake of unique looks.

As a contrast, I can hold up (and shoot) my K-3 with all but my 1kg+ telephoto lenses using nothing but my four fingers on the front grip, and reach any right side control one-handed without too much trouble (except the Live View/Record button which requires a shift in grip to stretch my thumb that far).

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-10-2014 at 04:50 AM.
02-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
Anyway, very interesting concept this new Quattro. I was indeed expecting / hoping Pentax / Ricoh to come with something new and contemporary like this (a new category), but nada.
02-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Indeed there is a new sensor, it is now a 39 Mp bayer-equivalent sensor with a 20 Mp blue layer and 5 Mp red and green layers :

The new 1:1:4 structure (bottom 1: middle 1: top 4) offers higher resolution
that is equivalent to 39 megapixels for conventional color filter array sensors.
In addition to this ultra-high resolution, the sensor offers enhanced noise characteristics
and faster processing and writing to memory of high-volume image data.

Technology | dp Series | Cameras | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 09:39 AM ----------

And it's really going to produce 39Mp JPEG files : JPEG SUPER-HIGH 7,680×5,120
Interesting...
I do think that some sort of new layering pattern would be the future of higher resolving sensors over bayer array type ones.
02-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

The main criticisms about the DP Merrill cameras were noise at high ISO, operating speed, ergonomics and battery life. It looks like they have taken steps to address all of these weaknesses, so I find this camera quite interesting. Looking at the huge prints from Foveon sensors at last year's CP+, it was hard to deny the quality they are capable of, and I can't imagine Sigma's new sensor will be worse than the last one.

I also like the ambition of the design. Retro designs are nice, but if everyone spends their time remaking the classics of the past, where will the classics of the future come from?
02-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Sigma has a big winner on its hands if they can either do a 17-20mm equivalent version of the DPxm series or one with a fixed 8-16mm.
The resolving power of a D800e+expensive UWA, but in the size of a compact camera.
Exactly!! Top quality UWA's are expensive and large for SLRs, Sigma could have a phenomenal landscape setup on their hands if they would put out something wider than the fixed 30mm eq. DP1. It'd be great to have a 15-30/4 eq. "DP0" that I could throw in my bag as a landscape and backup camera.

Glad to see Sigma making creative strides - this company has been so impressive after the first SD1 debacle. They're pushing the bounds like none other right now, challenging even Zeiss with their lens designs. If only they could partner with Pentax on a more fully featured DSLR body...