Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteQuote:
For the person moving up from a smartphone camera or a P&S camera this four year old design is perfect.
The Sony A6000 would be even more perfect for someone moving up from a smartphone or P&S IMHO.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/251...-tracking.html

Last edited by jogiba; 02-17-2014 at 07:04 AM.
02-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think both the A6000 and the T5 are excellent upgrades for P&S users. They offer different shooting experiences. One will give you the compact mirror-less experience and the other will have a heftier and more mechanical experience with an OVF.

I agree that Canon seems to be fading compared to Sony but maybe they are slowly moving away from consumer grade photography. Maybe they are going to concentrate on professional grade stuff and video. They'll let whatever trickle down to their still cameras and keep selling then for presence. As long as people buy them they will always have shelf space at the stores.
02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just wish that Canon was more of a competitor to Sony in the sensor department -- pushing them to come up with newer and better sensors. Canon sensors, up to the 7D, were cutting edge and then since then it just feels like they haven't done much. It isn't really about megapixels at all. It is about dynamic range and noise and color depth and things that folks buying a T5 won't care about anyway. I just wish Canon had some new ideas, other than in the video line.
As far as I'm aware, and according to DxOMark (though I haven't looked for a while), Canon sensors have always lagged behind those of other manufacturers and have never been cutting edge. I think the gap has widened in the last few years, and them trotting out the same tired 18MP sensor yet again will not help that impression in the camera-buying public. I assume they must be working on something, especially in the APS-C size, though Canon's APS-C is smaller that that of other companies, which may explain the lower performance.

I've had a look just now and it seems Canon are way behind in the IQ stakes, at least in APS-C:

Canon EOS 700D versus Nikon D7100 versus Pentax K-5 II - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark
02-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Totally agree. For the person moving up from a smartphone camera or a P&S camera this four year old design is perfect.
You get no arguments me there.................

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Maybe 16 MP seems a bit on the low side since we are now pushing toward 18, 20, and 24 MP sensors.
I haven't seen a 24mp I didn't like :P