Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New release Canon EOS Rebel T5, on the inside it's four years old

Just thought this was interesting, they havent changed their formula in years. Pentax should gain from this.

Canon EOS Rebel T5 - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

02-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Well that's bull!
02-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the name of the thing that's so tragic...
spose they could call them the jelly mould but that wouldn't catch on
02-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #4

same crap new skin

02-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looking at the specs, the K-500 looks like a winner alongside the Canon. I hope Ricoh realizes the true potential of their entry-level DSLRs in the future...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I saw this earlier and wondered how Canon could release such a camera in this day and age. How old is that 18MP sensor now?

At 3 FPS it's barely faster than the 2.8 my K200D can manage, and it's six years old...

The K500 is light-years ahead and will probably be cheaper.
02-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While we may laugh and gloat, I think this camera makes a lot of sense.

Its good enough to take good photos.
In fact it is beyond the requirements and capabilites of the laymen which it is targeted for.
Remember, this IS entry level and to Canon this is their concept of it and the buying base.
So it gives a 'dslr' like thing to the masses, keeps production and development cost low.
Renews the line and maintains pricing.
What's there not to like? (Esp. For the Canon executive)

There is no reason why camera companies want to push up the standard of their low main high volume low end cameras.
That would canabalize their higher end stuff and push them to try and innovate more (when it is hard to)

02-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the biggest thing people actually look at when purchasing a DSLR is cost. And this camera will sell for 500 dollars with a kit lens. It does seem like Canon keeps releasing the same camera though -- no new sensors, no new tech at the bottom end of things. Kind of sad. I remember when they were really pushing things about five years ago and it felt like Nikon was playing catch up.
02-12-2014, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

Smart business move by Canon to come out with a four year old entry level DSLR with new T5 name so clueless consumers will eat it up at Costco etc.
02-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Smart business move by Canon to come out with a four year old entry level DSLR with new T5 name so clueless consumers will eat it up at Costco etc.
When you've got a winning formula, keep playing.

Though to be fair it probably does af, flash and indoor wb better than the entry level Pentax. The moms that have it and photo their kids will appreciate those things. The won't throw it to the floor screaming about the terribly outdated sensor technology.

There are pros still shooting 40d's, hell I know of one that shoots a 20d. This camera will have better IQ than the than either of those and they are good enough.
02-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In the words of Luke Skywalker...........

What a piece of Junk

---------- Post added 02-14-14 at 06:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Consumers are like that
02-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well that's bull!
I agree with you.........
02-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
While we may laugh and gloat, I think this camera makes a lot of sense.

Its good enough to take good photos.
In fact it is beyond the requirements and capabilites of the laymen which it is targeted for.
Remember, this IS entry level and to Canon this is their concept of it and the buying base.
So it gives a 'dslr' like thing to the masses, keeps production and development cost low.
Renews the line and maintains pricing.
What's there not to like? (Esp. For the Canon executive)

There is no reason why camera companies want to push up the standard of their low main high volume low end cameras.
That would canabalize their higher end stuff and push them to try and innovate more (when it is hard to)
Totally agree. For the person moving up from a smartphone camera or a P&S camera this four year old design is perfect. It still exceeds the expectations of the target audience. Think of it this way. You buy a car with good acceleration. If good acceleration is achieved with 150 HP then why would you want more? They reached "good enough". I think this is Canon's thinking.

There's also the idea of getting more and more DSLRs into people's hands quickly. Get them hooked on the system and have them start buying accessories and lenses. If that's the goal then why should Canon push new technology? If they can do it with some capable and "old" then so be it. Just get them hooked with a product and a new usage experience.

A camera like this is not intended for us and I think that is why it rubs us the wrong way. Canon knows it but I think they also sort of don't care. Again, we're not the target audience.

Also, be aware that someone could say the same thing about the K-50 and K-500. Those cameras are basically repackaged K-30's which is based off the K-5. The K-30 came out in May 2012 and the K-5 came out in September 2010. That's already pushing a few years. Is that bad? No, I wouldn't say so. As a Pentaxian and K-30 owner I think the technology is great! It was highly rated back then and it still holds up well even to today's ever rising standards. Maybe 16 MP seems a bit on the low side since we are now pushing toward 18, 20, and 24 MP sensors.

I would be disappointed in any company if this was the flagship product.
02-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I've nothing against companies (as long as they're not Pentax!) releasing cameras with 2010 specs, but I think they should charge what a 2010 mint condition DSLR would go for if it had been sitting on a shelf all that time. That won't happen.
02-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Totally agree. For the person moving up from a smartphone camera or a P&S camera this four year old design is perfect. It still exceeds the expectations of the target audience. Think of it this way. You buy a car with good acceleration. If good acceleration is achieved with 150 HP then why would you want more? They reached "good enough". I think this is Canon's thinking.

There's also the idea of getting more and more DSLRs into people's hands quickly. Get them hooked on the system and have them start buying accessories and lenses. If that's the goal then why should Canon push new technology? If they can do it with some capable and "old" then so be it. Just get them hooked with a product and a new usage experience.

A camera like this is not intended for us and I think that is why it rubs us the wrong way. Canon knows it but I think they also sort of don't care. Again, we're not the target audience.

Also, be aware that someone could say the same thing about the K-50 and K-500. Those cameras are basically repackaged K-30's which is based off the K-5. The K-30 came out in May 2012 and the K-5 came out in September 2010. That's already pushing a few years. Is that bad? No, I wouldn't say so. As a Pentaxian and K-30 owner I think the technology is great! It was highly rated back then and it still holds up well even to today's ever rising standards. Maybe 16 MP seems a bit on the low side since we are now pushing toward 18, 20, and 24 MP sensors.

I would be disappointed in any company if this was the flagship product.
I just wish that Canon was more of a competitor to Sony in the sensor department -- pushing them to come up with newer and better sensors. Canon sensors, up to the 7D, were cutting edge and then since then it just feels like they haven't done much. It isn't really about megapixels at all. It is about dynamic range and noise and color depth and things that folks buying a T5 won't care about anyway. I just wish Canon had some new ideas, other than in the video line.