Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The bigger problem has always been their lenses are too huge/heavy for these small mirrorless bodies.
The m4/3 systems are a lot better balanced...lenses are typically 2/3 the weight of comparable APS-C lenses (excepting Pentax' Ltd primes of course :-)
I would agree. The Pentax primes are nice and I wish Pentax had a great mirror less body to use them on.

Leica has nice small lenses too.

I'm not a fan of the beer can stuck on a deck of cards look.

02-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I wish Pentax had a great mirror less body to use them on.
This I would really like to see a K-02 of some kind.
02-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #18
Banned

No one boasts to have world's most accurate AF.
But always some damn speed followed by a line of asterisks.
Yawn.
Who is next this week to come with the fastest AF?
02-13-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Banned

Original Poster
The bigger problem has always been their lenses are too huge/heavy for these small mirrorless bodies.
The m4/3 systems are a lot better balanced...lenses are typically 2/3 the weight of comparable APS-C lenses (excepting Pentax' Ltd primes of course :-)
There are many compact lenses like the standard 16-50mm (24-75mm FF eqiv) PZ OSS and you could use the 50mm F1.4 FA Pentax with Lens Turbo PK-NEX adapter as a compact 36mm F1.0.

02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I can't find any comparison pictures w/ that Sony lens...this is the GX7 but I have I have the same pancake on my GX1 and it's tiny....
02-13-2014, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

Original Poster

I can't find any comparison pictures w/ that Sony lens...this is the GX7 but I have I have the same pancake on my GX1 and it's tiny....
That is the old kit lens, here is the Sony A6000 with 16-50 (24-75mm FF eqiv) kit lens :
02-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter

It doesn't look that much bigger than the Q...

02-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It doesn't look that much bigger than the Q...
The Q would still be easier to stick in coat or shirt pocket. There is something good to be said about how balanced the Q looks. The lens and body seem proportionately matched. I never cared for small body / big lens combos.
02-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The Q would still be easier to stick in coat or shirt pocket. There is something good to be said about how balanced the Q looks. The lens and body seem proportionately matched. I never cared for small body / big lens combos.
You need a big pocket for the Q with kit zoom lens.
02-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You need a big pocket for the Q with kit zoom lens.
Yeah, but look at how yellow that thing is! The Sony is definitely not as yellow
02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
A6000 & Canon T5 Cameras Reveal the Strategies of Two Completely Different Companies

QuoteQuote:
The A6000 is obviously a bit higher in price than the T5, and while they aren’t directly comparable, it’s simply stunning how much more tech Sony is fitting into their camera than Canon is in theirs. Not to harp on Canon (because Nikon isn’t much better), but Canon has essentially released the same 18MP camera over and over again for the last 3-4 years. The only thing that has changed is the body and some features here and there. Still the same 30fps at 1080p, and they are still sticking with the mirror technology even though it’s clear that it’s on the way out, especially for lower-end cameras.

The new Sony camera has clean HDMI and crazy-fast autofocus (possibly the fastest in the industry), and while it’s a little more money with the lens than the Canon, it’s just miles and miles ahead. The T5 could have been released three years ago and most of us would have looked at it in the same way. I guess when you have a product that sells well, there might be some fear about changing it, but at some point won’t they want to innovate in this space?
New Sony A6000 & Canon T5 Cameras Reveal the Strategies of Two Completely Different Companies
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I can't disagree when you look a the technologies in the camera, but I wonder by what factor the T5 will outsell the A6000. The T5 has a mature product line around it, has strong name recognition among it's target market. This is a case where Canon can coast because the product is good enough. The Sony might be better, but the Canon is good enough.

I want to see the Sony updates to the A99 or an RX1 successor with built in EVF.
02-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Having used the NEX-5n with the EVF viewfinder for the last 2.5 years and having been extremely happy with it, I will be looking hard at this new a6000 and hope it delvers on all its promises and hype. I have been using it most often with attached prime lenses other than So9nt, via adapter and most recently a lens turbo adapter for my Pentax FA primes. The results have been quite nice and even manually focusing with peaking, I get better results than I did on average with my K-7. Using the 5n with my Sony lenses, the focusing has always been impressive and this new a6000 should be even better. I cant wait until this is launched in Australia and hope the price is in line with the rest of the world, otherwise I will order an American model and have it shipped since it is under $1k.

By the way, there are plenty of lens combinations which dont look like a beer can on a deck of cards. Anything still holding on to that objection needs to explore the wonders of the internet a little more. My 5n with the 16-50 zoom is the smallest APS-C combo I have ever seen and smaller than most m3/4 combos. .

Compact Camera Meter

Jason
02-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

By the way, there are plenty of lens combinations which dont look like a beer can on a deck of cards. Anything still holding on to that objection needs to explore the wonders of the internet a little more. My 5n with the 16-50 zoom is the smallest APS-C combo I have ever seen and smaller than most m3/4 combos. .

Compact Camera Meter

Jason
Let's look at primes. Note the Leica is Full Frame and has a faster lens than the others and it's clearly smaller than the Sony. Of the three, the Leica has the biggest sensor the fastest aperture and the smallest diameter. The other engineers need to hit the books I'm afraid.

Compact Camera Meter

In any case, I'm not willing to suffer through Sony menus.
02-15-2014, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Having used the NEX-5n with the EVF viewfinder for the last 2.5 years and having been extremely happy with it, I will be looking hard at this new a6000 and hope it delvers on all its promises and hype. I have been using it most often with attached prime lenses other than So9nt, via adapter and most recently a lens turbo adapter for my Pentax FA primes. The results have been quite nice and even manually focusing with peaking, I get better results than I did on average with my K-7. Using the 5n with my Sony lenses, the focusing has always been impressive and this new a6000 should be even better. I cant wait until this is launched in Australia and hope the price is in line with the rest of the world, otherwise I will order an American model and have it shipped since it is under $1k.

Compact Camera Meter

Jason
Sony seems to have taken a page from four thirds play book by creating small, but quite slow lenses. I guess it is adequate for a kit lens, but I don't normally shoot with any lenses slower than f2.8 (other than my 55-300).