Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting article: Color and different sensors CMOS vs CCD

This is a very interesting article that talks about the reasons for differences in color between CMOS and CCD sensors. It talks about importance of color, which is something often overlooked in camera reviews, due to difficult quantitation. However, it's also extremely important for image rendering. I think it's worth checking out.

The Phase One IQ250 CMOS Fully Realized

02-13-2014, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Good read rrstuff, let's see if Pentax takes the same level of care and time to properly 'cook their color sauce' on the new 2014 Pentax 645D.
02-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phase One IQ250 has a live view.
645D all the same.
Interesting times for the MF, as it seems Sony itself initiated the foreplay to make a CMOS MF sized sensor.
02-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Phase One IQ250 has a live view.
645D all the same.
Interesting times for the MF, as it seems Sony itself initiated the foreplay to make a CMOS MF sized sensor.
That's what it would seem like. I am trying to connect the dots and there are rumors that they want to get into medical imaging.
It's a very profitable field and apparently it is the reason why they are buying shares of olympus.
For example, bigger, high quality, sensors could be quite useful for microscopy or intravital imaging.

02-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This reads more like a unsubtle marketing promo for PhaseOne than a genuine article. Take what they say with a big grain of salt.
02-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree. However, I think it's an interesting point how a choice of color filter array can make trade offs between noise performance and color depth or accuracy.
This is simply something that did not come to my mind.

I looked up some more information about it and I have seen some forum posts of people mentioning this argument before, citing some DXO data showing, for example, that many red pixels in canons were actually more sensitive to green color.