Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ouch - Lenstip says new $1700 Nikon 58mm is trash

I like Lenstip. They test lenses very well, and write in a straight-forward, easy to read manner. So I track their reviews of new lenses.

Their recent review of the new Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G, a $1700 prime, was, however, exceptionally scathing in it's conclusion:

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps I am naive but I admit when Zeiss announced their Otus 1.4/55 and Nikon – the Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G I though we were going to deal with two lenses which were a match for each other. It seems, though, that only Zeiss was serious about it and Nikon was joking all along, trying to sell you a rough piece of trash for a lot of money under a cover of a storied Nikon legacy.
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G review - Summary - Lenstip.com

Ouch!!!

02-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How will they ever sell advertising with reviews like that?
02-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Forum Member

That's pretty disappointing, I was expecting much more from this lens

Last edited by Dariusz; 02-15-2014 at 06:34 AM.
02-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch.. and people complain that the 20-40mm ltd got a harsh review!
Edit: But seriously, 58mm f1.4? Youd think Nikon (or any brand, at this point) would knock it out of the park.

02-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
and people complain that the 20-40mm ltd got a harsh review!
Hehe. That's what I thought too. Pentax got off lightly.

Nikon may be able to save some face by claiming the test lens was badly de-centred or something, I guess.
02-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Banned

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G Image resolution :

Pentax smc FA 50 mm f/1.4 Image resolution :

I will stick with the Pentax smc 50mm F1.4

02-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if it was a bad copy situation. I don't know how many copies they test, but certainly, you see some odd numbers with tests. DXO Mark tests the Sigma 35mm f1.4 as awesome on the D7100 and decent on the K3. Have to assume the difference was in the copy of the lens. Get a good copy and you are writing the headline "best lens ever!" Get a bad copy and you write "This lens is garbage!"

02-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wonder if it was a bad copy situation. I don't know how many copies they test, but certainly, you see some odd numbers with tests. DXO Mark tests the Sigma 35mm f1.4 as awesome on the D7100 and decent on the K3. Have to assume the difference was in the copy of the lens. Get a good copy and you are writing the headline "best lens ever!" Get a bad copy and you write "This lens is garbage!"
So, as soon as Nikon management reads the review, a brand new, cherry picked, sample will be re-aligned, tested on the optical bench, fine tuned, QC'd, very carefully double packed and delivered to FedEX for overnight shipping. In parallel email will be going out, suggesting that some how it was a bad copy that was somehow damaged in shipping, and that a new copy - a more representative sample is on its way.

02-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
So, as soon as Nikon management reads the review, a brand new, cherry picked, sample will be re-aligned, tested on the optical bench, fine tuned, QC'd, very carefully double packed and delivered to FedEX for overnight shipping. In parallel email will be going out, suggesting that some how it was a bad copy that was somehow damaged in shipping, and that a new copy - a more representative sample is on its way.

Sure.

I just don't know how much to truly believe these tests. Truth if probably that the "best" lenses just happened to have awesome copies, while the "not so good" have bad copies. Look at testing the FA 43 on the K10 at Photozone and on the K5 later. Different copies just test differently, but the problem to me is that there is this much copy variation, even on high end lenses.
02-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other reviews aren't so harsh - when I saw this picture decided, that it's a lens I would like to have. Such smoothness wide opened, and it is really sharp enough.

A.
02-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's a portrait lens. Very sharp in the center stopped down some and good bokeh. It fails pixel peeping lens reviews that don't measure those things. Therefore the lens is bad. Meanwhile, owners of the lens love it for those properties. Go figure.
02-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's a portrait lens. Very sharp in the center stopped down some and good bokeh. It fails pixel peeping lens reviews that don't measure those things. Therefore the lens is bad. Meanwhile, owners of the lens love it for those properties. Go figure.
Well, I think the issue with the copy tested, is even the center resolution isn't great till about f4. For the cost, you would expect better center resolution at f2 and f2.8.
02-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G Image resolution :
Where is the chart for bokeh?

---------- Post added 02-15-14 at 07:43 ----------

Well, I think the issue with the copy tested, is even the center resolution isn't great till about f4. For the cost, you would expect better center resolution at f2 and f2.8.
I have the 58/1.4. And I have a lot of lenses for 4 camera systems (brands). And it has some of the best bokeh of the bunch. It's my people and night lens and I highly rate it amongst all my other lenses. And you guys that are all into nothing but total sharpness will never understand this lens.
02-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Where is the chart for bokeh?

---------- Post added 02-15-14 at 07:43 ----------

I have the 58/1.4. And I have a lot of lenses for 4 camera systems (brands). And it has some of the best bokeh of the bunch. It's my people and night lens and I highly rate it amongst all my other lenses. And you guys that are all into nothing but total sharpness will never understand this lens.
I'm really not. I am someone who routinely argues against these ways of analyzing lens performance, because I don't believe it tells the whole story. But I also think Lens Tip probably tested a poor copy and there are better ones out there.
02-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm really not. I am someone who routinely argues against these ways of analyzing lens performance, because I don't believe it tells the whole story. But I also think Lens Tip probably tested a poor copy and there are better ones out there.
Lens reviews rarely rank good portrait lenses highly. Their attributes are contrary to what they test for except center sharpness. However, I agree this Nikon 58/1.4 does get low marks for price/performance category ( which is probably what makes it so unlikeable). Nikon should have just restricted the aperture to f1.8 and called it a f1.8 lens since f1.4 is really not usable at all.