Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Casio High-Speed Video P&S Cameras

Anyone own a Casio P&S that can shoot high-frame-rate stuff?

I don't need great still, low-light, IQ or noise performance. (I've got DSLRs for that). I want to shoot close-range athletics: specifically discus, triple jump and long jump, also perhaps hurdles & high jump. Role will be for in-the-field analysis during training. MF would be an advantage.

HS480: 224 x 160 (480fps)
HS240: 512 x 384 (240fps)
HS120: 640 x 480 (120fps)

All look suitable. Resolution isn't much of an issue.
Any corded remotes available for slo-mo playback and perhaps even single-step frame forward/backwards? (Single-step is probably not needed at these high frame rates.)
Can they play back slo-mo through the USB/HDMI connector?
How is battery life?
Usability?
Other issues?

I'd like to hook the camera on a tripod up to an battery-powered hooded LCD monitor on a stand.
Any comments on suitable monitors?

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-16-2014 at 11:11 PM.
02-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't own any of their new models, but before I picked up my first Pentax DSLR I was using 2 Casio compacts and couldn't have be more satisfied with the performance, interface, and features. So I'm confident that their new models will be just as good.

BTW, the Pentax MX-1 also has a 120fps video mode. There are some samples here:
Pentax MX-1 Review - Video - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to shoot high speed video then check out the Nikon 1 series of cameras. It may not be what you want since they do high speed videos. You would have to extract stills from the video. The frame rate and image resolutions are higher. You can see example videos on Youtube. Typical subjects include slow motion water balloon bursts, dogs catching frisbees, etc.

Example:

I was looking into the Nikon 1 as my "small camera" but chose the Q instead. If I were more video oriented then I would have chosen the Nikon 1.
02-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You would have to extract stills from the video.
Thanks. Don't need stills, just slo-mo sequences I can use to analyze athlete body postions during rotational discus throws etc.

I'd like to hear if any particular brand or model suits this usage best, with an interface or remote control that best accommodates it. The reason I'm looking at Casio initially is that they've had this feature the longest, tout it and offer a large range of frame-rate/resolution combinations. So high-speed video may be more refined in their cameras than in later arrivals from other brands where it's just another feature among many.

Dan.

02-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Banned

Panasonic DMC-FZ200 with constant F2.8 lens 25-600mm eqiv

BuyDig.com - Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom

QuoteQuote:
Panasonic has returned to their roots with their Lumix DMC-FX200 super zoom camera. Gone are the days of lenses that get slower as you use more zoom power - the FZ200 can stay at F2.8 from 25 to 600 mm. You'll pay a premium for that, but low light and action photographers may find the FZ200 to be worth the price.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Review: Digital Photography Review