Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A7R + Canon glass combination, killer combination

I have been following A7R and so far, it seem to me that A7R+ Canon lenses gave really good results.
Look at this guy photos:
A7R???? - ??, ??, ????? (?1?) - Sony???? - Mobile01
Example:

the thread is in Chinese, but pictures speak for itself.

He mentioned that the A7R gave a better 3D look and cleaner images than his 5DMIII.
His flickr is here: Flickr: Eric 5D Mark III's Photostream
----------------------------------

Another guy, also A7R with Canon glass, mainly portrait of girls and also weddings:

His google plus album: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101564661581516149282/albums/5864905936641156705

So far, I haven't seen any really good pictures of A7r with PENTAX glass, do you? which is the main reason I am holding on buying it - I don't have a lot FF glass!
(honestly, the few threads in PF of A7R with Pentax glass are .... less than stellar)

Last edited by LFLee; 02-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
02-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking forward to see some sample images taken with the A7r and Pentax glass too !
Thanks for starting this thread.

JP
02-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I have been following A7R and so far, it seem to me that A7R+ Canon lenses gave really good results.
Look at this guy photos:
Example:

He mentioned that the A7R gave a better 3D look and cleaner images than his 5DMIII.

Another guy, also A7R with Canon glass, mainly portrait of girls and also weddings:

His google plus album: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101564661581516149282/albums/5864905936641156705

So far, I haven't seen any really good pictures of A7r with PENTAX glass, do you? which is the main reason I am holding on buying it - I don't have a lot FF glass!
(honestly, the few threads in PF of A7R with Pentax glass are .... less than stellar)
If a Pentax lens has the same quality as a Canon lens the image should look the same IMHO.
02-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look at this guy photos:
Example:

don't confuse talent with tools.

eric lo takes good pictures because he's talented and a hard worker, not because he's shooting with canon glass.

the sensor in the a7r/d800e gives more latitude than any other 35mm sensor on the market, which eric noticed when processing his images; it's got nothing to do with the glass... fwiw, that can also be an example of tools improving pictures.

all of your crop sensor pentax glass will work on the a7r, albeit in 15mp manual only mode.

you buy the a7r not to shoot glass from just one manufacturer, but to shoot all glass that's ever been made.

but with caveats... the a7r isn't the best choice for those modeling type of shots that you linked to, because, for one thing, the mechanical shutter is very slow... the a7r works best for the eric lo landscape type of shots.

02-21-2014, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
but with caveats... the a7r isn't the best choice for those modeling type of shots that you linked to, because, for one thing, the mechanical shutter is very slow... the a7r works best for the eric lo landscape type of shots.
Yeah uhu, that 1/8000 of the A7r is way to slow.

Ontopic: all camera output improves when you put good glass in front of it and creativity behind it.
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A big draw to the Sony cameras like the A7R is definitely the use of all sorts of lenses, including Canon and Pentax. But yes, those photos are more than just camera+lens.
02-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thats a taunt, I'm sure.....

The photographers you linked to are good in the first place and we all know that if you shoot gorgeous girls picts always turn out good (and inversely proportional to how much they wear)

We could easily pull lots of crappy ones taken with the same combo or even anything more exotic too.

Somehow, I don't see too many Pentax users with lots of legacy glass posting photos with the A7/r.
Did they not get one? (maybe thats why)
Maybe waiting out for K1?
Too many are older folks, either budget constrained (not intended to be an insult; just different expenditure at different stage of life) or very conservative with cameras (hate EVF; hate Sony; etc) ?
Many sold off their stuff and jump ship for Canikon FF so few such ppl (with Pentax legacy glass and want to get A7/r)

I also think that for some genres, Pentax folks seem to be in the minority.
Over here (Singapore), Pentax users tend not to be girly shooters (ie. model shooters)

02-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Thats a taunt, I'm sure.....

The photographers you linked to are good in the first place and we all know that if you shoot gorgeous girls picts always turn out good (and inversely proportional to how much they wear)

We could easily pull lots of crappy ones taken with the same combo or even anything more exotic too.

Somehow, I don't see too many Pentax users with lots of legacy glass posting photos with the A7/r.
Did they not get one? (maybe thats why)
Maybe waiting out for K1?
Too many are older folks, either budget constrained (not intended to be an insult; just different expenditure at different stage of life) or very conservative with cameras (hate EVF; hate Sony; etc) ?
Many sold off their stuff and jump ship for Canikon FF so few such ppl (with Pentax legacy glass and want to get A7/r)

I also think that for some genres, Pentax folks seem to be in the minority.
Over here (Singapore), Pentax users tend not to be girly shooters (ie. model shooters)
So if I understand correctly, it's not the gear but the Pentaxians, that restrict themselves to flowers, flowers, flowers, dogs, and wideopen closeups with the 50 1/2? Whilst A7(r) means girls in skimpy outfits and spectacular landscapes. Sounds correct.

I'll give another reason for having not many A7 related threads here on PF: They're out shooting?
02-22-2014, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Oh yeah... my friend takes these with a K5....

Certainly at as high a level as anything out there

More here...
Dubai - a set on Flickr
02-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
Banned

More here...
Dubai - a set on Flickr
It's funny he uses a shot of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore at the top of his Dubai flickr page.
Dubai - a set on Flickr

Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
02-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

More here...
Dubai - a set on Flickr
OK... no need to buy A7r, will go practice my skill instead. lol

but still, for someone like me without much skill, A7R might help...

still undecided, fujifilm on the other hand is also very attractive, especially with their fast (and affordable) prime glasses.
02-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The camera manufacturers have gotten to you...
Meanwhile there are still guys shooting 5Ds, and claiming they don't need anything else. Who is one to believe? The guy who isn't happy with what he's go, or the guy who is. I'd be really happy to try out a an A7r, but not $3,000 worth of happy.
02-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

OK... no need to buy A7r, will go practice my skill instead. lol

still undecided, fujifilm on the other hand is also very attractive, especially with their fast (and affordable) prime glasses.
Just get a really good tripod and head instead.

Most of this 'stunning' work is done using quality support regardless of camera and lens. I can't recommend the Induro CT414 and BHL3 head enough. It gives you a much more stable and vibration free platform to do all manner of things, especially long exposure and HDR, as well as getting very sharp single shots using mirror up with shutter delay and remote control.

With the confidence this tripod and head combination gives me and the focus peaking on the K-3 I'm much more inclined to use old Soviet manual focus glass now. Just ordered a mint Tair-11A and an as new Helios 44M-7.
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yeah uhu, that 1/8000 of the A7r is way to slow.
no.

shutter speed is not relevant to how quickly a shutter reacts after the button is pressed.
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
no.

shutter speed is not relevant to how quickly a shutter reacts after the button is pressed.
Ah... You didn't mean the shutter speed, but some kind of lag between pressing button and shutter actuation? Sorry, couldn't smell that from your initial comment. Mine doesn't seem to suffer from such an issue though.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-26-2014 at 11:26 PM.