Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Definately ugly but it is a tool of utility (and a beast at it) not beauty!

If someone gave me one I wouldn't screw my nose up at it.

02-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I look at it this way: When a picture is hanging on the wall nobody even remotely cares about what the camera looked like that took it. Just as nobody cares what the tools looked like that built their beautiful new bathroom.
02-20-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Hey, that's my line. And I'll add that when a picture is hanging on a wall nobody sees or cares how easy and convenient the camera was for you to use either. People get pretty emotional about cameras. Some even say they need that for the inspiration to go out and shoot. What about the corporate photographer that gets handed a camera purchased by the company and given an assignment. They just have to suck it up, learn the camera and use it if it's not "their brand". It's a tool then by gosh.
02-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I havent actually used a camera with one but it looks pretty damn awkward to hold.
It depends on the camera and lens. There are some I prefer to use with a grip, simply because it makes the weight feel better distributed.

02-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Does look ugly to me but of course that's just a subjective thing. I don't think I'd pass a good camera just because it looks ugly but it would still bother me.

I tend to like things of which their form is shaped by function, or at least appears to even if it doesn't really. I particularly dislike blobby looking things. There are things which for which curves are appropriate but I can't think of anything that looks good in such a blobby form.
02-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #21

I, for one, feel that Nikons are some of the best looking cameras on the market! I own three different Nikons and find them all very visually appealing, now if we want to talk ugly have a look at Canons offerings...
02-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I actually prefer the "look" of Canon's cameras over Nikon. Regardless, these are tools made for professionals. Function over form.

02-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #23
Banned

The Canon 1D x does not look that much different.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Canon 1D x does not look that much different.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
The Canon is inflated a few more PSI than the Nikon, making it rounder and slightly larger.

I wonder, if you let the air out does it become a compact P&S?
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go into the Nikon forums and see the raves about the handling of the D3, D3s and D4. It's a very mature, proven design and layout. It might seem strange to you, or unappealing cosmetically, but folks who are the target market for these cameras are about the function not how it looks.
02-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...plus, if someone were to try and take it away from you, you could bludgeon them with the camera without causing it any harm...

;-)
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first impression is of a fat black pumpkin...that's what popped into my head at first sight.
Second thought was of that old commercial from that chicken selling guy from Pilgrim's Pride that said "I will not sell a fat yellow chicken".

If he ever gets a batch of fat yellow chickens, he can put a Nikon label on them and they will apparently sell well to the Nikon crowd?

Regards!

BTW: I admit to being one that wants a good looking camera. If I am going to carry it around with me, I want it to look trim and sharp. Nothing says a well functioning camera has to look like a blob of molded plastic.
I also never wanted a wife that could cook like a master chef, but looked like a fat yellow chicken!
Mrs Rupert still looks great, and still burns toast...but can make a fine bowl of Ramen noodle soup....if the directions are on the package!

This camera can go anywhere I go......

Mrs Rupert can go too! If you get one you like, you may keep it a long time.......She's been around going on 50 years, and at age 68 she still works for me! Sure, she never got to be FF, but I am glad she didn't !

02-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Looks more or less like every other digital-era pro body to me...
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Form should (and usually does) follow function with regard to professional tools. Features to make it easier to use common functions and logical placement of controls eventually dictate the overall shape and size of a camera like this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for the professional who needs this tool, they don't really care about the look at all.
02-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #30

Say what you want, I love the look of Nikons!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo