Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The new MFD CMOS sensor. I assume that "each pixel has its own shutter speed" thing will make it to smaller sensors soon. PhaseOne is advertising only 1 stop of DR difference between ISO 100 and ISO 6400. That is a big jump compared to today. I'm looking forward to more DR at higher ISO than less noise thing by far.
We'll see. I would be less surprised to see better performance at low isos, than to see a jump of a two stops with regard to high iso performance.

04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what, these high ISO are useless.

Theyr far from noiseless. noise free images will be in the ISO 100 to ISO 6400 if your lucky. Get real guys, look at what they claimed with the D3 and D4 and look at what you got. luminance noise and chroma noise above 3200 with the D3 and above 6400 with the D4.

Ok the noise is low and I would accept images very much higher than ISO 6400, but claiming theyr noise free? no way.
04-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony A7s just joined the ring with ISO range 50-409600. I really hope Pentax uses this sensor in a FF offering.
04-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

You can create as any of these spotty lumps of porridge as you like, but only one question has any real value in my mind.

Whether it be at ISO64,000 ISO200,000 or ISO1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Will a client give you any money for one of these horrendous things when you try and sell it him

That's the real ISO limit on a sensor, the client hand in the pocket cash flow limit.

04-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Sony A7s just joined the ring with ISO range 50-409600. I really hope Pentax uses this sensor in a FF offering.
D4s vs A7s :

04-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
D4s vs A7s :

Which one would you want to mount large telephoto and zooms lenses on and shoot sports for a living? Clearly, a small camera is not the ideal size for everything.
04-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Which one would you want to mount large telephoto and zooms lenses on and shoot sports for a living? Clearly, a small camera is not the ideal size for everything.
Name me one person on this forum that does that.

04-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Name me one person on this forum that does that.
Nikon/Canon should not make a professional sports cameras because no one on this Pentax forum has one? The impression I get when you post these size comparisons is that the small camera is the superior camera because it is small.
04-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I will leap to the defence of jogiba here even though I disagree with some of the things he has said.

Take a look at the Nikon DF. compare that jewel of a camera with the D4 or D4s

I personally think I don't need the massive bulk or weight of a D4, the DF seems to do everything I want but in a smaller package and this is where jo is going with this.

Stick a big zoom on it and you hold the entire kit by the zoom anyway but its lighter and more handleable.

Sure the D4 or D4s has some advantages, but I prefer the more compact size. So jo has a point about size.

I also have a suspicion he posts comparisons for valid reasons, to expose the lightweight option, if I wanted a street tool or a second body a considerably smaller camera would make a lot of sense.
04-13-2014, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
I will leap to the defence of jogiba here even though I disagree with some of the things he has said.

I personally think I don't need the massive bulk or weight of a D4, the DF seems to do everything I want but in a smaller package and this is where jo is going with this.

Stick a big zoom on it and you hold the entire kit by the zoom anyway but its lighter and more handleable.

Sure the D4 or D4s has some advantages, but I prefer the more compact size. So jo has a point about size.

I also have a suspicion he posts comparisons for valid reasons, to expose the lightweight option, if I wanted a street tool or a second body a considerably smaller camera would make a lot of sense.
Just to put my 2 cents in... You don't have to be a sports shooter or use huge lenses to see ergonomic benefit of a slight larger body with comfortable grip. I haven't used the A7, so I wouldn't venture to comment on how comfortable to use that is. But, shooting 8 hours at a wedding with 16-50/50-135 on camera, it is nice to have a camera that is comfortable.

I like the K5/K3 size with the grip, which is pretty good sized, but you actually get less tired with that than you would with, say, a K30 or kx sized body without a grip.
04-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm not saying smaller bodies suck. Overall they are a welcome relief. But the right tool for the right job kind of thing. In general, these smaller bodies are great if you shoot with lenses less than about 600g of mass I'd venture to say.
04-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #42
Forum Member

The A7R is about the same size, and probably weight, as my ME Super... which I shoot with my M80-200 a lot... I hold both the camera and the lens, doesn't bother me...

Of course, you have to hold on to that lens anyway, as it's prone to some zoom creep.
04-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Sure, but take a look at the market the D4s is aimed at: it's not people who are considering a camera for their vacation (), it's not the street shooters. The only spot where the A7S and D4s really overlap is in that they're both being aggressively touted for their high ISO. Other than that they're intended for completely different markets, ones where swapping one camera for the other* is probably not going to do the job, and a simple size comparison ignores all this context to suggest that they are otherwise equivalent.

* And before anyone suggests that I'm just trashing Sony, this sentence can be read either way: swapping the D4s with the A7S or the A7S with the D4s. Neither is likely, based on the specs we've seen so far, to perform up to par in the other's primary intended use.
04-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
The A7R is about the same size, and probably weight, as my ME Super... which I shoot with my M80-200 a lot...
You mean the 550g f4.5 zoom. That one? Today something like the 70-200 f2.8 VRII frequently used for action photography on a Nikon is around 1540 grams of mass.
04-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #45
Forum Member

Yep, and so, like I said, you hold both the camera and the lens at the same time. I don't see the problem?

Plus, there is always this, to add a bit of heft, if the camera's small size and weight really is that much of a problem to you...