Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #16

Not much sense in this...

JHD I think your point is wrong... or I am not sure what it is. The GM1 *with* the pancake lens is *small*... it is in fact VERY TINY. Of course, if you want a different camera, the GM1 will not suit you... or if you attach a large zoom to the GM1, it will no longer be tiny. The discussion was about a replacement for the LX7 as a take everywhere pocketable camera. My conclusion is that if this is your requirement, the GM1 fits it the best *with* the kit 12-32mm lens. The LX7 has some specifics that the GM1 is very close to.

If I want better ergonomics, I'll take out my K5IIs with a tripod and a set of primes. If I have to climb a vertical rock wall, I will probably take the GM1... or rather I would take the previous set, a good pack and climb carefully. For me the GM1 is the camera for discreete situations... try walking around at night in some foreign country and showing off expensive gear in back streets... see how long you last Used well the GM1 will produce top quality results.

If you do not need the stabilisation and a zoom lens, I agree the GR is a good choice for a compact camera.

04-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I looked at the GM1 before buying the GR. Ergonomics on the GM1 are horrible--BIG turn off. Attach a lens to it and the little camera ain't so little anymore. A GR is far more pocketable, complete with a much bigger and better sensor. The lens alone is worth the price of the camera.
It looks small to me with lens.

QuoteQuote:
Panasonic have chosen not to remove very much from the GX7 and GH3 in creating the GM1 and itís paid off, for this is an excellent camera in its own right for shooting high quality video and stills. Itís a great alternative to the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for those who want a larger sensor and smaller file sizes. The new Panasonic sensor is also excellent and a significant improvement on the GH3′s Sony sensor in low light. Unlike a compact camera such as the RX100 you can choose to pair the GM1 with a larger fast aperture prime, or pair it down to a tiny Olympus fast prime like the 45mm F1.8.

The GM1 is the first compact with a F0.95 lens if you fit a Speed Booster or Voigltander / SLR Magic F0.95 lens to it. Even with these lenses it remains jacket pocketable.

The 0.71x Metabones Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds on this camera will give you a field of view just a bit wider than APS-C and Super 35mm, whilst gaining you another 1 stop of low light performance. The Contax Zeiss 50mm F1.4 goes well with the Speed Booster on this camera and it remains jacket pocketable.

Itís a unique camera.
Panasonic GM1 review Ė another pocket cinema camera | EOSHD.com
04-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. Small cameras, while convenient to carry, can be difficult to use due to their size. My LF1 is a very capable camera but difficult to operate due to small buttons, controls, etc. and totally impossible with gloves on. In contrast, I can operate my K10D with ski gloves. The smaller K5, I can operate most of it with gloves but have to take them off to adjust the mode dial. With the LF1, I can't take a pic with gloves on. These are things anybody needs to address when considering a small camera. Since my LF1 will reside in my shirt pocket on summer motorcycle rides and at the beach, fishing, etc, the ability to operate the camera with gloves isn't an issue.