Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Panasonic LX7 - Successor?

I'm after a "second" camera to go along with my K3 for when I don't need to take the big guns. I've been using an LX3 for years and love it but time for an upgrade I think.
I'm naturally drawn to the LX7 but that is nearing 2 years old so I'm hesitant to purchase if an LX9(?) is round the corner.
Anyone heard anything?

Thanks,
Mark

02-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Banned

The LX3 came out in 2008 so that is almost 6 years. How about the LX7 for $299 ? The LX9 should be out this summer.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3: Digital Photography Review
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Digital Camera (Black) DMC-LX7K B&H
02-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I've used the LX-7 and it is a good camera, but clearly still a point-and-shoot. It is probably an upgrade over the LX-3, though, but I think there are better options now.

The Sony RX100 (or RX100 II) are pretty much the top selections in that class, offering a much larger sensor while still providing a bright lens. The RX100 is regularly found for $400 new and would be my choice in that range.

Maybe the LX-9 will give the Sony a run for its money.
02-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd be really tempted by this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/253227-sal...film-x100.html

02-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
Ideally I want something with a fixed lens of high quality which is nice and wide and fast and I can slip it into my Jacket pocket. The Sony certainly does get good reviews and at the moment it is proving to be a very tempting choice although in the UK the cheapest I've seen it is £300, which is about £100 more than the LX7 is currently selling for, and it's lens is neither as wide or as fast as the LX7. The Fuji is too expensive.
Would really like to see what Panasonic do with the LX9 but not sure I can wait till Summer. Decisions, decisions......
02-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I too have owned the LX3 for the last 4-5 years. Great little camera, but my money would be in the RX100 without a moment's hesitation. It is simply miles ahead of all others.

Another thing to consider is the NEX3n with the pancake 16-50 zoom. It really is very small and has a wonderful sensor. Price between the two is very similar, if not less for the NEX.

Jason
02-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I too have owned the LX3 for the last 4-5 years. Great little camera, but my money would be in the RX100 without a moment's hesitation. It is simply miles ahead of all others.

Another thing to consider is the NEX3n with the pancake 16-50 zoom. It really is very small and has a wonderful sensor. Price between the two is very similar, if not less for the NEX.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I'm really starting to look hard at the RX100 now, although the fact it's already been replaced with the RX100 II makes me inclined to look at the newer model, but then my budget starts to go up quite a bit (doesn't it always!!)

03-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
Thanks Jason, I'm really starting to look hard at the RX100 now, although the fact it's already been replaced with the RX100 II makes me inclined to look at the newer model, but then my budget starts to go up quite a bit (doesn't it always!!)
I would get the second model for the tilt screen.

I had the original RX100, and it was a great pocket camera, and man was its lens sharp...but it was not without its faults. I think my biggest complaint was how small the aperture was at its telephoto length. You can mitigate by bumping up the ISO, and with a 1" sensor, you do get less noise than a PnS with a 1/1/7" sensor. But still, there were many occassions where I was disappointed by that.
03-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That sounds like a Ricoh GR
Does fixed lens mean non-interchangeable or fixed prime?
Not being facetious, just wondering the OPs intention.
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX-1 is a steal at them moment and has better IQ than the LX3,5,7, but doesn't have 24mm if that is important to you.

I do like the LX line a lot and would wait to see what the LX9 brings. I'm expecting either an efv or a larger sensor, both would make it a no brainer assuming they keep the other good things about that camera.

I have an RX100 I'm going to sell because I don't like using it. IQ be damned, sometimes usability trumps.
04-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #11

Look into Pentax GM1

... it is a mirrorless, but with the kit lens it is lighter than the LX7 I believe and contains a micro four thirds sensor. The problem is that the lens is relatively slow compared to the LX7... but it is of good quality according to reviews I suggest against the RX100 as Sony is not good in supporting HDR or bracketing (but check on status of this for the model you want)... plus the GM1 has a larger sensor and if you get bored, you can switch the lens. The problem with the Panasonic Lumix GM1 is that it has no in body stabilisation - you need lenses with it unless you use it on a tripod.

I am looking at this for the same reason, as a back up camera, and after having oscillated every which way, I think I will get the GM1... IF a stabilised fast pancake prime is released for it. Otherwise I am waiting for the LX9... if it ever appears (I have my doubts that a LX9 with a larger sensor and fast lens is possible).

If you are not attached to totally portable and budget is not a limit, check out the Olympus E-M1 and Fuji X-T1 as backup cameras.
04-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I seriously looked at the LX 7 last winter when I was looking for something small, an "always with me" camera. I ended up with the LF 1 instead because of it's larger zoom range and smaller size. It is truly pocketable and has a built in viewfinder which is an add on option with the LX 7. The price is right however. If an LX9 is around the corner, it will likely be twice the current price of the LX7.
04-17-2014, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob01 Quote
... it is a mirrorless, but with the kit lens it is lighter than the LX7 I believe and contains a micro four thirds sensor. The problem is that the lens is relatively slow compared to the LX7... but it is of good quality according to reviews I suggest against the RX100 as Sony is not good in supporting HDR or bracketing (but check on status of this for the model you want)... plus the GM1 has a larger sensor and if you get bored, you can switch the lens. The problem with the Panasonic Lumix GM1 is that it has no in body stabilisation - you need lenses with it unless you use it on a tripod.

I am looking at this for the same reason, as a back up camera, and after having oscillated every which way, I think I will get the GM1... IF a stabilised fast pancake prime is released for it. Otherwise I am waiting for the LX9... if it ever appears (I have my doubts that a LX9 with a larger sensor and fast lens is possible).

If you are not attached to totally portable and budget is not a limit, check out the Olympus E-M1 and Fuji X-T1 as backup cameras.
LX7 vs GM1 :

04-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #14

Don't forget the lens...

... in the size comparison between the LX7 and GM1. The pancake lens is tiny but will add a little depth to the quoted size.

Nice comparison tool though ... it shows how small GM1 is and why it probably makes no sense to release an LX9. The Lumix GM1 has pretty much replaced it.

Plus the lowest price without shipping I have found for the GM1 is equivalent to US $545 (including the 12-32 mm pancake lens I am talking about).
04-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I looked at the GM1 before buying the GR. Ergonomics on the GM1 are horrible--BIG turn off. Attach a lens to it and the little camera ain't so little anymore. A GR is far more pocketable, complete with a much bigger and better sensor. The lens alone is worth the price of the camera.