Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Battery for Sears TLS 35mm film camera

Does anybody know what kind/type of battery does a Sears TLS 35mm Film camera use?
I read that a Durecell 625a Battery will be a good fit for it, but am unsure if it is or not.
If anybody can help, thanks in advance

03-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will fit, but it won't be accurate. the voltage isn't stable through the whole life of the battery with alkaline batteries. They work in some cameras with voltage regulating cells, but will give erratic readings on cameras without them.

You can use the Zinc-Air batteries, which are a good replacement for the Mercury ones they used to take, but have a very short life.

The other thing you can do is use one of the Silver Oxide batteries. They're not too expensive, and have stable voltage through their life. They're a bit different voltage than the old batteries, so you'll have to compare it against a working meter, and make any necessary corrections (you can do this by changing the ASA. For example, my old Russian camera with a silver battery needs the ASA set at 125 to give correct readings for 100 speed film, 64 for 50, etc.)
03-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Would you recommend any specific battery/brand in particular?

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 01:56 PM ----------

Would this be a good choice?

Ultralast Size-675 Hearing Aid Batteries (6-Pack) : Hearing Aid Batteries | RadioShack.com
03-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those would be perfect. Keep the tabs on 'em in storage, and don't pull 'em off until you're ready to use them. They should last a couple months in the camera, regardless of usage, as they degrade pretty quickly on their own.

03-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the similar Ricoh Singlex TLS* and use the C.R.I.S. MR-9 adapter with available silver cells.

MR-9 Mercury Battery Adapter

Note that there are various eBay vendors that sell "MR-9" adapters, but most are just a metal shell. The real thing is made in Japan (Kanto Camera Service brand**, I believe) and uses a diode for voltage step-down. There is also a Thai-made product, but I have no experience as to whether they are any good. The MR-9 also fits my Minolta SRT-101 and several other vintage cameras. The hearing aid batteries are another option if you are a frequent shooter, but once opened, lifetime is measured in days regardless of how much the camera is used.

Steve

* The Sears TLS is the Ricoh product with a different top plate. Other than that, the two cameras are identical.

* Can buy direct from Kanto: http://www.kanto-cs.co.jp/english/adapter/adapter_en.html

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-03-2014 at 01:40 PM.
03-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not going to really shoot that much with it. Had to get a film camera for my photography class, and ended up getting the Sears TLS because it was in my price range.