Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider it a bonus. That 1.4 lens + the leak means you have a slightly faster lens. I keep hearing that any lens will work great on this camera, maybe it's the leak.

03-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Obviously, we're not talking about the light-tightness of the lens mount alone.
In my experience, it tends to be a loose film back, sometimes viewfinder.

Although, light leaks through the mount appear to be quite common for Leica digital bodies at around the 2-3 o'clock position. Apparently reported on M8, M9 and M 240 according to some threads. Leica doesn't seem to think it's worth "fixing", or maybe they think it's a "feature" :-)
03-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
but never to 25,600
Indeed, but the video that Tuco linked to above shows the leak at ISO 1600 with studio strob illumination a couple of feet distant from the camera. That is a reasonable real-world situation.

Steve
03-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Does the video represent a "reasonable real-world situation"?

This is what the creator of the video (Ferrell McCollough) has to say:
QuoteQuote:
This video is about Sony A7r Light Leak. Revealing the light leak in the studio was a fairly easy task because I know where the problem is. Causing the light leak requires a fairly specific arrangement of the strobe and camera. Most studio shooting does not involve placing the camera near and in the spill of light

03-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Consider it a bonus. That 1.4 lens + the leak means you have a slightly faster lens. I keep hearing that any lens will work great on this camera, maybe it's the leak.
Do you get your cookies when making posts like that ?
03-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps with your film cameras.

I have owned several over the last 45 years and currently own about a dozen film bodies and have never had film fogged due to light leaks except for my FED-2 and with the FED-2 it happens at exposure time from a point near the rangefinder window and then only from full sun late in the day from the upper right quandrant. I suspect that the reason the FED leaks light is that it is descended from cameras that were Leica copies.

Steve

(...light leak through the lens mount flange? Give me a break. It would be a crime on a K-500 at discount. The price of the a7R (or Leica) merely adds injury to insult...)
This is the issue to me. It is poor engineering to have this on any camera, but particularly on 2000 dollar plus camera it is rough. Probably Sony will just release a firmware that doesn't allow long exposures that might produce such a leak.
03-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is the issue to me. It is poor engineering to have this on any camera, but particularly on 2000 dollar plus camera it is rough. Probably Sony will just release a firmware that doesn't allow long exposures that might produce such a leak.
The Canon 5D Mark III and Nikon D800E DSLRs with light leak cost even more.

"And for you Fanboys who just can’t wait to Sony bash over this odd little issue, let he whose camera is without light leak cast the first stone. Because, so far the same problem has been found with Canon, Nikon, and Fuji cameras. I assume a similar solution will work just fine for those, too."
LensRentals.com - The Sky is Falling and the Light is Leaking: the A7r Anti-Massacree

Canon 5D Mark III, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

Nikon D800E, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

03-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

LOL@ "The sky is falling and the light is leaking."

Why do people hate Sony so much anyway, even though there's a little bit of Sony in most cameras? Is Sony seen as a threat or something?
03-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

Why do people hate Sony so much anyway, even though there's a little bit of Sony in most cameras? Is Sony seen as a threat or something?
Ever been stuck in a room of grown adults who use those Playconsole things going on about playing games?

The homicidal anger inducing irritation of that?

That's why.

I'm sure their cameras are very good.
03-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #40
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
"We did a quick 'stress test' experiment, pitting the A7 against high-end full-frame DSLR competition from the Nikon D800E and the Canon 5D Mark III at the somewhat ludicrous settings of 30 seconds at ISO 25,600. Both cameras exhibited terrible light leaks until we used optical viewfinder covers/shutters (no surprise) and further, also taped over the lens caps and optical viewfinders"
Sony A7 light leak, round II of III - Results of direct-sun test suggest more testing needed…

no leaky optical viewfinder on the a7/a7r/a6000 sounds like an improvement to me.
03-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

Sony hasn't exactly engendered good will over the years. From their proprietary components to the root kit fiasco, they do what is best for Sony and only address it after the back lash.

They do have nice sensors, although Toshiba seems to be equivalent at this point from an APS-C stand point.
03-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Ever been stuck in a room of grown adults who use those Playconsole things going on about playing games?

The homicidal anger inducing irritation of that?

That's why.

I'm sure their cameras are very good.
I know what you mean! Also a bit like the PC/MAC and IOS/Android discussions. Those tend to get heated also.

I think it has something to do with spending savings on the one system and then seeying other system(s) advancing.
03-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I enjoy reading the posts here.....but in the scope of things big and small, this is hardly worth comment....even if I owned a Sony. I don't know why we do this stuff, but we do. After years of practice and struggle, I still find that the weakest link in any camera I have owned has always been me. It would be nice to blame it on the cameras...maybe that is why we do this...but reality says differently.

Regards!
03-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Does the video represent a "reasonable real-world situation"?

This is what the creator of the video (Ferrell McCollough) has to say:
I would be interested in seeing full sun on the same spot using an exposure time similar to those used with a 9-stop ND filter. That is a reasonable real-world scenario for landscape photographers.* I would do it, but I don't own the Sony. I know it is not a problem with the K10D or K20D Pentax. Oh, BTW, I am not a Pentax fan-boy and am actually considering purchase of the Sony. I do, however know where the quality points are for camera construction and any lapse in machining and mechanical tolerance in the mount, chassis, or shutter/sensor alignment is evidence of sloppy manufacturing and inadequate quality control. In these days of precision dies and and robotic construction, what is good for Holga does not have to be acceptable for Sony, Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Leica or any other maker that makes claims of quality construction. Does anyone really need to say more?

Steve

* See real-world-in-the-field example from Graham Clark that happened during a shoot of the Golden Gate (example photo including full resolution crops): http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/sony-a7r-field-notes-with-canon-ef-lenses/. Note that this happened with an adapted Canon lens and may be the fault of the Metabones adapter.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-13-2014 at 11:19 PM.
03-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #45
bvg
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If that is a problem for a7, than a7 has a crazy dynamic range!