Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Serious problem detected with Sony A7/A7r : light leak

On this site Sony A7, A7r Have Light Leak Problems. Here?s How to Fix It - The Phoblographer a serious problem is reported with the Sony full frame flagship A7/A7r. It is light leak between mount and lens so it will not be an easy software fix.

03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:

I have been using a full spectrum A7R for astrophotography with no noticeable "light leak" problems. I've created a darks library with 25 subs each at 1, 2, 5, 10 & 20 minutes with no problems. I used a black body cap on the A7R while shooting the darks. I NEVER shoot darks with a lens in place since a lot of lenses have internal LED's that can leak light into the light path (on Canon lenses the LED is used in conjunction w/ the autofocus mechanism). A list of reported problem lenses can be found on the Yahoo DSLR Modifications forum.

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist; however, I have never encountered it, even with LONG exposures
A7/A7R Light leaks - Page 12 - Sony's Community Site

QuoteQuote:
I can confirm there is a small light leak on my A7r, but only under the following conditions:

1. Exposure time 30 seconds
2. ISO 25600
3. Bright LED torch shining directly onto 3 o'clock position on mount.

The leak can be plugged by shielding the mount with either tape, or cloth or simply using the hand/fingers. Probably unlikely to surface in "normal" shooting conditions, unless you happen to take lots of night sky long exposures and there is a lot of ambient light hitting the side of the camera.

On the other hand, I don't experience the "sensor reflection" issue on my A7r, so maybe it's an A7 vs A7r thing. I have, however, seen similar issues on my NEX6 (but only when I recover shadow details around a bright light source).

There is a theory that the reflection is due to the the array of PDAF sensors which may explain why I don't see it on my A7r but sees it on the NEX6. If that is the case, it may affect the A6000 as well.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/241...ml#post2703768

It looks like under normal daylight conditions it does not look like a serious problem unless you shoot in direct sunlight with a 30 second exposure @ 25600 iso that will be too far overexposed.
03-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Light leaks, internal sensor reflections, flare in night shots ...
time for a Nikon D600 style class action lawsuit.
03-06-2014, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Light leaks, internal sensor reflections, flare in night shots ...
time for a Nikon D600 style class action lawsuit.
Or perhaps owners are more relaxed about these than you may think.

Now, if only we can learn how to focus our cameras properly

03-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Banned

Canon 5D MKIII and Nikon D800E light leak problems !

QuoteQuote:
Drawing it together, is a light leak of the sort seen in the A7 in any way unusual? Absolutely not. The best Canon and Nikon models exhibit similar behavior. While a perfect camera might block every last photon, the tolerances required of lens and flange make this exceedingly difficult.
Do concerns about Sony A7 light leaks hold water?

Canon 5D Mark III, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

Nikon D800E, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

50 pack of black rubber bands $3.25 !
https://blackrubberbands.com/product/50-pack-64-black-rubber-bands/

Last edited by jogiba; 03-08-2014 at 06:25 AM.
03-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And now the Fuji X-T1 also has a light leak, it's becoming fashionable:
Sony A7-A7r and Fuji X-T1 have a light leak issue (Both can be solved). | Mirrorless Rumors

I wonder when Pentax owners will start demanding that their cameras have leaks.
03-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting. I tried replicating the "issue" with my K-5IIs, first with my phone's flashlight then, thinking that it's too weak, by triggering a Metz flash near the mount (not a studio one, though).
No black tape (I just put the viewfinder cap on), the lens wasn't weathersealed so no O-ring around the mount (it's the 35mm Limited by the way), 30" exposure and ISO25600. Quite a bit of noise, but...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Is this problem really a problem in real use??

Personally, I'd say its a nit-pick issue....
03-11-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If it requires a 30" exposure at ISO25600 in strong light, I'd say no.
Though, the last video tells a different story; then there's the "squishy" mount thing. It appears Sony had to cut some corners in order to make a cheaper product.
03-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If it requires a 30" exposure at ISO25600 in strong light, I'd say no.
Though, the last video tells a different story; then there's the "squishy" mount thing. It appears Sony had to cut some corners in order to make a cheaper product.
Your anti Sony posts are just too funny.
03-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same thing is being reported (at DPR) in the new Fuji X-T1.......light coming in at the focus lamp. This is reported as most noticeable when directly shooting the initial light burst of a nuclear explosion, but a few report that it can occur during 30 second exposures of an industrial LED being pointed directly at the camera.
Like with the Sony, if you photograph nuclear explosions or industrial lighting at arms length, this could be a deal breaker.

For others that just take "normal" photos and don't spend all their time "looking for problems", it seems to be unnoticeable?

Regards!
03-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Your anti Sony posts are just too funny.
Look who's talking

Rupert, wasn't it through the connectors area? So you'd have to open the port cover and shine a torch through it.
If that doesn't work, I suggest drilling a hole
03-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't get why this is suddenly a problem. We've been walking around with viewfinder covers in our camera bags, to cover the giant light leak on top of our DSLRs, for years. That viewfinder cover doesn't cut it either when you hold a giant torch against it, btw.

Seriously, is this all they can find? Woa, that A7/r sure is awesome!
03-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Do concerns about Sony A7 light leaks hold water?

Canon 5D Mark III, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

Nikon D800E, 30 seconds, ISO 25,600, sunlight. Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

50 pack of black rubber bands $3.25 !
https://blackrubberbands.com/product/50-pack-64-black-rubber-bands/
I would be curious to see if WR Pentax lenses on a Pentax have the same problem.

Edit: Apparently not (see below) and without even a WR lens!

Steve

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting. I tried replicating the "issue" with my K-5IIs, first with my phone's flashlight then, thinking that it's too weak, by triggering a Metz flash near the mount (not a studio one, though).
No black tape (I just put the viewfinder cap on), the lens wasn't weathersealed so no O-ring around the mount (it's the 35mm Limited by the way), 30" exposure and ISO25600. Quite a bit of noise, but...
No light leak! Canon and Nikon have light leak! Pentax is DOOMED!!!

Steve

---------- Post added 03-11-14 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Same thing is being reported (at DPR) in the new Fuji X-T1.......light coming in at the focus lamp.
If my FED-2 can have light leaks, so can the Fuji. Light leaks for all, I say!

Steve
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If my FED-2 can have light leaks, so can the Fuji. Light leaks for all, I say!
I spent good money on this camera, and it doesn't even have all the features of a Holga? What a rip off!