Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It seems many here need to stick with fully automatic cameras and let the experienced users work with manual lenses on full frame cameras were they don't have a problem and Ricoh needs to build a full frame camera with green button for the inexperienced users here.

Interesting take on A7 manual focus from the review on this site

Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass - Performance / Handling of Pentax K-mount Lenses - PentaxForums.com

"While the image quality is not the issue, manual focusing on the A7 is the Achilles heel of using this camera in connection with Pentax lenses.
  • Even with focus peaking, depending on the brightness of the scene, it can be difficult to impossible to achieve spot-on focus
  • Focus peaking is overly optimistic as to what is in focus
  • It is not possible to focus manually with any accuracy if focus peaking is deactivated"

I don't think people need AF and a green button. This camera is nothing special, plain and simple and folks are starting to notice. So many in the mirrorless world had high hopes because of the lower cost and size compared to regular dslr cameras.

And yes, I know. Sony has a camera with the world's fastest AF, so I don't need the link. Unless you are a Sony Ambassador of links, then feel free.

This business of trying to convince everyone that the A7 is a world beater is getting old. If it rocks your world, great. If it doesn't rock someone else's, that's great too. We don't have to all own the same camera and lenses.

Last edited by RyanW; 03-11-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: cleaned up double post
03-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Soon, Only Not Yet.
03-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote

Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass - Performance / Handling of Pentax K-mount Lenses - PentaxForums.com

"While the image quality is not the issue, manual focusing on the A7 is the Achilles heel of using this camera in connection with Pentax lenses.
  • Even with focus peaking, depending on the brightness of the scene, it can be difficult to impossible to achieve spot-on focus
  • It is not possible to focus manually with any accuracy if focus peaking is deactivated"

I don't think people need AF and a green button. This camera is nothing special, plain and simple and folks are starting to notice. So many in the mirrorless world had high hopes because of the lower cost and size compared to regular dslr cameras.

And yes, I know. Sony has a camera with the world's fastest AF, so I don't need the link. Unless you are a Sony Ambassador of links, then feel free.

This business of trying to convince everyone that the A7 is a world beater is getting old. If it rocks your world, great. If it doesn't rock someone else's, that's great too. We don't have to all own the same camera and lenses.

I am glad I have the full frame Sony VG900 instead of A7/A7r since I never had a problem with my manual focus lenses getting focus spot on using the 4x expanded focus button and adjustable angled OLED EVF .
03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And that has what to do with discussion of the A7/A7R? Oh wait, I know the answer to that one already.

03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
Banned

How to manual focus the Sony A7r with manual focus lenses

03-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh Good Grief.

boriscleto™

Last edited by monochrome; 03-11-2014 at 04:15 PM.
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh Good Grief. Worse than me.

boriscleto™
I think you are asking too many leading questions of the witness...

03-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I'm no Sony lover nor Pentax hater and I have an A7.
Its certainly not as bad as the PF article says it is.
In fact, those items listed except the focus peaking part are issues even with a good focusing screen (and I've had a 5D with EES precision screen before)

>> Quite ok and rather similar to a good focusing screen on OVF, which can be hard to nail focus too depending on conditions.
    >> Its an 'aid' and in more DOF situations where contrast is adequate, it works rather fine. So the user needs to be aware of the situations where its good and those where its better to use it as a guide and follow up with magnification.
    We can also replace the text 'focus peaking' with 'focus confirmation' and yeah... they are almost the same in accuracy and quirkyness
    >> Not true at all. As good as a good precision focusing screen. Follow up with magnification for very good accuracy.

We need to remember that we are talking MF here and its as dependent on the user as the camera.
The A7 does fine with MF.
In fact, with peaking+high res EVF+magnification, its one of the best out there for MF lenses, imo.

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-11-2014 at 10:14 PM.
03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
like the fact that any DSLR lens works with the A7r.
Define "works"...

Steve
03-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Define "works"...

Steve
My favorite Pentax lens for my full frame VG900 is the Pentax 50mm F1.4 and it's much more easy to use than the film days with match needle metering.

03-12-2014, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #41
osv
Veteran Member

the magnify function is more accurate than focus peaking, but as you can see, adam never even tried it.

don't quote a bogus review as if it was fact.

fyi, that magnify functionality will give you better focus accuracy than anything that pentax has ever put on the market.

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 08:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Don't really understand how Panasonic came into the discussion, nor the 645D.
Don't understand how shooting video came into the discussion either.
i suspect that multiple people in this thread are comparing different technologies?

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Sony could've had 14-bit lossless RAW which wouldve resulted in higher IQ files, but they didn't, why not?
pentax could have given us a full-frame sensor years ago, but they didn't, why not?

"The Sony A7R is in a totally different league in regards to dynamic range at base ISO 100. This image reveals the exceptional signal to noise ratio and high IQ RAW performance.

It's no secret that the Canon 5D Mark III does not have the cleanest shadows at base ISO. Canon shooters have adapted to its shortcomings by bracketing and exposing images to the right (ETTR). It's usually unnoticeable in good light if you don't start playing with the shadows too much in post. But, even perfectly exposed shots in high contrast lighting will have color and luma noise in the shadows when pushed one or two stops. To make matters worse, you might even find some banding or visible horizontal and vertical line patterns."
Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

pentax could have given us a full-frame sensor years ago, but they didn't, why not?
I don't know...they should have.
I am not a fan boy, i am able to criticize both Pentax and Sony. Neither company sends me a check so I feel loyalty to neither.
03-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #43
Pentaxian

the magnify function is more accurate than focus peaking, but as you can see, adam never even tried it.
Perhaps because that is only useful for still life type shots. I can't imagine using that focus feature on subjects that are moving around especially coming at you or moving away. I rarely used it when I had a mirrorless with that feature anyway but of course that was just me and YMMV.
03-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Sorry about that. Clearly they should put a big "BOGUS" watermark over the review so I and others are not tempted to be persuaded by it.

@Stevebrot This is what I have gathered "works" means after reading a bunch of different review. (Some bogus, some not)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/254...ml#post2736848
03-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

fyi, that magnify functionality will give you better focus accuracy than anything that pentax has ever put on the market.

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 08:28 AM ----------

i suspect that multiple people in this thread are comparing different technologies?

"The Sony A7R is in a totally different league in regards to dynamic range at base ISO 100. This image reveals the exceptional signal to noise ratio and high IQ RAW performance.

It's no secret that the Canon 5D Mark III does not have the cleanest shadows at base ISO. Canon shooters have adapted to its shortcomings by bracketing and exposing images to the right (ETTR). It's usually unnoticeable in good light if you don't start playing with the shadows too much in post. But, even perfectly exposed shots in high contrast lighting will have color and luma noise in the shadows when pushed one or two stops. To make matters worse, you might even find some banding or visible horizontal and vertical line patterns."
Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass
Pentax hasn't been "Pentax" since the Hoya take over. Certainly there was no chance under Hoya of full frame coming, probably would have come out already if there hadn't been a take over (if they had not gone belly up). On the other hand, Ricoh seems to be making real investments and I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a full frame SLR this year.

The A7R is basically a D800e in a different skin, with slightly worse overall performance with regard to frame rate, auto focus. I would prefer the D800, but I could understand someone want the A7r as well. I certainly wouldn't buy one though, just to mount k mount glass on it,.