Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon Asked to Halt All D600 Sales in China After Scathing Nationally Televised Expos

03-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Where were they when all those Pentax SDM lenses were failing?

Regards!
03-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to hear one more word of complaining about Ricoh waiting until a certain product is perfect before they introduce it.

Period.
03-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't want to hear one more word of complaining about Ricoh waiting until a certain product is perfect before they introduce it.

Period.
Good luck with that.

03-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Any such class action lawsuit or en masse recall would be the death knell for a small player like Pentax.
03-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Period.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good luck with that.
As Mick said, "You can't always get what you want" . . . . or don't want
03-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Period.
Perfection is fine... and waiting for it sometimes is OK as well... but not a lifetime
Ops... I failed your quest

03-19-2014, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Class-Action Suit

Nikon fell 1.7 percent to 1,730 yen at the close of trading in Tokyo, extending this year’s decline to 14 percent.

Today’s order to halt sales came from the Shanghai Administration for Industry and Commerce, Satake said. While Nikon has already stopped direct sales of the D600, some dealers still have the model in stock, and Nikon will recall them, he said.

The Nikkei newspaper said March 10 that U.S. customers had raised a class-action lawsuit against Nikon claiming D600 defects. Satake said the manufacturer is aware of the D600 camera issue and “aims to offer the same standard service for customers all over the world.”

The company posted a statement on Feb. 26 saying it would provide free service for the D600 after warranties run out, including cleaning and a free exchange of parts. The Chinese broadcast highlighted the statement as insufficient to address a recurring defect in the camera.
Nikon to Fix Camera Flaws Cited by China TV Consumer Show - Bloomberg

But hey DPR gave the D600 an 87% Gold rating !
03-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

So how does the balance sheet compute now by not dealing with the oil stain issue in an aggressive manner from the get-go. Some companies have to learn the hard way.

I will say when I sent my D600 in ( about when the D600 was first released) Nikon fixed it by putting in a new shutter assembly and sensor. I don't know why everyone didn't get the same treatment though. And also I thought the D600 was discontinued when the D610 came out. Perhaps some old inventory.
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #10

A bit off track here, but didn't Nikon have oil issues with the 7000 too? Did they ever acknowledge it?
03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
A bit off track here, but didn't Nikon have oil issues with the 7000 too? Did they ever acknowledge it?
It was a separate issue, I think. I think D7000 issues were more a sensor stain, a little like the K5 sensor stain. The D600 issues had to do with the shutter mechanism producing oil and grit that over time would get on the sensor. Probably a more major fix needed for the D600.

I do wonder if Nikon pulled their D600s off of shelves in this country and sent them to other countries to get rid of, expecting to get inventory off of their hands without having to deal with a lot of warranty work/law suits.
03-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And also I thought the D600 was discontinued when the D610 came out. Perhaps some old inventory.
Nikon's yearly replacement product cycle seems to over-produce cameras that then stay in retail channels for at least one, if not two, generations after they've been discontinued.

Though they don't seem to be as bad with their higher-end enthusiast/lower-end full-frame models like the D600, so I expect it will only still be easily available new through standard retail channels until the D610 itself has been replaced.
03-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

At least they recognized the problem, even if it was slow and reluctant. To my knowledge Pentax has never recognized any problems with SDM lenses?
Fuji quickly replaced thousands of sensors in the X10 due to "orbs" that were a relatively minor issue to most shooters. They are still issuing firmware updates on the original X camera, the X100. That's the kind of customer response I like to see.

Regards!
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
At least they recognized the problem, even if it was slow and reluctant. To my knowledge Pentax has never recognized any problems with SDM lenses?
Fuji quickly replaced thousands of sensors in the X10 due to "orbs" that were a relatively minor issue to most shooters. They are still issuing firmware updates on the original X camera, the X100. That's the kind of customer response I like to see.

Regards!
I'm not sure how being told by a National Government to stop selling the cameras amounts to recognizing the problem. The reps were telling customers the oil spots were caused by the smog. At least Pentax never lied to anyone about what caused the SDM failures. Obviously the Pentax SDM problem wasn't as big or widespread. Maybe because it's a smaller company, maybe because the percentage of SDM failures wasn't as high. Maybe there are still a vast majority of Pentax SDM users who have never had an SDM failure.

Maybe this subject has been talked to death and it's ready to be laid to rest.
03-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian

"Next time a Nikon product is defective, you can bet they’ll be recalled or fixed IMMEDIATELY."

Don't count on it, not from Nikon or anyone else.