Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Topcon SLR

So, my dad was going through a bunch of stuff in his basement, and came across a box of my grandfathers old topcon SLR equipment. He asked me if i wanted it, and i said heck yes. I have no idea of the condition, model, or accessories with it, but i'll find out this summer when i vacation with him and get it.

I did do some looking in to the brand (because i've never herd of it) It seems pretty decent quality. Might have to find a way to get it CLR'd (maybe eric, will have to ask some questions.)

I did see that some people have removed the mount and installed a k-mount, but theres no way i'm doing that. The sentimental value it way to high for me. I did find that fotodix makes an adaptor to adapt these lens's to K-mount (with element, but thats OK)

How cool would it be for me to take portraits of the great grandkids with his old lens's and give it to him. (i guess i'm just a softie that way)

anyway......... now that i've rambled on.......

does anyone have any experience with these camera's? Information? anything? I've found a little, but there doesn't seem to be very much out there.

03-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Banned

Here is the Beseler Topcon Super D in an old camera ad.
03-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so, i have a little more information.
it's a RE Super, with a 58mm and 135mm lens and some other stuff.
This camera is pristine from what i can tell, I don't see a scratch on it, and in true form for my grandfather he still has the box.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
03-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The RE Super and later Super D/DM cameras are wonderful.
Topcor lenses are first rate, too. Enjoy that nice camera!

Chris

03-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Enjoy that nice camera!
i'm pretty sure i will, too bad it's still 900 miles away at my parents house in chicago......... man, august can't come soon enough :-)
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat stuff!

Regards!
03-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Topcon still exists in surveying and some medical imaging equipment. I think Beseler just added their name for sales in the US, at the time. Apparently, Toshiba is their majority shareholder, so they could always get into digital cameras with their own sensor!
03-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think Beseler just added their name for sales in the US, at the time.
Yep, Beseler was to Topcon as Honeywell was to Pentax. They were the U.S. distributors for Topcon and several other photo lines. IIRC, they also sold Toshiba flashes under the Beseler name. How is that for turn-about?

Steve

04-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice!! i always wanted topcon glass... i think that there is a nex to topcon flange adapter available... buying a used nex3 or similar would give a better picture than shooting through a glass k-mount adapter.
04-26-2014, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #10

TOPCON First First First You lucky guy!

I bought my first TOPCON, the second tier RE2, in 1969 when I was in art school. A couple of years later, it was stolen and I replaced it another RE2, this time with the f1.4 58mm About 1974, I purchased a Super D like yours. Don't sell it! You have one of the finest Japanese 35mm SLRs ever made and a piece of photographic history.

TOPCON was the first SLR to have TTL metering and, unlike later Pentax and Nikon metering systems, it was full aperture and read illumination from the mirror. Thus, the finder image did not dim as the camera was stopped down and, as the ad below shows, you always had a meter, no matter what finder was attached.

Though the RE2 is a lower line model, it has certain advantages over the Super D While it lacks a mirror lock-up and removable prism, it has a Copal, vertically traveling shutter that is quieter and smoother than the Super D's horizontal cloth one as well as providing a higher flash sync. speed of 1/125th sec.
What a find. You are a lucky guy!!!
04-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Topcon still exists in surveying and some medical imaging equipment. I think Beseler just added their name for sales in the US, at the time. Apparently, Toshiba is their majority shareholder, so they could always get into digital cameras with their own sensor!
Thanks for answering a question I had had for a few years but did not want to clutter by asking. I learned what I know about surveying with a Topcon theodolite, in the early 80s. The other theodolite we had at that office was nicknamed the "Colonel Light" after the surveyor of Adelaide in 1836/7. It looked an old enough design.
04-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@squarenegs, no worries there, I won't ever sell it. I hope to run a few rolls of film through it. But even if I never use it (doubtful), I won't ever get rid of it, I'm way to sentimental for that.
04-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #13

Submarine camera

I used this camera hooked to a periscope during the Viet Nam war. It is a great body I used to shoot off a film back at 400 frames per. I developed film (black and white) on board and really learned how real photography was done.

I would love to see some of your shots....too bad you could never see any of mine. LOL

Great find don't sell her.......Take care Mike
04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personal hand off

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
i'm pretty sure i will, too bad it's still 900 miles away at my parents house in chicago......... man, august can't come soon enough :-)
Please don't consider having it "mailed" to you. Wait. Wait, wait until August arrives. The personal hand off to you will be a valuable memory. Enjoy. You"ll become an expert on vintage cameras I' m sure

Thanks for those photos..