Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But what lenses?
Surely it isn't going to be E-mount.
Oh, they'll probably have an adaptor

-ducks-

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 14:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
X-trans will not work for MF: it is the niche for people who know what they want and it will be too hard to feed this fuji BS about X-Trans as it was for niche of clueless amateurs.
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

03-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Nice try, but those are A-mount lenses. Let's decide which system we're talking about and stick to that, OK?

philbaum, I really doubt Sony could enforce such things on Ricoh. And actually there's a civilized alternative, licensing the mount.
The rumor is made up, though, just like the Olympus, Samsung, Canon, Nikon DMF rumors.
03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The thing that is different with Sony is that: When they say they are coming out with something completely different - THEY REALLY DO IT

With most other camera makers - its often just another iteration.

Remember when you first saw the Nex - looked pretty ugly to me and now i own 2

Another factor to consider is that Sony's version of the focus peaking and magnify is the best out there, from what i;ve read and from what i've experienced on my 2 nexs.

Another thought: Sony sold this MF sensor to Hasselblad and Pentax. What if that contract includes the rights for Sony to make adapters to use AF lenses from Hasse and Pentax in exchange for the supply of MF sensors??? So Sony would make a body and supply sensors that would enable existing AF MF lenses from other mfr to be used on their bodies. Sounds a little farfetched but Pentax would be dead in the water without a new MF sensor.
I think Sony's sensor department is separate from their camera department. I know there have been times that Nikon got exclusive deals on sensors before Sony's own guys got access to them. I don't buy that Sony makes enough money on their cameras to see them selling a camera without glass (although they do seem to do it a lot). Traditionally, in medium format, the glass makes as much money (or more) than the camera bodies.
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #64
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nice try, but those are A-mount lenses. Let's decide which system we're talking about and stick to that, OK?

philbaum, I really doubt Sony could enforce such things on Ricoh. And actually there's a civilized alternative, licensing the mount.
The rumor is made up, though, just like the Olympus, Samsung, Canon, Nikon DMF rumors.
The Sony full frame VG900, A7 and A7r have full-time continuous Phase Detection AF with Sony A mount lenses using the LA-EA4 adapter.

Sony A7R with LA-EA4 adapter on the Sony 70-400 G lens

03-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Adapters, schmadapters. Whatever. It's a system with 4 native lenses (plus one soon to be released).
Who would buy a $2200 lens (+ $380 adapter) just to adapt it to a foreign mount? Since you counted all of them, who would buy a $13000 lens just to adapt it to a foreign mount?

Rondec: yes, they are separate departments.
03-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
I may instead tell you about image processing in general and why the xtrans is initially limited in resolution what once led Bruce Bayer to use the type of filter which is now known under his name.
I repeat, Fuji marketing may work for clueless amateurs, but it won't work for people who know what they are doing.
03-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #67
Veteran Member

LOL @ "Adapters, schmadapters."

It's a system with 4 native lenses (plus one soon to be released).
Who would buy a $2200 lens (+ $380 adapter) just to adapt it to a foreign mount? Since you counted all of them, who would buy a $13000 lens just to adapt it to a foreign mount?
Pentaxians would.

If the FF Pentax was to have a new mount, and Pentax would guarantee backwards compatibility through an AF adapter, then Pentaxians with all kinds of brilliant K-mount lenses would gladly buy such an adapter. And they would herald Pentax for it too. Especially if it was done prettier and smaller then the ugly Sony contraption. Of course some users would be disappointed too and switch, but those tend to be a lot less vocal then the ones that are happy and stick around.

03-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I'm a Pentaxian, and I definitely wouldn't. I want no stinkin' adapters, I want no stinkin' mirrorless mount which would eliminate the optical viewfinder and require me to pay more in order to use my lenses with limitations. Yes, there are always limitations. I want Pentax products, not something else with a Pentax label on it.
Those who want adapters should go to Sony already. They can even stack adapters on top of each other if they think adapting is so wonderful.
Contrary to what you're saying, it's those wanting new mounts and adapters and "a better Sony than Sony" products who are unhappy and complains a lot. People reasonably happy with Pentax don't have such urges; how would it work, "I'm happy with my Pentax DSLR and lenses, so I want to switch to a new system"?
03-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm a Pentaxian, and I definitely wouldn't. I want no stinkin' adapters, I want no stinkin' mirrorless mount which would eliminate the optical viewfinder and require me to pay more in order to use my lenses with limitations. Yes, there are always limitations. I want Pentax products, not something else with a Pentax label on it.
Those who want adapters should go to Sony already. They can even stack adapters on top of each other if they think adapting is so wonderful.
Contrary to what you're saying, it's those wanting new mounts and adapters and "a better Sony than Sony" products who are unhappy and complains a lot. People reasonably happy with Pentax don't have such urges; how would it work, "I'm happy with my Pentax DSLR and lenses, so I want to switch to a new system"?
I'm happy with my Pentax gear as well. And if Pentax were to change ways, or change mounts, I would not hesitate for a single moment to get that addional adapter to be able to continue using my Pentax lenses. Because even if a mount would change, those lenses would still be just as good as they were before.

That's what's happening at Sony. There are some very loyal A-mount users that have a stockpile of above excellent glass. Sony would be dumb not to provide an AF adapter for them. That's the intention of the adapter. Not twisted the other way round, as you implied with: "
It's a system with 4 native lenses (plus one soon to be released).
Who would buy a $2200 lens (+ $380 adapter) just to adapt it to a foreign mount? Since you counted all of them, who would buy a $13000 lens just to adapt it to a foreign mount?"
03-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #70
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Yes, there are always limitations. I want Pentax products, not something else with a Pentax label on it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/252996-know-anyone-...pentax-ff.html
03-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are going fairly far afield here, since I think the discussion is about medium format. I do think it is an issue to ditch your mount really quickly. If Pentax released a 645 D MK II with a shorter registration distance, an EVF, and an adapter to allow for the use of current 645 lenses with auto focus (for the price $999), people would flip out and I don't think it would generate that much increase in sales from non-Pentax users.

But, I do think the medium format market is different and I don't believe that a NEX style medium format camera would be a huge seller, even if it was just priced at 6000 dollars.
03-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #72
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
We are going fairly far afield here, since I think the discussion is about medium format.
Just like other Sony camera discussions it turned into a "I hate Sony" thread. It's amazing they would purchase a Ricoh/Pentax camera with Sony sensor.
03-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #73
Veteran Member

The discussion here fit a lot of the description here...

03-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Just like other Sony camera discussions it turned into a "I hate Sony" thread. It's amazing they would purchase a Ricoh/Pentax camera with Sony sensor.
Oh but Pentax is able to pull much more out of that exact same Sony sensor then Sony itself. Because after purchasing the sensors from Sony, Pentax secretly sprays them with a layer of the top secret PXDST-coating.
03-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a few regular posters of whom I simply cannot understand the motivation.

And before you Reply with the obvious response, yes, I am on my own list.