Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
My own take on EVF's is they are the future, but the future is not now.

I wear glasses, so and EFV on a bright sunny day is no treat due to the light leakage around the cup. I have to use my hand to shield external light, not so with the OVF. Also sometimes I shoot with sunglasses, polarized sunglasses. Switch from landscape to portrait orientation and find out that the EVF is polarized to and I can't see much of anything.

I don't think the EVF/OVF thing is going to involve a switch like change, so that one day everyone suddenly starts buying and using EVFs. Rather, its going to be gradual conversion and leveling off. So that 10 years from now, some types of cameras will always use OVF and others will use EVFs. Look at film usage, folks are still shooting it.

The transition is already underway. Sony makes all their cameras with EVF vice OVF. Found this post on the Sony forums on dpreview:

QuoteQuote:
I shoot events and I find the EVF really helps me a lot than using the traditional OVF. The best thing is whatever you see on the back LCD screen is exactly the same as the one in the EVF, means you can operate the menu and preview your photos without leaving the EVF.

A handful of Zeiss and G lenses suppot AF-D on the A99, means faster and better continuous focusing, with the expense of shorter battery life, which is also one of the A99's drawbacks. You need to prepare almost double the amount of batter than our Nikon counterpart, for me, a full event needs at least 4-6 batteries. And more if its a full-day event, but also depends on your shooting style.

I find it really hard to go back to traditional DSLR after switching to Sony, I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Good luck and happy shooting
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I suspect a part of the problem is that many camera-makers seem undecided whether they are making solid, practical and very carefully thought-through items of photography equipment or, instead, fashion statements or almost throw-away items for the consumer electronics industry. The Sony A7/A7r are classic examples of the second tendency, I'd have thought. They do have the sensor and the form factor spot on but almost everything else about them suggests lack of thought, lack of clarity and a hasty rush to the beancounters' deadline. If light-leakage around the VF cup is an issue for any manufacturer then it needs to be studied, remedied and appropriate accessories offered. Alas, fat chance with many camera outfits these days.
You express the frustration that many of us have very well! But at times, i'm not sure whether the camera makers just don't get it, or whether the real problem is that folks have so many different preferences - its hard to put it all in one camera.

I play this game where i try to sell pictures out of 2 outlets. And the game is: picking out pictures that people might want to buy - the old "What will people want" game. Size, style and content choices.

Yet, when Fuji came out with their latest series of specialized cameras, there was some widespread appeal of their efforts. And for some specific models in each brand, some seem to hit the target and others don't. And then there's the need for manufacturers to hit a specific price point, a specific size and shape, etc. So many cameras do come out with the look that a large committee designed them. Then there's the K01, designed by a specific individual - how did that work for you :-)

The marketplace isn't just one individual, its many groups, and the more groups a camera will appeal to, the better the chance for large sales. Too many compromises, and its the old vanilla camera again.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-01-2014 at 01:38 PM.
04-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
You express the frustration that many of us have very well! But at times, i'm not sure whether the camera makers just don't get it, or whether the real problem is that folks have so many different preferences - its hard to put it all in one camera.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Or maybe it's because of the fact that people have so many different preferences that the camera makers just don't know which way to move anymore. The camera market is a huge collection of niches.

That's why I don't think it's all that crazy for Sony to develop, market and see what sticks. The method sure isn't chique, but works. It might actually be cheaper and/or less time consuming to do it that way then doing market research that doesn't really give any solid concluding results.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-02-2014 at 12:27 AM.
04-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Some overarching thoughts on Sony’s strategic position with the rumoured medium format camera by Lloyd Chambers:

diglloyd blog - Sony CMOS 44 X 33mm Medium Format Sensor: Coming to a new Sony Camera?
04-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Sony's new strategy seems to be to make 'digital backs' ( first aps-c, then FF, now perhaps MF )
Perhaps these are the new 'walkman' where all costs are recovered enough to not bother about the RnD/inventory for lenses.
Like the NEX and A7/r, these come with a small range of lenses to keep costs down, while satisfying the requirements of the lower end of the photographic user spectrum. (ie, laymen, low end users, some mid end users; More advanced users are expected to adapt lenses -but they are not the real target market since its a 'mass market' product)

If PhaseOne or Leaf makes a snap on digital back for $30K, Sony is just making that plus some of the front camera parts to call it a medium format MILC.
They snap on a spare high res LCD from their hand phone, the imaging processing from the existing A7/r line, and they certainly can make this camera.

04-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #125
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Sony's new strategy seems to be to make 'digital backs' ( first aps-c, then FF, now perhaps MF )
Perhaps these are the new 'walkman' where all costs are recovered enough to not bother about the RnD/inventory for lenses.
Like the NEX and A7/r, these come with a small range of lenses to keep costs down, while satisfying the requirements of the lower end of the photographic user spectrum. (ie, laymen, low end users, some mid end users; More advanced users are expected to adapt lenses -but they are not the real target market since its a 'mass market' product)

If PhaseOne or Leaf makes a snap on digital back for $30K, Sony is just making that plus some of the front camera parts to call it a medium format MILC.
They snap on a spare high res LCD from their hand phone, the imaging processing from the existing A7/r line, and they certainly can make this camera.
I don't see the big deal about a lack of lenses IMHO.
Mirrorless System Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Lenses | B&H Photo Video
SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Lenses | B&H Photo Video
04-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
They have a decent number of lenses for APS-C, but very few for full frame mirrorless and none for medium format. According to the article linked above, they might be strongly considering a fixed lens medium format camera, not a NEX, which certainly would be a different beast.
04-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #127
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They have a decent number of lenses for APS-C, but very few for full frame mirrorless and none for medium format. According to the article linked above, they might be strongly considering a fixed lens medium format camera, not a NEX, which certainly would be a different beast.
Why should they have a medium format lens today when the camera is not even in production yet ? The reason why I purchased the full frame Sony VG900 is because I could use all of my full frame Pentax lenses in their native format along with any other SLR/DSLR lens. The only cameras that work with more lenses is the m4/3rds mirrorless cameras but with a 2x crop. The only people complaining about a lack of lenses are people clueless about camera gear and don't have a clue about using a camera in manual mode.

04-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why should they have a medium format lens today when the camera is not even in production yet ? The reason why I purchased the full frame Sony VG900 is because I could use all of my full frame Pentax lenses in their native format along with any other SLR/DSLR lens. The only cameras that work with more lenses is the m4/3rds mirrorless cameras but with a 2x crop. The only people complaining about a lack of lenses are people clueless about camera gear and don't have a clue about using a camera in manual mode.
We've discussed this numerous times. I feel the market for adapting lenses is quite a bit smaller than you believe it is. Most folks who are interested in an EVIL or, SLR camera are interested in native lenses that can mount without an adapter. You can call them clueless if you want to, but I choose to consider them "normal."
04-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #129
Pentaxian

The only people complaining about a lack of lenses are people clueless about camera gear and don't have a clue about using a camera in manual mode.
I don't see any manual film cameras in your list of gear. And I don't see you posting any film shots. I post them regularly from cameras that don't even have a built in light meter. So would you say I'm clueless about manual focus?
04-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #130
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't see any manual film cameras in your list of gear. And I don't see you posting any film shots. I post them regularly from cameras that don't even have a built in light meter. So would you say I'm clueless about manual focus?
Were did I say YOU are clueless about manual focus ? I have many cameras that are not in my signature like the Pentax 6x7. This thread is about the Sony Medium Format and like all Sony threads it has become a "Lets dump on Sony" thread.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-02-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Language
04-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #131
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
he said people who complain about a lack of lenses, and i don't recall seeing you do that??

what he's talking about is people who can't see beyond the proprietary mount that's on the camera that they own... we just saw it a couple of pages back in this thread, major pentax platform fanaticism.

closed minds that can't think beyond the closed platform that they have been wedded to for years... the concept that you can mount any lens from any manufacturer to a camera is beyond their comprehension.

as you all know, the flip side to that is that losing autofocus, exif data, etc., can be a serious issue for, say, a wedding photographer... sony uses something called adi, which is a format where the lens communicates distance data back to the camera, and afaik, you only get it with modern sony glass.

so if you are a working pro who's evaluating platforms, and you need the best flash capability that's available on the platform, the first thing you might look at is the current sony lens lineup.

how much of that is going to apply to a new sony medium format camera? won't it probably mount lenses from any medium format camera?
04-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #132
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Were did I say YOU are clueless about manual focus ? I have many cameras that are not in my signature like the Pentax 6x7. This thread is about the Sony Medium Format and like all Sony threads it has become a "Lets dump on Sony" thread.
I'll bet that doesn't happen nearly so often on the Sony forums.
I wonder if that all has to do with difference in the number of Sony enthusiasts on a Sony forum versus the number of Sony enthusiasts on a Pentax forum.

Maybe it's something else altogether. confused2

Last edited by Parallax; 04-02-2014 at 10:20 AM.
04-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #133
Pentaxian

... I have many cameras that are not in my signature like the Pentax 6x7.
Blow the dust off that bad boy and join us in the medium format thread!
04-05-2014, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The discussion here fit a lot of the description here...

How to Annoy a Photography Snob - Top 10! - YouTube
Love it..."A7r...that's your problem, soft..." (end of discussion)

Steve

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why would I want to discuss other brand gear on a Forum built to discuss Pentax gear?
Because Adam created this special place. He also created the special Pentax FF area. The purpose is the same...sequester and remove from the main stream of consciousness that which fevers the blood.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:11 AM ----------

If Ricoh/Pentax came out with a camera with the world's fastest AF and 11 fps subject tracking it would be a hit with Pentax users.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/251...-tracking.html
Oh! You mean like the rumored world's fastest AF?

Steve

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:14 AM ----------

People who have a clue.
ROFL...There are two kinds of people in the world, those who agree with Joe and those who haven't got a clue.

Steve

BTW...I sort of agree with Joe and may yet buy a Sony, assuming I can find an A7 or A7r to hold in my hand. They appear to be fairly rare in B&M stores even Best Buy...does that mean that I have a partial clue?

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's an usual occurrence with species having √2 fingers; humans tends to use base 10
One to pick with and the other to point with...two is enough and with appropriate adapters and with people having a clue, two will do the work of ten.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 09:29 AM ----------

The big question in my mind is whether the rumored MF camera will be marketed as a still camera, a phone, or a video camera. I vote for the latter since it is what I really want. That way I can use huge 6x7 medium format lenses on the format they were originally designed for to make 70mm video captures to a format that does not currently exist, but will in the future because it will only make sense to do so.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.
04-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #135
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Oh! You mean like the rumored world's fastest AF?
Show me a link to a faster one.