Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Latest rumour about the potential launch of a medium format camera by Sony:

(SR3) More tidbits on the Medium Format Sony: “Imagine a sort of digital Mamiya 7″. | sonyalpharumors

Definitely not a rangefinder camera like the Mamiya 7 was but why not a short-register medium format camera with interchangeable lenses? Think of a NEX-7 under steroids.
Or maybe a MF version of RX1.
First "pocket sized" DMF.

03-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Or maybe a MF version of RX1.
First "pocket sized" DMF.
That would have to be compared to a Fuji GW670, not a Mamiya 7 .

03-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #48
Pentaxian

That would have to be compared to a Fuji GW670, not a Mamiya 7 .
You'll have to explain that one. I have a M7II and as a film rangefinder how much different is that from the GW670?

And if/when we do have a medium format mirrorless in the 50MP range, I wonder how many will still shoot more pictures on a lesser MP camera. I mean for posting on the web and casual shooting, 36PM+ files are not much fun to work with in my experience especially after the honeymoon is over. But others milage will vary.
03-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I mean for posting on the web and casual shooting, 36PM+ files are not much fun to work with in my experience. But others milage will vary.
I'm getting tired of downsampling APSc jpeg's for the web. I cannot fathom a use for a pocket DMF camera.

03-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #50
Pentaxian

You'll have to explain that one. I have a M7II and as a film rangefinder how much different is that from the GW670?

(...).
Both are 6x7 medium format rangefinder cameras but Fuji GW670 is a fixed-lens camera whilst Mamiya 7 is a camera with interchangeable lenses.

Same difference as Sony RX1 vs. Alpha 7.
03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
They went the way of the mirrorless systemcamera. Most of their products are clearly focussed on that. With the exceptions being products that provide support for existing users. I don't see how that can be considered confusing.

True, but remember, it's still only a rumor. The cameras are rumored to be VERY different. "Something the world has never seen." So it could even be that the Sony DMF will be in the form of a fixed prime compact with MF sensor? Then the, very realistic, glass-problem that you describe here won't even exit. And it would follow the line of their succesfull FF sensored compact very coherently.
I don't buy it. I think NEX style medium format is what Sony would come out, with a short enough registration distance that it could mount a variety of existing medium format lenses. By something very different, they just mean that it would have an EVF and be smaller than existing medium format options (and probably have faster speed of operation/auto focus).

Everything Sony does flies in the face of the axiom I always tell new users: "Buy into a system for the glass." For Sony, it is just about electronics and if they eventually come out with glass, it is often like the Sony FE 35mm f2.8 that requires a significant amount of massaging from the camera to get decent images. I believe that Pentax, Olympus, Nikon and Canon all have great glass options for existing cameras, but Sony just isn't there and doesn't seem to care.
03-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Both are 6x7 medium format rangefinder cameras but Fuji GW670 is a fixed-lens camera whilst Mamiya 7 is a camera with interchangeable lenses.

Same difference as Sony RX1 vs. Alpha 7.
Oh, yeah. I forgot it was a fixed lens camera. Thanks. Fixed lens cameras can be a cure for LBA.

03-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #53
Veteran Member

And if/when we do have a medium format mirrorless in the 50MP range, I wonder how many will still shoot more pictures on a lesser MP camera. I mean for posting on the web and casual shooting, 36PM+ files are not much fun to work with in my experience especially after the honeymoon is over. But others milage will vary.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm getting tired of downsampling APSc jpeg's for the web. I cannot fathom a use for a pocket DMF camera.
But that's why them cameras have an EBAY mode, or a FACEBOOK mode... I can get 6MP jpegs out of my D600

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 01:56 PM ----------

Oh, yeah. I forgot it was a fixed lens camera. Thanks. Fixed lens cameras can be a cure for LBA.
I had a GM670 which definitely is not a fixed lens camera. So that and the GM690 are the kin of the Mamiyas mentioned.
Meanwhile, Mamiya also made a 645 camera... who owns Mamiya these days?
03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #54
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't buy it. I think NEX style medium format is what Sony would come out, with a short enough registration distance that it could mount a variety of existing medium format lenses. By something very different, they just mean that it would have an EVF and be smaller than existing medium format options (and probably have faster speed of operation/auto focus).

Everything Sony does flies in the face of the axiom I always tell new users: "Buy into a system for the glass." For Sony, it is just about electronics and if they eventually come out with glass, it is often like the Sony FE 35mm f2.8 that requires a significant amount of massaging from the camera to get decent images. I believe that Pentax, Olympus, Nikon and Canon all have great glass options for existing cameras, but Sony just isn't there and doesn't seem to care.
B&H has 41 Pentax DSLR lenses listed and 55 Sony APS-C and full frame lenses listed.
The reason I purchased the full frame Sony VG900 in 2012 is to use all of my full frame Pentax lenses at their native FL since Ricoh/Pentax doesn't seem to care about full frame. In fact low cost Canon FD mount lenses work better on Sony VG900, A7 and A7r full frame cameras than on Canon DSLRs. There are 200 million lenses that work with the full frame Sony cameras.

SONY A7R with Legacy LENS

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-lens-mount-adapters/

Sony mirrorless lenses
Sony DSLR lenses

Last edited by jogiba; 03-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
03-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure. That works for you. I happen to like having the ability to buy a lens and stick on my camera without an adapter and have it auto focus smoothly without problem. That's the way all of my DA and FA lenses function on my K3/K5 II/K-01 and it is exactly what is missing from the Sony FE mount right now.
03-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
B&H has 41 Pentax DSLR lenses listed and 55 Sony APS-C and full frame lenses listed.
It's 41 vs. 22, actually, including duplicates.
Sony only announced about 20 E-mount lenses, not all being on the market.
03-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Details, Schmetails. Sony can mount any interchangeable lens ever made in the history of sand.*

* With an adapter. Which doesn't matter. You can take a picture with every lens you already own. Any the camera is thin and sexy, so you can carry it in a shirt pocket. And RETRO!! And who needs that flapping, expensive mirror box and shutter. Passive viewfinder technology is overratted anyway. Outdated. EVF can display so much information like a histogram of the adjusted EV preview of the jpeg of your RAW file. What lag - your lying eyes can't see no stinking lag. Google Glass is coming. And new mounts!!! Electronic!!! Modern!!!!! So what about your adapted lenses - you can focus and shoot.

And . . . . and . . . SONY!
03-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #58
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Details, Schmetails. Sony can mount any interchangeable lens ever made in the history of sand.*

* With an adapter. Which doesn't matter. You can take a picture with every lens you already own. Any the camera is thin and sexy, so you can carry it in a shirt pocket. And RETRO!! And who needs that flapping, expensive mirror box and shutter. Passive viewfinder technology is overratted anyway. Outdated. EVF can display so much information like a histogram of the adjusted EV preview of the jpeg of your RAW file. What lag - your lying eyes can't see no stinking lag. Google Glass is coming. And new mounts!!! Electronic!!! Modern!!!!! So what about your adapted lenses - you can focus and shoot.

And . . . . and . . . SONY!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/252996-know-anyone-...pentax-ff.html

Last edited by jogiba; 03-27-2014 at 12:27 PM.
03-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

The thing that is different with Sony is that: When they say they are coming out with something completely different - THEY REALLY DO IT

With most other camera makers - its often just another iteration.

Remember when you first saw the Nex - looked pretty ugly to me and now i own 2

Another factor to consider is that Sony's version of the focus peaking and magnify is the best out there, from what i;ve read and from what i've experienced on my 2 nexs.

Another thought: Sony sold this MF sensor to Hasselblad and Pentax. What if that contract includes the rights for Sony to make adapters to use AF lenses from Hasse and Pentax in exchange for the supply of MF sensors??? So Sony would make a body and supply sensors that would enable existing AF MF lenses from other mfr to be used on their bodies. Sounds a little farfetched but Pentax would be dead in the water without a new MF sensor.
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
(...)
Meanwhile, Mamiya also made a 645 camera... who owns Mamiya these days?
Phase One since 2009. They also own Leaf, which they bought in 2009 too.

And Sinar belongs to Leica Camera AG.