Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Surprising rumor: First hints about a Sony medium format camera?

QuoteQuote:
Two different anonymous sources got hints about a quite surprising new Sony camera. They have been told Sony will launch their own Sony branded medium format camera within the next 5-6 months. It will use the same 50MP 44x33mm sensor used by the $27,500 Hasselblad H5D-50c (here at BHphoto).

Both sources stressed to say that the camera will not compete against the Hasselblad, Pentax 645DII and Phase one using the same Sony sensor. The camera is “completely different“! And….good news…it’s cheaper than them
(SR3) Surprising rumor: First hints about a Sony medium format camera? | sonyalpharumors

MF for under $5K ?

03-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But what lenses?
Surely it isn't going to be E-mount.
03-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting!

Thanks for posting this, jogiba! If Sony can put a medium format camera on the market for 5K, it would be amazing. MF for the price of FF?
But at that level people are going to demand quality lenses, this isn't the soccer-mom or dad's Best Buy deal of the week- consumer-CaNikon crowd.
And not just a zoom and a couple of primes, either. For studio portraiture, product, architecture, scenic/landscape and all the print mags still around, it sounds great. But a camera that's (likely) bigger and heavier than a FF, bigger lenses too, will have to pay for itself in I.Q. Sure, Sony's got the $$ backing, marketing muscle and instant access to the latest (or, custom) sensors. All pluses.
Still, have you ever admired a photo taken with a Sony APS-C or larger camera, and wished Pentax could make a lens that good? Me neither.
Maybe they make great glass, I honestly don't know. It's too hard for me to keep up with their camera/viewfinder selection, for me to figure out if different mounts/lenses work across each system. K-mount has spoiled me for anything more complicated.
Is that a minus, or am I just a slow learner?
But I do respect that they keep making end runs around the traditional DSLR-system and viewing choices, offer virtually every format- often in several price ranges, have great tech resources and marketing placement and, last, seem very determined to conquer the $100 to $ 10,000 camera markets. All at the same time.
If there was one tech-savvy industry giant that COULD do all that, I'd back Sony. Will they? I doubt it. They, like Canon and Nikon, pay token homage to the cropped-sensor DSLR crowd, "just our threshold place-keeper, get you in the door. $500 and a free zoom!". Now you'll never leave.
Meaning, as we all know, they underestimated Ricoh/Pentax and we'll win that market handily. I'm serious!
But Sony (here he goes again, always with the lenses!) is dropping in on party of heavy hitters, photo-wise. Someone needing a MF system puts the bar very high in terms of final image I.Q. Is Sony up to that? Or, are they trying to create a market there, too?
Very interesting development.
Ron
03-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wohow! That would make Medium Format obtainable for a whole lot more people! And it would influence prices of other formats as well maybe?

03-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wohow! That would make Medium Format obtainable for a whole lot more people! And it would influence prices of other formats as well maybe?
Might take years until that happens... so I wouldn't hold my breath lol.

But these are interesting "news" for sure .
03-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Perhaps the reason any Sony MFD will be cheaper is because you'll have one or two native mount lenses for the system and you'll have the inconvenience of adapting any other lens you may need from another system.
03-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Might take years until that happens... so I wouldn't hold my breath lol.

But these are interesting "news" for sure .
Well, at least at that pricepoint it would become an option for me. Instantly, not within years.

I like the other news they had even better though: (SR5) Mark Weir from Sony confirms new FE lenses and “unique” cameras will be announced soon! And very fast FE lenses will come too! | sonyalpharumors
Very fast lenses for FE mount, and cameras that the world hasn't seen before. I like that.
03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps the reason any Sony MFD will be cheaper is because you'll have one or two native mount lenses for the system and you'll have the inconvenience of adapting any other lens you may need from another system.
This is one area where it does not really matter right?
I mean the current MFD cameras are no AF monsters anyway, and a large part of the user base is prepared to use manual lenses in the first place, give the number of manual lenses available out there.

03-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
This is one area where it does not really matter right?
I mean the current MFD cameras are no AF monsters anyway, and a large part of the user base is prepared to use manual lenses in the first place, give the number of manual lenses available out there.
Today's use of MFD, perhaps. But I see the future of MFD being way more dynamic where responsive AF will enable more candid and action photography with the new CMOS sensor.
03-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Of course, Sony can reverse engineer or license an existing legacy MF mount and have backward compatibility to a large base of lenses that way
03-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah... it will happen, and soon. I mean, right after Samsung, Olympus, Canon, Nikon and who knows what other manufacturer was rumored to go medium format.
The digital medium format market is huuuge and it can easily support all of them
03-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony should just forget about lenses altiogether and buy the rights to the Adaptall brand name from Tamron.

Sony Adaptall Cameras.
Whatever you got. We can mount it.
03-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Guys... It is Sony's own 50mp MF sensor. Not THAT strange that they're going to use too now is it?!?
03-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Just because they make the sensor doesn't means it wouldn't be strange to go all the way to making a full DMF solution.
03-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sony should just forget about lenses altiogether and buy the rights to the Adaptall brand name from Tamron.

Sony Adaptall Cameras.
Whatever you got. We can mount it.
I am thinking the same thing. It will be a mirrorless with a set of lens adapters for whatever set of 645 lenses one happens to have. Essentially like their Alpha 7R. Phase One has their back, Pentax has their 645D body, Sony will have their MF "back" as a mirrorless skinny body, with a set of adapters - mount the lenses that you already have. What will be cool will be if they can adapt to everyone's AF approach.