Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #46
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
4K video needs 4K face, 4K production quality, 4K editing, 4K content.
Personally, I don't see why the layman (and may folks in fact) need 4K

My face is not 4K ready.
Its not 4K smooth.
Shooting my kids running about needs good quality, but not 4K quality (Love my kids, but I'm not narcissistic enough to think that its 4K)
I don't want to bore guests showing them my 4K video of my latest tour to Cambodia where every segment is interrupted by my lousy in video narrative (or none) and walking transitions from place to place (or some inane dialog on the tour bus).

Just not a video guy perhaps....
This is why 4K :

04-08-2014, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Nice and all, but I gotta believe the birth of a child is more about the moment and less about the quality it was captured with.

Parents would be just as happy with a a video from a Canon g12 I would think.

Then again, I'm not a video guy and maybe I don't get it, but the people I see at school events and what not aren't videoing their kids with anything even approaching the quality of entry level dslr video and they seem plenty happy capturing the moment that way.
04-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Nice and all, but I gotta believe the birth of a child is more about the moment and less about the quality it was captured with.

Parents would be just as happy with a a video from a Canon g12 I would think.

Then again, I'm not a video guy and maybe I don't get it, but the people I see at school events and what not aren't videoing their kids with anything even approaching the quality of entry level dslr video and they seem plenty happy capturing the moment that way.
Using that logic, many people might ask why you use a DSLR or other large sensor camera to take photos when most people are content using a cell phone or P&S.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-08-2014 at 03:46 PM.
04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #49
Banned

Original Poster
Here is the new 4K Atomos Shogun HDMI recorder for the A7s and GH4 !

Shogun | Atomos

04-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To think...

Sony almost had more lenses than camera bodies for just a little bit of time there.

back to typical Sony. Three FE lenses, three FE bodies.
04-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

back to typical Sony. Three FE lenses, three FE bodies.
There's five FE lenses available right now - I was tempted to buy the G telephoto zoom, but thankfully resisted.
https://www.sony.com.au/nex-lens/feature/Introducing-the-future-of-Sony-fullframe-lenses/582208
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
There's five FE lenses available right now - I was tempted to buy the G telephoto zoom, but thankfully resisted.
https://www.sony.com.au/nex-lens/feature/Introducing-the-future-of-Sony-fullframe-lenses/582208
My mistake.

Go Sony!!!

04-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Go Sony!!!
It's a really aggressive lens release schedule. I hope they deliver in time - the next 3 on the roadmap are the ones I really want. After that, I don't really care if Sony releases another lens or not, I would have pretty much all the ones I want. As it is I already own 14 E-mount lenses - I can't even find a bag large enough to hold all of them.
04-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anyone see this yet: Unveiled: Sony a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera | explora

So, B&H is gearing up to be among the first seller(s) of this new toy!

JP
04-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #55
Pentaxian

4K sucks. 6k what it's all about! Seriously, if your 4K comes off the camera in say H264 you're going to want to convert it to an editing format for post processing if you're doing more than cuts and transitions. Have some mass storage space available to archive all that 4k too.

And a pretty powerful computer can bog down with a lot of fancy editing with 1080p. I used 3 computers in a server farm setup once to trans code my final output and that took a while. I can't image what 4K would have been like. And the bandwidth needed to stream low quality 4K on the web would stream some pretty high quality 720/1080p video I'd think.
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #56
Banned

Original Poster
Sony Alpha 7s – Hands on Review by Den Lennie

QuoteQuote:
Shooting with the Sony Alpha 7s – First impressions

In early February, Sony asked me if I could put some time aside in mid-March to shoot a demo reel for a new camera they were creating.

I can now reveal that this was the Alpha 7s. It’s a full frame 35mm hand held mirror-less camera with a 12MP full read out, no line skipping sensor.

This camera has been optimised for video shooting and is very impressive.

The low light capability is staggering with maximum ISO set at 409,600…

We’ve been using it very comfortably at 12,600 ISO and the images are clean and have great resolution.

Not only does the camera record at 1920×1080 50mb/s XAVCs on to SDXC cards but you can take uncompressed 4K out via micro HDMI into an external 4K recorder.

The biggest plus as far as I’m concerned is the implementation of S-Log2 as an option when recording. This enables you to take advantage of a wide dynamic range and grade up in post.
Sony Alpha 7s - Hands on Review by Den Lennie - F-Stop Academy

04-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I wonder whether the ISO 50 are real or just the pitiful, dynamic range reducing over-exposure trick that Canon used to do.

The A7s certainly is exciting with its full sensor read-out for video (no line-skipping). The latter is most likely the reason for 12MP (as opposed to "bigger pixels" for better "low-light performance"; the latter is just a myth).
04-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #58
Banned

Original Poster
Sony a7s high ISO testing up to 80,000 iso !

QuoteQuote:
Sony let me play around with the a7s a little more. While they wouldn't let me put a memory card in the show floor prototype, they did allow me to film the output display as I ran the ISO all the way up to a remarkable 80,000 ISO.

While the Sony a7s doesn't shoot internal 4k, the low light performance on this camera is nothing short of amazing.

04-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Using that logic, many people might ask why you use a DSLR or other large sensor camera to take photos when most people are content using a cell phone or P&S.
I was replying to what was already an implied blanket statement of "the birth of a child requires 4k" clearly it doesn't.

I don't go claiming that because I like to shoot with better than a cell phone that others need to as well.
04-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #60
Banned

Original Poster
B&H : More info about the new 28-135mm f/4.0 FE powerzoom and A7s XLR kit

More info about the new 28-135mm f/4.0 FE powerzoom and A7s XLR kit. | sonyalpharumors

The image on top shows oyu the new 28-135mm f/4.0 FE Powerzoom lens on the new A7s. You can here some more interesting tidbits about the lens from ninute 6:00 of that video:

It looks like Sony is going all out with the full frame E mount system now and not so much with the legacy Minolta A mount (A77,A99 etc).