Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that's a $200 difference, not $100.
Internet prices vary day by day. When I looked, the difference was 100 dollars. Tomorrow it might be 50 or 250. Wait another day if you don't like the price you see... it'll change.

But even 200 dollars, at that price point, isn't that big a deal when you are stuck with either the Sony lens system (meh) or with adapted lenses.

QuoteQuote:
i'm not buying a new junk camera body that has to be sent to service before it can be used
Plenty of people never had to send theirs in, like Ken Rockwell, for example. You only send it in if it develops the problem. Like the original K5 a few years ago, same thing.

QuoteQuote:
you've limited your options with canikon, the only thing that you have is what canikon gives you... the nex mount lets you buy the most cost-effective, highest performing lens you want, from any platform.
Yeah, because nobody ever made adapters to adapt other systems (including PK) to Canon...

Plus, you have a great system with Canon so you might not have to go around adapting all sorts of lenses to it. With Sony it's a necessity - Sony just doesn't have a great lens system. Nikon does, too, like Canon, and there's the added value of using old Nikon manual lenses, which are great.

So you have to weight all these things into consideration and to me, the 200 dollar difference becomes a no-brainer when you think of all that the Canon and Nikon offer in terms of a system.

04-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Internet prices vary day by day. When I looked, the difference was 100 dollars. Tomorrow it might be 50 or 250. Wait another day if you don't like the price you see... it'll change.

But even 200 dollars, at that price point, isn't that big a deal when you are stuck with either the Sony lens system (meh) or with adapted lenses.
it's still a $200 price difference today

Plenty of people never had to send theirs in, like Ken Rockwell, for example. You only send it in if it develops the problem. Like the original K5 a few years ago, same thing.
why buy nikon junk in the first place? my neighbor was a full-time pro shooter for decades, always nikon, he got a d7000 when they first hit the market, had to send it in three times to get a usable autofocus.

great flash system, but....

Plus, you have a great system with Canon so you might not have to go around adapting all sorts of lenses to it. With Sony it's a necessity - Sony just doesn't have a great lens system. Nikon does, too, like Canon, and there's the added value of using old Nikon manual lenses, which are great.
you can use all of the sony "a" mount lenses on e-mount, they have the same functionality that they have on the sony cameras that they came with.

ain't knowledge a wonderful thing?

plus you get evf magnify, which blows away anything that canon and nikon have ever put in a viewfinder.
04-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #33
Pentaxian

why buy nikon junk in the first place?
You wanna have an intelligent conversation throwing around trolling comments like this?

I know people with Nikons that never had a problem.

Every manufacturer has a percentage of stuff that goes out there with problems, otherwise none of them would need to offer a warranty!

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-22-2014 at 07:55 AM.
04-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
osv
Veteran Member

You wanna have an intelligent conversation throwing around trolling comments like this?

I know people with Nikons that never had a problem.
same here... i just don't want to roll the dice with a company that did such a poor job of supporting their oily sensor issue.

how long did that problem exist, before they finally stepped up with the replacement program?

and the problem isn't confined to just one model of nikon camera:

"If you're going to clean oil on the filter/sensor double check that the cleaning fluid is for removing oils. The regular eclipse fluid I tried the first time just smeared things around. The visible dust fluid (for oil) cleaned the oil up without smearing.

If it's oiled up badly (my D800 was), you'll use a bunch of swabs and it won't be cheap. The local authorized service centers will do a really good job free under warranty."

Nikon D4/D800 issues

Look how beautiful those e-mount lenses look on the full frame A7!!!

(full frame e-mount lenses are much more expensive and harder to come by, as I'm sure you know, since you pride yourself so much in your superior knowledge)
i just told you that all of the a-mount full-frame lenses are fully usable on e-mount... lots of legacy glass, cheap.

plus all of the minolta manual focus stuff as well.

04-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

both the d610 and the 6d are $1900:
Go buy a broken canon powershot of ebay. Call canon loyalty program. Buy a refurbed 6d for around $1450 shipped. Actual amount varies buy state sales tax.

Here is an overview, a bit dated, but this is how the program works
Canon Loyalty Program FAQs (Originally from POTN)
04-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

i just told you that all of the a-mount full-frame lenses are fully usable on e-mount... lots of legacy glass, cheap.

plus all of the minolta manual focus stuff as well.
You kind of forgot to mention the 350 dollar adaptor needed for that.

There goes your 200 dollar savings, and then some...
04-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
osv
Veteran Member

i used to have a powershot, it was a great camera!

these deals come and go... last month there was this for sony:

Adorama: Sony A7, A7R Trade-In Program
Purchase a new Sony A7, A7 kit or A7R + trade ANY used camera in ANY condition from ANY manufacturer and you'll get: $300 instant trade-in credit, $50 Adorama Gift card and 4% Adorama rewards.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 11:00 AM ----------

You kind of forgot to mention the 350 dollar adaptor needed for that.

There goes your 200 dollar savings, and then some...
you don't have to get that adapter.

i'm using full-frame a-mount with a $25 adapter, albeit in full manual mode... that way i can evaluate the pq of the glass, before making a decision about getting the autofocus adapter.

the $350 adapter price will be minimized in the long run, because of the cheaper prices of the a-mount glass, vs. used nikon glass, some of which can be pricey.

the only thing i want from nikon is the 14-24, because it's the best there is in that range... and the nikon flash system, because the flagship sony f60m flash has a horrible rep for overheating :-0 talk about junk! lol

i got a brand new one for $315, shipped to my door... can't touch that ratio of gn vs. $$ from any other brand! not even close... just don't try using it at full power in a production setting

04-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Well, so you are paying 1700 dollars on a body to use full manual lenses in full manual programming mode...

Yeah, congrats on saving those 200 dollars... I'll pay more than 200 to have AF and some metering, thank you very much...

Somehow I don't think yours is the setup that the OP had in mind...
04-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #39
osv
Veteran Member

true, the o.p. stated that he definitely didn't want mirrorless... but he's not the only person reading this thread, so i'm pointing out alternatives.

my neighbor was basically forced to retire from his full-time pro wedding/sports shooting biz, shut it down, because he developed some kind of carpal tunnel mess in his left elbow, from lugging that heavy nikon film/dslr gear around for all those years.

like the o.p., i also thought that i had to have full-frame... overall i've come out way ahead, vs. the old k10d, but it would have been a much narrower tradeoff, if i had switched from, say, a k-3.

for the car stuff, it looks like i'm having to go from shooting ~f/5 400iso, to f/8 500iso/1250iso(depending on the light), just to get the same dof and exposure that i had five years ago.

if i had gotten a crop sensor k-3 instead of the a7r, i could have kept that same ~f/5 aperture, and had killer iso capability to boot... along with being able to use all three of my expensive pentax p-ttl flashes.

going to full-frame also meant having to deal with lens curvature at wide angles, which i never dreamed would be as bad as it is... 24mm lenses on full frame are a nightmare, as i documented in that other thread out here.

most people don't notice or don't care if 1/3rd of the picture frame is mush due to lens curvature, so ymmv.

i'm just saying, be careful what you wish for, lol
04-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

If its just a matter of Canon vs. Nikon:
I would recommend Nikon for ease of use.
04-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
If its just a matter of Canon vs. Nikon:
I would recommend Nikon for ease of use.
A bit of a digression here, but...

I talked to my father this morning. He's a former Pentax shooter and he's now firmly in the Nikon camp - has been for a couple of years. His opinion is that Nikons are clumsy and hard to use. If he could jump back to Pentax he probably would but he's too invested in the Nikon lenses. It's not a matter of money but a matter of time and effort to sell off one system and gear up on the other. He's 74 and just doesn't have the desire to cycle through all that.

FF, APS, u4/3... it's all a wash in his mind. Just get the right lens for what you are trying to do and just do it.
04-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #42
HSV
Veteran Member

Since I shoot quite a bit at events at night, low light AF efficacy is a must, and in this regards, Nikon is the best I've seen. Depending on your application it might matter or not.

In low light AF, it cannot be compared to any mirrorless (I have used a NEX-6 and an E-M5). The K-5 IIs is almost there, still a tiny bit behind the D600 (in regards to low light AF), which is way better than a Canon 70D.
04-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
A bit of a digression here, but...

I talked to my father this morning. He's a former Pentax shooter and he's now firmly in the Nikon camp - has been for a couple of years. His opinion is that Nikons are clumsy and hard to use. If he could jump back to Pentax he probably would but he's too invested in the Nikon lenses. It's not a matter of money but a matter of time and effort to sell off one system and gear up on the other. He's 74 and just doesn't have the desire to cycle through all that.

FF, APS, u4/3... it's all a wash in his mind. Just get the right lens for what you are trying to do and just do it.
I don't consider that to be digression. I couldn't agree more.
Specifically, I find the Nikon D7000 to be more user-friendly than the Canon 70D.
Both are representative of what their brands offer. Both were made obsolete in my house by the K-3.
04-22-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I talked to my father this morning. He's a former Pentax shooter and he's now firmly in the Nikon camp - has been for a couple of years. His opinion is that Nikons are clumsy and hard to use.
I'll offer you a contrasting opinion. I have both Nikon and Pentax gear. There is no difference on ease of use. They shoot the same once you learn each system. One can argue over stupid little things but the bottom line is if you can't adapt to any camera system out there then turn in your photographer's membership card at the door when you leave.
04-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
bottom line is if you can't adapt to any camera system out there then turn in your photographer's membership card at the door when you leave.
That's a little harsh on a 74 year old perhaps?